Wall photos for the curious

Best Online Fiddle Lessons Forums What else is on your mind? Wall photos for the curious

This topic contains 16 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by cricket cricket 1 month ago.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    cricket
    cricket
    Participant

I took lots of photos from my cell phone along the way, but because of the way it’s situated, you just can’t get a good picture of the whole thing.  Anyway, here’s a shot of the actual blocks, Allan blocks, placed up the wall…there are two or three layers underneath the dirt…we dug way down, filled it with gravel, tamped the living daylights out of that, and began going up, and buired the first few layers of block…then there’s a terrible photo of the front yard that used to exist…lol…used to be my scattered edible yard plus playground for our three little chihuahuas, plus the apple tree for shade and climbing (no apples…came from a seed)…little picket fence all around and I always grew sunflowers just on the side of the road on the other side of the picket fence…now it’s extra gravel we had left, raked out to try to begin the process of two driveways…kinda in the process for the next few months until we can financially recuperate and just get mentally prepared for that project, plus figure out exactly how we want to do that.  Then, of course, my jack-o-lantern…lol…I don’t cut pumpkins anymore…I bake them.  Why waste all of that food?  So this year I’m just attaching construction eyes, etc., and figured he might need ears in case I get time to play some fiddle before baking day, which will be the day after Halloween.

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

Oops…I had to re-submit a couple of those…hopefully theyre all there now.

MoonShadows
    MoonShadows
    Participant

Great wall, cricket. That must have been some job. I am a fan of landscaping walls, so to speak. I like building them from stone I collect from around the property. Or, should I say, I used to build them when I was younger…and, I have had two carpal tunnel surgeries to prove it! Now, I just build little ones.

This is a rock garden I am in the process of building:

This is a path I made a few years back.

You can see a large wall on the left of this pic. It has two levels and curved staircase.

This is one I built along one side of my driveway.

Here’s a better picture of it, but a small one. That’s an old barn foundation in the back.

Here’s to the continuation you can see on the left side of the above picture.. This wall has a iron wrought fence in the middle of it.

I also like to embed things in my rock walls.

This one I built to take the slope out of my side yard.

So I am little wall crazy…some say rock crazy.

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

Great job on those beautiful walls and landscaping, Jim.  You’re really good at that!

Ours was just done out of necessity…the old timber wall was caving and dangerous, and it was buckling the siding on the house and just in really bad shape…we knew it for a few years, but werekept so busy helping people that were on the verge of homelessness or sick or all of the above…really, and we just got so caught up in everybody else’s problems we sorta forgot about our own wall situation.  Glad to have it done and don’t ever wanna do that again.  Since our yard is basically a slope…a slope on a postage stamp, we have gathered up stones from interstate exits that fell where it was cut out for the exits over the years and built smaller walls…no concrete, just placing stones to form a bed for blackberries or goji berries, strawberries, etc.  Plus for easier walking through the yard, etc.  we need to get back to doing some more of those.  Anyway…yeah, yours really looks beautiful.

MoonShadows
    MoonShadows
    Participant

Necessity or not, you certainly did a fine job with that wall. You should be proud, and relieved it’s finished!

Thanks, cricket. I like to incorporate stone, statues and other strange items into my landscaping projects besides just plants. I think it makes things look more interesting. Here is a garden room I built 3 or 4 seasons ago. I added an arbor, two statues, a sundial (on top of two old concrete footings I found on the property), and a bird bath.

By the end of the summer, it was a little too crowded.

• This reply was modified 1 month ago by MoonShadows MoonShadows.
    cricket
    cricket
    Participant

All that stuff looks so cool, Jim.  I love what you’ve done with it.

Gunnar Salyer
    Gunnar Salyer
    Participant

Oh cool Cricket! Glad you got it done!

Jim, that’s all beautiful!

MoonShadows
    MoonShadows
    Participant

Thanks, guys!

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

Like I said before…I don’t ever, ever, ever wanna do that again…lol!

MoonShadows
    MoonShadows
    Participant

Well, if you did it well, you probably never will have to again. For me, I just don’t have the energy I once had to build walls.

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

Your walls look great, Jim!  I don’t have the energy either…lol…we didn’t have the energy, but it was looking worse after two very wet winters in a row and really starting to look dangerous, etc.  We hoped to find somebody who knew how to build these types of retaining walls and possibly work out some sort of payment deal, etc., but they all looked like…gosh no…don’t want no part of that mess…lol.  Can’t blame any of them becuase we didn’t either.  Our neighbor looked at it and had a similar job done and it cost her 20,000 to get it done…that’s way too much anyway, for us.  Wiped us out at just under 4,000.  It’ll take us a while to recuperate from that…we moved up here to not be in poverty, but the ghost of poverty can follow you around for a long, long time…so…yeah, we sure don’t have thousands to throw around.

Anyway…I hope we did it right, right enough to last for a few decades anyway.  We tried to do some overkill on some of the things, just in case.  One thing we both got really tired of was getting a layer of block up only to realize we had forgotten this stuff called geogrid…expensive stuff that you lay over every other row…daggone, it was twice we had forgotten and had to take down a layer and put that junk on and go back up again.  Really hard…the blocks are heavy and we’d filled them with the gravel…so it was tough doing that.  It was hard to keep straight which rows needed the geogrid, because we started that on row one and three…underground at this point…and we kept thinking of every other row as even numbered rows, but it was the odd numbered rows that took the geogrid…lol…about drove us crazy!  Did I mention i don’t ever, ever, ever want to do that again????

JBounds
    JBounds
    Participant

I know nothing about walls or landscaping. But you all did a great job to me.

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

I don’t know much either, but i guess I just learned something about it…the biggest lesson i learned was that I absolutely hate, with my whole being, to build a retaining wall like the one we built…lol.  I needed to know that, though…so it’s great i had a chance to learn, hey?

Kaeleigh
    Kaeleigh
    Participant

That looks hard! I can hardly spread mulch 🙂 Beautiful!!!!

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

We should’ve asked for volunteer workers from BGD…lol.  Actually, we joked the whole time about putting ads out that people could pay us, do this building the wall work, then drop their expensive gym memberships…guaranteed to work those muscles much better than at the gym!  I don’t think we would’ve gotten any customers though…lol.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.