train sounds

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Nancy BitterNancy Bitter
    Participant

What are your favorite notes to make an awesome train sound?  I need one for the opening of a song I am working on.   Wreck of the Old 97in D.  Thanks

Nancy BitterNancy Bitter
    Participant

forgot to check the email box

cricketcricket
    Participant

I’ve tried various things … don’t know if i know what works or what doesn’t, but usually I think if you can get the Doppler Effect going with any double stop…(i.e., the effect of the moving train on the sound waves so that the whistle gradually drops down in pitch as it hurries by)…just grab any double stop you can and gradually slide it downward in pitch…I mean, I think that’s a start.  I’ve heard people get some chugging sounds too…on the Orange Blossom Special lesson here, which is way too hard for me…lol…John shows a sort of scraping technique with the bow that gives some train sounds…maybe he shows some more too…I can’t remember now.  Even though the lesson is pretty hard, some of those train techniques might be doable on their own.

• This reply was modified 2 weeks ago by cricketcricket.
    John (BGD)John (BGD)
    Keymaster

A good train whistle in D is to play D2 and A0 together, then slide the D2 flat, then back into place, all on one bow stroke.

Nancy BitterNancy Bitter
    Participant

Thanks John & Crickett!!  I like the “sliding” idea.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.