Violin case humidifiers

Best Online Fiddle Lessons Forums Strings and Things Violin case humidifiers

This topic contains 13 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by cricket cricket 5 days ago.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    rodger
    rodger
    Participant

Dreaded dry doldrums destroying de viddle & desperate to defuse da dilema.

I had a standard water filled tube type humidifier…until something went wrong & it leaked out, almost destroying my fiddle.  So last winter I would just put a wet tissue in a plastic pouch & kind of use that to some degree.  Then summer came.  In winter our humidity will go below 10% a lot & the fiddle has to go on lithium to keep from cracking up.  They have come out with some new type humidifiers & I just wondered if anyone has any words of wisdom from using any of these.  You guys back east don’t have the problem we have out west/up north, with the super dry/cold air.

(Cricket…tree up? Already?  We always used to do our shopping, get our tree, & put it up….on Christmas eve!)

Gunnar Salyer
    Gunnar Salyer
    Participant

I have no intel on the tech you speak of, but, I know that in dire circumstances, you can fill a bathtub with water, and dunk your fiddle in. This helps greatly, as you will then be forced to see your friendly neighborhood luthier, which is what you needed in the first place.

Disclaimer: please do not use this advice on any musical instruments, functional or otherwise. I accept no responsibility for any damage to persons, fiddles, or any other object due to negligence either on the part of the company or wicked feline household creature etcetera etcetera. I also formally apologize for being utterly unhelpful, but hope this makes someone smile

rodger
    rodger
    Participant

To be perfectly honest…no..I never even thought of keeping my fiddle in the bathtub. That would definitely solve the dryness problem, …but just maybe that would be a overkill.  I might need some more advice from someone who has done that?

rodger
    rodger
    Participant

Another solution, as opposed to a case humidifier, would be to build a small cabinet that would hold several, or all of your fiddles.  Then you could hang all of them in it, and rig up some kind of humidifier for the entire cabinet. If you have several fiddles, that would be a lot better than having small humidifiers in every case.

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

Yeah the bathtub solution sounds like the ultimate solution…lol…meaning…ULTIMATE..no further problems…lol.  Well I know back east it doesn’t get the dry cold like what you guys get, but do you heat with wood?  We always kept a kettle of water on the woodstove when we did.  I miss doing that and now I run a humidfier that cost maybe 15.oo…it’s just a little thing…since I moved my fiddles upstairs, if i do a lot of cooking, which I normally do, plus washing dishes quite a bit and having hot water standing in the sink a lot…I think that helps with our situation.  I’ve heard old timers talking about keeping apple slices in a fiddle case…supposedly the apple dries and gives off water…but I don’t know how that was actually done, or even if it was actually done.  Maybe somebody else knows a good way.

Well Rodger, yeah, we got our tree up early.  Our grandson, once he got the Tiny Tim part and started going to rehearsals, etc., then with the show starting right around Thanksgiving…he got bigtime into Christmas this year and came over one day and begged to let him decorate the tree…so we got our little poor ol plastic tree down and set it up so he could decorate it.  We usually have a very quiet Christmas around here and nothing happens much, but this year with him being in the play, we’ve got old friends coming from afar and seeeing more people than we’ve seen since we moved up here 30 years ago…lol.  So…yeah we got the tree all lit up and lots of stuff is happening.

rodger
    rodger
    Participant

Dad always put an apple slice in his can of tobacco to keep it fresh.  That might work just fine in the fiddle case also? Thanks for reminding me…

Steve Srader
    Steve Srader
    Participant

Rodger I keep my violin cleaned and polished and I run a humidifier in the winter in my man cave where I keep my instruments if It drops below 30 on the humidity , I run the humidifier 24/7 , 30%to 50% is a ok zone

rodger
    rodger
    Participant

As far as house humidifiers…I have tried many, but they don’t work for long because we have a calcium/lime type deposits in our water that plug them up.  My house has a lot of air flow …it’s not tightly sealed because I have a big fireplace going all the time, and it’s a challenge to keep it humid.  Our humidity outside will drop below 10% at times during the winter, and I keep a bedroom window open a lot.  It’s a big problem out here with extremely cold, dry air that bears little humidity.

Gunnar Salyer
    Gunnar Salyer
    Participant

We have calcium in our water too, and if you find a solution I want to know it. I think what might help is storing your fiddle in a sauna out back. Or get a carbon fiber fiddle. I have a cf guitar and it’s great. Not sure how a fiddle in cf would be

rodger
    rodger
    Participant

It’s such a pain to even bother with putting a fiddle in a case…take it out…put it in… all the time.  If there was room where you could just humidify that room and keep it shut up tight, would be simple.  But I do have to work out the case option.  There are some jell packet type case humidifiers available now.  Just wondered if anyone has used them…

Gunnar Salyer
    Gunnar Salyer
    Participant

I know a lot of people have rooms that they humidify and keep instruments in there, which is (when possible) a good option. As to the gel packs, as long as it’s not silica gel….

Icebike
    Icebike
    Participant

A friend , who has several stringed instruments, built a rack in his bathroom, where he keeps them when not playing.  Highest humidity in the house.  I’ve managed ok so far with a small water-bottle type humidifier in the case, even though our humidity is quite low in the winter.

Joe

John Cockman
    Keymaster

I use the Dampit humidifiers. We are really dry here now, my daughter’s Martin developed a crack this week. We are now running a humidifier in the music room.

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

Ouch…a crack in the Martin?  What year is that guitar?  I got my first Martin, several years back…my husband and daughter bought it for me online for some birthday…long time ago…when she was still in college I think it was…anyway…I didn’t have it long until I noticed a crack…then I contacted Martin because I figured it had to have been there when I got it, but just didn’t notice.  They were like…nope that’s your fault because you should humidfy your house.  I’m like…well I don’t even have central heat, and it’s damp here most of the winter, so I do run a little room humidfier from the drugstore unless I’m cooking a lot and the windows are steaming up, etc., plus I’ve got 7 other guitars, some of them old Fenders, one of those old Fenders never having had a case and having been carried around in all kinds of weather in a pillow case, etc., subjected to wood stove heat, etc., and it ain’t got no problems…etc.  Well, Martin says to me too bad…then, I read on a Martin guitar players forum there had been a warehouse fire back around the year I got my D-18…and to save money, Martin used that wood that had been in the fire to make guitars and they were subject to cracking.  Of course if that was true, Martin would not want anything to do with that.  I got fed up and sold that guitar…really traded it for a good guitar case and a hand-made dulcimer…i know I got the low end of that deal, but I was fed up with the Martin company…the ONLY guitar I’ve ever had that cracked.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Posted in