Violin Mute

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Participant

I live in an apartment now for school reasons and I don’t want to be disturbing to roommates.  I haven’t really been getting that much practice due to that.  So does anyone think a mute is a good tool to use?

I have one of the plastic ones but I don’t really like how it sounds.  It just sounds weird. So has anyone had to deal with a similar situation or is the mute a good way to go?

Thanks

Steve SraderSteve Srader
    Participant

You can use headphones with a electric violin and not make any noise , just google silent violin with headphones and get full sound for yourself without disturbing others ! Some electric violins are pretty cheap ! $100.00 or less

• This reply was modified 2 weeks, 4 days ago by Steve SraderSteve Srader.
    jazzstudentjazzstudent
    Participant

Currently, I am using a mute to practice in the evening after my wife has gone to bed.  My feeling is that the mute kills the sound of the instrument so completely that it is sometimes hard to get a accurate feeling for what I am playing and how the practice will translate into a musical statement when the mute is removed.  As soon as I can afford it, I am going to pick up an electric violin with an earphone jack.  That will allow me to play silently, but still hear what the full instrument sounds like through the headphones.

The mute, while not an ideal solution, is cheap and will certainly allow you to practice while you consider alternatives.

Bill

Participant

Thank you!  I’ll check out these electric violins

I find the sound is completely different when I play without the mute that it sometimes throws me off.

Participant

This sounds and looks kinda funny but it’s effective and doesn’t alter the tone too much- take a clothespin and clip it on the bridge (that will take it down a bit) if you need more just stick a cut-up sock or piece of cloth in the f holes. I do it all the time.

jazzstudentjazzstudent
    Participant

Here is a place you might start to look:

Electric Violins

I recently bought a good bow from Fiddlershop.  I live on a lake in British Columbia, Canada.  There is not a violin shop within a hundred miles of me.  I don’t like buying stuff over the internet, but my experience with Fiddlershop was great and I will likely buy my electric fiddle from them.  Even if you get an inexpensive one, they set everything up before they send it out, and the delivery is fast and to your doorstep.  I was very pleased with the whole process . . . and, the bow is very good.

Bill

• This reply was modified 2 weeks, 3 days ago by jazzstudentjazzstudent.
    Participant

I bought a super cheap electric one online (around $50 USD) just for the reasons you mentioned — I don’t particularly like what a mute does to the tone, but also because I could play in the middle of the night.

The one I got could work as either a violin or viola depending on the strings and considering it’s merely a hunk of solid wood cut into a violin shape.

The one thing I didn’t know when I got it was that the bridge was super high. So you could expect to shape it carefully to a reasonable height — not a terribly critical deal if you’re just using a cheap-o for practice. I also got a new set of modestly cheap strings that improved the sound from what it came with. I was taking my cues from some YouTube videos, and since I knew nothing about fiddles whatsoever I followed their advice. It works.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.