What are y'all up to #2

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 90 total)
  • Author
    FrederickFrederick
    Participant

Perhaps John (BGD) is right about the “What are y’all up to” thread being too long and acting up and not loading properly, so I’ll start a new thread in the hopes we’ll all have less trouble having it load in.

Today, the 16th of November, 2019, I have to perform this evening in Drasco, Arkansas at the volunteer fire department there with my band “Hit or Miss”. We’ll play for an hour and a half. The band has been practicing a lot lately and we have our set list down to a tee. We’re all very comfortable with all the tunes on the list and we’re chomping at the bit to get there and perform.

I’m really enjoying playing with these folks. It’s a riot.

Well, what’s everybody up to? 🙂

Gunnar SalyerGunnar Salyer
    Participant

Well, I just learned a new banjo tune called the dusty trail, which is super appropriate for where I live, and now I’m practicing it a bunch. It’s in open D tuning, and uses dtuners, so it’s really fun but also hard to keep in tune.

And writing blog posts has been good so far. My mom was always telling me to start journaling so I could get thoughts out without having to talk her ear off, but I can’t journal cuz I don’t like writing with my hands, and I can’t write something that I know no one will ever read. I just can’t. So blogging has helped that

Participant

Here’s a post I just wrote

Practice, Perfection, and Professionalism

FrederickFrederick
    Participant

I love playing the banjo in D Tuning. By setting the tuners to raise a 1/2 step (3rd string) and a whole step (2nd string) I can play tunes like “You Are My Sunshine”, “Faded Love” and several others that I can’t think of right now.

I just thought of another I play called “Fred’s Tuner Blues” that I made up a couple of years ago. 🙂

• This reply was modified 3 weeks, 4 days ago by FrederickFrederick.
    Fiddle4meFiddle4me
    Participant

I have my Irish step dance class this morning and this evening I get to go to an Irish music and dance party!

FrederickFrederick
    Participant

Sounds like a truly wonderful day you’re heading into, Grace Marie. Have fun. 🙂

JBoundsJBounds
    Participant

Late last night my neighbor came over and asked to come over with my fiddle. I was like, am I performing or something? lol

But, no his Uncle is visiting from out of town and brought his fiddle so was just watching him play and I’d play a few things then he taught me a tune called “Elzic’s Farewell.”

Anyway, practicing that today

• This reply was modified 3 weeks, 4 days ago by JBoundsJBounds.
    FrederickFrederick
    Participant

Cool, John. Can’t say I ever heard that one.

I was thinking about this time of year. You know all summer long I never had either of my fiddles even go the slightest out of tune. Not one iota out. I carry them both in a nice double case and no problems in and out of the trunk and into an air-conditioned car…no problem. But now it’s late fall and I added water to the little bottle in the case and they both went horribly out of tune. They’re back in tune now and holding really well again. But it must have been quite a shock to them to have a drink! lol

JBoundsJBounds
    Participant

I had never heard it before either but it’s a cool old timey type tune. Kind of crooked even.

Believe it or not my cheaper fiddle never goes out of tune. My other more expensive one, although not that expensive goes out of tune the colder it gets.

Very sensitive that one is.

Yeah, Fred never water a fiddle lol

• This reply was modified 3 weeks, 4 days ago by JBoundsJBounds.
    cricketcricket
    Participant

Elizick’s Farewell is a great old tune.  It’s so old timey and really works out best in standard tuning, though.  I used to play it but have forgotten about it more recently.  Play it for us, sometime, John!

This time of year my fiddles always pop out of tune frequently…always having to keep an eye on them and retune.  I do keep a vaporizing going for my instruments, not sure if it does much good, but I do it because you’re supposed to…lol…that’s it.  They won’t stay in tune.  This is especially bad in the room I record in…I can barely get through a whole track without popping out of tune.

IcebikeIcebike
    Participant

Just getting settled into winter again as the days are getting much shorter.  During the unfrozen season I spend most time outside doing other things and fiddle practice takes a back seat.  So it’s back to re-working intonation and learning some new songs. The weather is weird: still fairly warm, the ground isn’t frozen yet, and no snow. I should be plowing by now, which I enjoy, but not this year so far. I think the midwest and east is getting all our northern weather. Joe

cricketcricket
    Participant

I read today that it’s colder in Alabama than in Alaska…wow…weird weather.  We’re pretty much stuck around here waiting to see what happens next.  Going crazy.  I can’t play the fiddle much because it’s just too noisy in the house unless I lock myself into my presonus room…I do that too much…the Chihuahuas don’t recognize me anymore.

FrederickFrederick
    Participant

Well, it’s time to head out for my 48 mile drive up to Drasco to play music tonight. It’s a benefit for the Drasco Fire Department. The hose company will be having a chili cook-off for all the folks who want to come out and support them. “Hit or Miss” is ready to play. We’ve been practicing like mad lately for just such an occasion. I get to play banjo for several tunes and then switch to fiddle for several more and then switch again and again. It’s a blast and I love doing it.

Talk to y’all again tomorrow or later tonight. 🙂

JBoundsJBounds
    Participant

Have fun Fred.

cricketcricket
    Participant

Hope it’s a great gig and lots of fun, Fred!  Since my family was non-musical (and even kinda on the anti-musical side, really…lol), my first exposure and maybe main exposure to fiddle music was at fireman’s fund raiser events.  That was always lots of fun.  Have a great time!

Fiddle4meFiddle4me
    Participant

Have so much fun, Fred!  And thanks for noticing my middle name!  I always like it when people call me Grace Marie but I’m usually just Grace unless I’m in trouble.?

I had a really great time at the Irish Music and dance party, despite being exhausted from dance class.

Participant

Fred, I do play you are my sunshine and home sweet home out of open D using the tuners, but the tune I just learned has the G string alternate between E and F# and the B is B and A.

I’d wish y’all a fun time, but I guess you already finished and in bed.

And where’d you see Grace Marie’s middle name? On her YouTube channel it’s absent and on her profile here.

cricketcricket
    Participant

Did you get any video, Fred?  I know that’s pretty hard to do lots of times.

IcebikeIcebike
    Participant

Finally, 8 inches of snow! Played at church last night and now up early to get the church lot done by 7AM. I may be crazy, but I enjoy plowing snow in an empty lot, with a good cup of coffee, radio on, and watching the sun (maybe) come up over the mountains. Life is good!!!

FrederickFrederick
    Participant

Had a great time at the Fire House last night. I found a shortcut that made it only 35 miles to drive. It’s a small town but I think everyone there came out in support of their fire department. There must have been a dozen different chili pots to try out and I had a bowl with maybe 5 different mild types. They were all excellent and I’m glad I didn’t have to judge any of them. There were 1st, 2nd and 3rd prizes with trophies awarded.

Our band did very well. No mess ups at all. We were in top shape due to all of our practices we go through each week. It was kind of cool in the hall and my finger picks drew the cold to my hand but I didn’t slow down too much. lol

Thanks, John. I sure did have fun. It was a great gig with lots of fun, Cricket. I didn’t get any videos, though. Maybe someone else did. I’ll find out in a day or two. Gunnar, that’s an interesting tuning for a banjo tune. Can’t say I’ve ever used that one. Grace Marie signed her full name on the original music she so kindly provided me. I have met another Grace here in Arkansas and she likes to be called by her first and middle name, too.

Joe, I used to love to plow snow. I’m envious! lol

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 90 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.