What a Friend We Have in Jesus.

Best Online Fiddle Lessons Forums The Lion’s Den What a Friend We Have in Jesus.

This topic contains 16 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  John Cockman 1 week ago.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Author

Robin123
    Participant
    cricket
    cricket
    Participant

Sounds good to me…you just need some backup!

Joe
    Participant

Good job. I agree with cricket play it with backup jam track and will even sound better, plus get your timing down better.

John Cockman
    Keymaster

Very good! Thanks so much for posting this. Your notes are clear and in tune, and your form is good as well. It would sound sweet with the backing track! Please post more for us!

Robin123
    Participant

Thanks everyone. I didn’t think of backup music, but I’ll try it. It’s good to know my form is good too. Any tips on double stops?

John Cockman
    Keymaster

Double stops are a lot of work at first, since they don’t allow you to cheat with your fingertip placement. It’s hard to position your fingers directly downwards without touching the other strings. Don’t wear yourself out, but try to practice some double stops every day.

Robin123
    Participant

Thank you

Robin123
    Participant

I think something’s wrong. All the jam tracks seem to be the same speed as the one you play with vocals at 115 bpm. Are they supposed to be at different speeds or am I not listening right?

Robin123
    Participant

Never mind. I answered my own question by not only listening but trying to play at that speed. Definitely faster:o)

John Cockman
    Keymaster

ūüôā Nice work!

Angela
    Participant

Great job Robin. Good sound and also a good straight bow

Robin123
    Participant

Thank you Angela.

rodger
    rodger
    Participant

Robin I know you are anxious to know what others think, and you can be assured you are right on. ¬†You’ve worked hard to develop a good set up which will make it easier to play, and all you need now is to play away and enjoy making music. ¬†Avoid getting tense and stay relaxed without loosing form and just keep going.

Robin, you asked about double stops…I agree the best thing is to practice them regularly. ¬†It’s one of those things that, little by little come together the more you work on it. ¬† I find that some rosins tend to cake up on the strings making it harder to avoid screeching with the slightest uneven pressure between the two strings. ¬†The cleaner the strings the easier it seems to be for me.

Myself, I really like your technique of lifting the bow and playing several notes with a light chop type accent for effect.  Usually the more experienced players use that very effectively and I really like it.  The more you get into it, and contrast it with long full bows and added volume on this type a song, the more you get your audience into it.

So don’t confuse my next comment on my personal problem with double stops, with that technique. ¬†I just figured out something last night about my double stops. ¬† When playing double stops in a song, I would have a tendency to lift the bow and start many of the stops from a raised bow as opposed to leaving the bow set on the strings before starting the double stop. ¬† Then, when I didn’t get it right on, I would repeat it several times to simply focus on getting it in resonance. ¬†That was how I was practising. ¬†So what I figured out is that such a habit seriously affected how I played the piece when I intended to perform it, as if I had an audience or was recording. ¬†This resulted in breaking up the flow of the music, because I was starting so many double stops from a raised bow and not leaving the bow set on the strings. ¬†There’s times when I want that effect, but not all the time. ¬†So now I’m working on that. ¬†It’s so easy for me to focus on something like that and loose awareness of what it sounds like to an observer. ¬†That’s why recording for evaluation is so valuable for us.

When you played your double stops at the end you did leave your bow on the strings all the way through. ¬†If I had practised that way, I wouldn’t have developed my problem. ¬†There’s nothing wrong with lifting the bow and lightly chopping the double stops if that’s the effect you want, but as far as practice doing that all the time , it can be a bad habit. ¬†(sorry to be so wordy)

Robin123
    Participant

Thank you for the insight and advise Roger. I’m trying to not be anxious and just have fun with learning and playing, though I tend to be a perfectionist:( The fiddle is much harder to learn than the guitar! I cleaned the bow hair today as shown in the video and that helped the strings sound more clear. I’ve never even heard of that being done. My fiddle sat untouched in it’s case for about 15 years so it was probably about time. I also wipe down the strings after each practice :o)

John Cockman
    Keymaster

That is gret advice, Rodger! And I love your new forum photo (avatar). So awesome!

rodger
    rodger
    Participant

John, that picture was a surprise for me also. ¬†I was looking through some picture folders for something to use, and found this taken at Ft. McPherson, when we lived there in 2002. ¬†In the larger picture you can see the bulletin board. ¬†When the picture was taken we never even noticed it. ¬†The student is Shayla, and the next year when we got our puppy, somehow the puppy got named after her, but with the letter l dropped. ¬† Here is a larger picture where you can see the details. ¬†Shayla did real good with her fiddle…made her family happy…

http://www.arcticoutreach.org/images/shayla.jpg

John Cockman
    Keymaster

It is a wonderful photo! It really captures the joy of teaching and learning the fiddle. Thank you for the larger version with the 1 Corinthians verses in the background!

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Posted in