Trying to cross-tune…

Online Fiddle Lessons Forums Strings and Things Trying to cross-tune…

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Participant

And my D string goes straight to E flat.  Trying to tune to AEAE to play wagon wheel.  I can’t tighten the E string much more without breaking it.  Ideas?

Participant

I play a lot of my A tunes crossed AEAE and while there are a lot of variables that can make that difficult such as the height of the bridge, the biggest factor is the type of stings you have. Many will pop of you try to tune the D string up to E. I use Red label and or Prelude and don’t have any issues ever.

Participant

Thanks, Brandon!

I got it figured out – my new tuner was saying E flat, where my old tuner (Snark) called it D sharp.  I got it tuned to E, but certainly can’t go past that, don’t need to though.

I’ve been using D’Addario Helicore strings

Participant

Older strings are more vulnerable to snapping as you know. My question is more one of whether the fiddle likes the new tuning and do you put it back into standard when done for the day so it remembers its normal shape. There are lots of great songs in alternative tuning, for sure and I’ll be playing them. I have a cheaper used fiddle that I will be doing the alternate tunings on when I just love a tune and must learn it.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.