Trivia question number…3,000, or so, is it?????

Best Online Fiddle Lessons Forums What else is on your mind? Trivia question number…3,000, or so, is it?????

This topic contains 4 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by cricket cricket 4 weeks ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    cricket
    cricket
    Participant

A few days ago I linked a video of WV fiddler, John Morris, playing Sugar in the Gourd.  Great fiddling…but…what was sugar doing in the gourd?  (Jeopardy tune;;;da,da,da da, da da daaaa, etc.)  Maybe it’s too easy???/ Or…maybe it’s too tough???

John Cockman
    Keymaster

I think sugar is in the gourd for dancers to sprinkle on the dancing board to make it slick. Sometimes the gourd gets kicked around on the dance floor and with each kick, sugar comes out like salt from a shaker. There is also a saying for when someone is doing something very quickly: “He’s knocking sugar in the gourd.”

Well I’m goin’ down the road and I met her on a board,
    And the wind from her shoes knocked Sugar in the Gourd;
    Sugar in the Gourd and the gourd upon the ground,
    Well you wanna get to sugar got to break it all around.

Chorus:
    Sugar in the Gourd and you can’t get it out,
    When you wanna get to sugar got to break it all about.

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

Yay…we got an answer…yes it’s for dancing.  Are you all avoiding the water, John?

John Cockman
    Keymaster

We are in the process of drying out from Florence. We sent building supplies down east yesterday with a contractor friend, everyone here is trying to figure out ways to help. We all have family and friends effected.

I’ve played a lot of dances, and I’ve seen a lot of stuff shaken onto the floor. Fine sugar works well enough, but if it gets wet it becomes a sticky mess lol. Actually I’m not the most coordinated dancer, so I feel safer when the floor is clean and powder-free. 🙂

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

Yeah…sugar sounds like the worst choice, really, but it mighta been okay on the puncheon floors, maybe.  I’ve seen sand, salt, sugar…I just don’t dance…the world is a safer place that way.

Glad you made it through the hurricane…it sounds like it really did a number on lots of towns.  I hope your friends and family affected will be able to recuperate soon.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Posted in