Tuning a violin bridge , sound post and so on ?

This topic contains 5 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by cricket cricket 1 month ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Steve Srader
    Steve Srader
    Participant

Recently I started messing with violin bridges and tail pieces ? The first link is tuning the violin bridge !

http://violinresearch.com/acousticaladjustment_004.htm

The next link is tuning the sound post ?

http://www.violinresearch.com/violin_080.htm

The next is carving and shaping the bridge ?

http://violinresearch.com/acousticaladjustment_013.htm

Even the tail piece can be tuned I find it all memorizing and interesting I have old bridges to play with , so one I carved out like the one site said and It did make for a interesting out come louder and easier to play , However I did have to redo the feet to fit the violin I was putting it on, and it made it a extremally low action , I thought this will never work but to my surprise it doe’s not buzz and increased the volume , I have a couple new high grade bridges coming and intend to do them to spec. with E string to 3/16 off end of finger board ! So I will share the outcome when it happens , I wish there was a meter to accurately measure the tap tones but I do not believe there is so I will just have to believe my ears ! Ha

Great Scott
    Great Scott

Thank you, Steve, for all this great information.  I can’t wait to hear how your new bridges sound.

Edmo45
    Edmo45
    Participant

Some interesting articles, Steve. I read a lot of articles, on tuning the Violin, adjusting the Soundpost and adjusting/shaping the Bridge, too. I am pretty comfortable with adjusting or setting the Soundpost or the Bridge. I just began shaping Bridges, this year.

As I had been playing on 3 different Acoustic Violins, it was always a bit of an adjustment, when changing instruments, as the Bridges were shaped a little differently, on each one.

When one of the old Bridges, broke, it gave me the opportunity to try shaping one, myself. I ordered a new Bridge, off Amazon, (about $10.00 for a Teller Bridge, from Germany). When it arrived, I tried playing it, just as it was…it sounded fine, but was more difficult to play, because it was taller, than my other Violin Bridges. So, I removed it, and set it in, next to the Bridge, on my easiest to play Violin, to see the difference. It was approximately 1/8” taller and not shaped the same. It was noticeably taller on the “G” string side. So, I sanded the new Bridge down, to the shape and size, of the lower and easier to play, “Fiddle” Bridge. This made a big difference in playability! I really like playing this Violin, now…in fact, I really just play this one instrument, all the time, now. This also encouraged me, to shape the third Violin’s Bridge, the same way. Again, now, that instrument is easier to play. It is still a more sensitive instrument, requiring more precision, in my playing, and, it is much louder, than my everyday Violin. I am still working on it, to get it more, to my liking. It also has a French Harp Tailpiece, which is shaped differently than a traditional Tailpiece, which may also account for the difference in Sound Projection, too. I ordered another Tailpiece, for it…, a Traditional one, to see the effect replacing that Harp Tailpiece has.

fiddlewood
    fiddlewood
    Participant

After watching my luthier make quite dramatic adjustments to the  blending/balance of the strings with tiny micro-sized reductions to specific areas of the bridge to change the character of certain strings on my fiddle I would never think of attempting this stuff on my own any more.

Best of luck with your experimentations!

• This reply was modified 1 month ago by fiddlewood fiddlewood.
    Steve Srader
    Steve Srader
    Participant

Dave I know what your talking about , If I could  find a good Luthier , I would gladly pay for the work in order to get a tuned violin bridge , The violins you buy in house may have a good name bridge and the arch shaped but not carved or tuned , I have bought three different violins and none of the bridges have been carved , they are only sanded for thickness and height and all had a high string action .

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

I didn’t have time to actually read the articles, but I will later.  Thanks for linking them, Steve.  I have read similar things and it’s very intimidating to me…I wish I knew of a good luthier and I also wish I could afford him if I ever found him, or her or whoever.  At the moment, I try to tell my husband, Mike what I do understand about it and he seems to be able to get things going pretty good for me.  He doesn’t know about music, but he’s pretty good with understanding how things work together and at putting them together, etc.  He did carve my bridges on my two fiddles, and did a good job.  I have a new tailpiece to put on one of these days soon, since I discovered my tailpiece was cracked after breaking a string and needing to change them…so…I’ll make sure he reads up on all that before replacing that.  Fiddles scare me…lol.  Seems every tiny thing is so vastly important…I’m just scared to do anything at all.  I can usually talk Mike into it.  The one luthier I know of around here who works on BLuegrass people’s fiddles I wasn’t very happy with…way overpriced, slow (he was never in his shop when his hours were supposed to be and impossible to get ahold of), and I hated the way it sounded when I got it back…it was the fiddle that was coming apart at the seams, no soundpost, no bridge…somebody found it in the trash somewhere and I bought it for 50.00.  He did glue it back together ok…but I hated the bridge, where the soundpost was, the price, and just trying to get in touch with him or get it back from him…lol.  I think there are more luthiers around here that work on classical…their prices are way out of possible reach for me and they set things up all different anyway.  So I will read the articles soon, explain it all to Mike…he’s my only luthier for now…lol.  He did a great job putting my geared tuners in too…lol.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Posted in