Tuning and Fine Tuners

This topic contains 4 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by cricket cricket 3 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    mccraackle58
    Participant

Hi, I just got new strings and am tuning them every time I turn around. How long until they kind of calm down and settle in? Second question, I guess I’m not good at tuning, because I’m wearing out the thread on the fine tuners. Are these easy to replace on your own? Are they universal for any fiddle or specific?

Gunnar Salyer
    Gunnar Salyer
    Participant

First answer, it depends on your fiddle and string type, but you can expect it to be about five days before it settles in. Second answer, I believe they are universal, and easy to replace, although I don’t think it’s normal for the threads to wear out ? hope this helps

Angela
    Participant

I don’t think it’s normal for the threads to wear out either.  Do you have them all the way screwed in maybe?  If so, unscrew them about half way and try to get a balance with the pegs/fine tuners so they stay about halfway unscrewed.

Steve Srader
    Steve Srader
    Participant

What Gunnar and Angela said , You can also rub pencil lead against the fine tuner threads to lubricate and make them easy to turn , You can also replace your tuning pegs with Wittner geared pegs and make your violin a dream to tune !

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

If you don’t wanna put geared pegs in, you can also just apply some peg dope to the pegs whenever you change strings…it just makes tuning from the pegs a lot easier…maybe won’t need to rely on the fine tuners as much.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.