Twinkle Little Star (Rag) key of G

Online Fiddle Lessons Forums Tune-specific help and comments Twinkle Little Star (Rag) key of G

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    KennyKenny
    Participant

Probably a question for John, Dave, Angie, Nancy or Fred. (sorry if I missed anyone using the shuffle pattern)

You can find this under the sheet music tab. “Twinkle Little Star” Rag

Would this tab layout be a candidate for the Nashville Shuffle pattern?  No slurs are indicated, but I’m thinking you wouldn’t want to just saw back and forth on this one.
    Any thoughts?
    Kenny

• This topic was modified 1 week, 6 days ago by KennyKenny.
    • This topic was modified 1 week, 6 days ago by KennyKenny.
    John (BGD)John (BGD)
    Keymaster

Great question, Kenny — this one is not as straight-forward as some others, but there is a lot of shuffling in there. In version 1, you want to follow the Nashville shuffle on measures 1,4,5,8,12,13,15,17,20,24,28,29,31

KennyKenny
    Participant

Thanks John,

Just to be clear what bowing would I use in measures 2 and 3?  I assume saw stroke on 2 and 3.

I started working on Silver Bells western and it got me to thinking about the Nashville shuffle.  I find my right hand is very undisciplined even after I scold it numerous times!

• This reply was modified 1 week, 5 days ago by KennyKenny.
    fiddlewoodfiddlewood
    Participant

Which version?

In version one: either could be played separate strokes or reversed NS.

Just trying it out myself (having not heard it) I like slurs on the middle two pairs of notes in measure 2 and reverse NS on measure three.

version 2: measure 2: suggest slurring middle pairs again

measure 3: lots of possible variations, but I’d probably try downbow first three notes, up on next wo, down on next two, down on last note.

NOte: these are just what I’d try…I don’t really know the emphasis requirements of a “rag” so I could be way off…

• This reply was modified 1 week, 4 days ago by fiddlewoodfiddlewood.
    KennyKenny
    Participant

Hello Dave.  Glad you are still checking the site.  I was talking about version 1 and am just trying a few tunes to learn the Nashville shuffle better.  It took me a while to realize that a slur could be played on the long strokes. Old Joe Clark and Silver Bells Western seem to use the shuffle well.

fiddlewoodfiddlewood
    Participant

HI Ken, yes, I’m still around. Playing several hours nearly daily.

Hope you’re doing well.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.