Uhh… Is this Normal?

Online Fiddle Lessons Forums General Help Forum Uhh… Is this Normal?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    MariaR
    Participant

Hi! I was just wondering if it’s normal for your violin to have a slight crack that runs up the violin from the chin rest area to the bridge. I noticed one on my violin and wasn’t sure what to do about it.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Joe
    Participant

Better take it in to a violin shop to get it looked at and probably repaired. That is definitely not normal. If its not to bad they will probably just put some glue in the crack.

ruckydoo
    Participant

Hi Maria,

That is an unusual place for a crack and it probably will affect the sounds of your instrument.   Glue  is used to hold the instrument together but only where pieces come together and it is usually a special type that allows luthiers to take it apart for repairs.

If you are a beginner,  your fiddle may work to learn the basics and then upgrade.  I just did that myself but played a weak fiddle for years.     Good luck and enjoy this wonderful pastime.

Frederick
    Participant

Your violin is in need of a small repair. Often times fiddlers or repair folks will tighten the chin rest too tightly and it will create a crack that runs all the way to the bridge area. Or it might be that the sound post was cut too long and cracked the fiddle top from the bridge all the way back to the rear end.

I’ve used Elmer’s glue, white carpenter’s glue and even super glue on cracks before to great avail….but always on cheap fiddles, never valuable ones. I would just dab a toothpick with glue and carefully try to get it down into the seam but don’t try to spread the crack to make it easier. It worked fine to stop the spread. But some cracks can’t be stopped this way. Best to see a qualified repair person.

In any event, good luck to you. Best wishes.

MariaR
    Participant

Thanks, guys! I will get that looked at as soon as possible.

I don’t think I will be able to glue it by myself mostly because glue does not agree with me and I don’t want to risk damaging anything.

cricket
    Participant

I’d feel the same way if it was me, Maria.  Some people feel confident enough to fix their own…I sure don’t…lol…of course, then it’s a matter of finding a good luthier who knows fiddles (there’s plenty of guitar luthiers in my area with reputations for destroying fiddles…lol…scarcity of fiddle luthiers) and coming up with enough money to pay for their services…anyway, hope you can get yours fixed without too much trouble.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.