What are y’all up to #2 (THIS THREAD NOW CLOSEd FOR DISCUSSION) use #3

Online Fiddle Lessons Forums What else is on your mind? What are y’all up to #2 (THIS THREAD NOW CLOSEd FOR DISCUSSION) use #3

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 522 total)
  • Author
    Gunnar SalyerGunnar Salyer
    Participant

Sounds like you had a great time Fred! I’m so jealous of y’all’s cold weather, I’ve been dying cuz of the heat. Hopefully soon I’ll upload a video of the tune, it’s beautiful, which is uncharacteristic for a banjo tune ?

Ok that makes sense how you know that now. Almost everyone who knows my middle name calls me it, although it’s not my preference, although I don’t know why, I like standing out….

cricketcricket
    Participant

Gunnar, at the moment I’m jealous of your hot weather…lol…but when we had upper 90s and were building that wall, I was jealous of the snow-plowing weather that Icebike speaks of…with that hot coffee he had too, which I enjoy no matter how hot or how cold.

JBoundsJBounds
    Participant

My whole life I wanted to go by middle name and nobody would do it.

Fiddle4meFiddle4me
    Participant

My brother actually used to go by his first and middle name (John Michael) but he didn’t like that so now he’s just John.

cricketcricket
    Participant

Gunnar…somehow I missed your P, P, and P essay.

Just now read it.  Good stuff.  Yes, if you listen to what various pro musicians have said about their music, they all play the daylights outta their instruments for years and years.  Supposedly Chet Atkins went to bed playing his guitar as a child, fell asleep while playing it…Doc Watson always said he “practiced like the devil…” and Tommy Emmanuel said he took his guitar out of its case and practiced even while standing in line at airports…I mean…you just hear stories like that…they get good because they just put so many hours, years, and decades into their playing.  I guess it pays off to never set your instrument down.

Participant

Thanks Cricket, I actually have played my instruments in the airport, in line for buses, and in the car on long trips. I’d play in airplanes if they wouldn’t get mad at me

Participant

Right now I’m binge listening elk river blues on soundcloud… I love this tune

cricketcricket
    Participant

It’s a great tune.  I hear people compare it to Fair and Tender Ladies, but I think there are notable differences.  But anyway, I think your music shows a lot of dedication and attentiveness.

KaeleighKaeleigh
    Participant

I’ve  been trying to shove fiddle practice in among things that seem to be taking a LOT of time right now 😉 driving (which I detest) and having a lot of people at the house (which I love) not to mention that my thirteen year old sister’s  outgrown every stitch of clothing she owns and as the seamstress in the family, I’ve been doing quite a lot of that!

As for music, I’m playing a lot of Christmas tunes now. I’m smoothing out Canon in D on the piano. And on the fiddle I’m struggling (valiantly!) with Mrs. O’ Sullivan’s plus writing some harmonies for some Christmas carols…

Grace Marie, (I’m only confused when someone calls me by my middle name, usually, outside of my family, people have a hard time with my first 😉 ) I miss Irish dancing!!! I still do it, but it’s not so fun by myself and none of my siblings want to learn… I don’t get to dance enough:) my church does have a square dance every fall and that was pretty wonderful this year! Right now I’m mainly teaching myself historic dancing, the minuet, the strathspey and things like that.

Gunnar, I think I’m the only one in the Midwest that wants to keep our cold and way too much snow for this time of year! But even I don’t like it so well that I wouldn’t share with you if I could 😉

Participant

Kaeleigh, are you actually driving or just being in the car as a passenger? I don’t really like being in a car, or any metal box really.

I know what it’s like to have a bunch of siblings who have no interest in learning something you like ??

I so wish it would cool down here. We’ve been having temperatures that would even be hot in Fahrenheit and all my friends in the states are having temperatures that would be cold even in Celsius ?

KaeleighKaeleigh
    Participant

Actually driving, much to my displeasure 😉 I like riding in the car as a passenger, so long as I can ride in the front so I don’t get motion sick, and depending who’s driving, I suppose!

Fiddle4meFiddle4me
    Participant

I have tried to get my four older siblings to learn an instrument to no avail.?It would be fun to have someone in the family to play music with.

Have you ever posted a video of yourself dancing, Kaeleigh? I’d love to see you dance!

The weather is weird here in New Mexico this time of year.  One day it will be freezing and the next it will be summer weather.  It hasn’t snowed here yet but I hope we get some soon. It’s so dry here and we really need the moisture.  And I like snow!?

KaeleighKaeleigh
    Participant

My dad plays guitar and accompanies me for my performances, my mom plays banjo and Irish whistle and two of my siblings are learning concertina and harp respectively, so I don’t have any complaints on that account! I do wish I knew someone local who played the fiddle though! THAT would be fun!!!

I do love snow too, it just came a little too early for most people here in Illinois! Last week we had a night that was below zero already!I’ve an obsession with knitting hats and mittens for  people and the weather has certainly made everyone appreciate them though ?

KaeleighKaeleigh
    Participant

Grace, I do have a few videos I recorded, but I don’t think I’ve ever posted them… if I can dig one up I will definitely ☺️

fiddlewoodfiddlewood
    Participant

managed to get the fiddle out last night after about a week off…felt comfortable for the first time since I switched fiddles.

I was astounded at my relaxation,  control, and speed available.

You just never know when that special good day will show up…sure does help with the attitude though.

• This reply was modified 10 months ago by fiddlewoodfiddlewood.
    cricketcricket
    Participant

Yeah…those good days on the fiddle are priceless.  You’ll have to play us one, Dave!  I mean, not play us a good day, but something cool that happens because of the good day!

FrederickFrederick
    Participant

I’m composing a new fiddle tune that was inspired by Cricket mentioning the phrase “president’s hat” in a post the other day (Big Scioty,#79154). I thought what a great idea to compose a fiddle tune honoring such a thing. I named it “The President’s Cap”. I’m only about 10 bars into it but it’s coming along nicely and I can’t wait to finish it and learn how to fiddle it.

Thanks, Cricket for your continuing inspiration……even when you don’t even suspect you’re being inspiring….there it is! lol 🙂

cricketcricket
    Participant

Lol…I can’t wait to hear it, Fred.

That’s an old expression I always heard in SE KY…somebody getting too smarty-acting and they would say, “His head’s too big for the president’s hat!”

Another one you never hear anymore was the official “Goodbye” expression as someone walked you to their door…”Better just stay!”

Keep them tunes comin’, Fred!

FrederickFrederick
    Participant

Well, after a day of craziness here with music paper, fiddle and bow, I’ve finally finished “The President’s Cap”. I went to print it out and lo and behold, the printer’s out of ink!

Gotta brave the store with all the busy shoppers to get some ink or wait for it to come in the mail. I’ll let my wife decide. I’ve got to learn the piece, anyway, which will take time. It’s supposed to roll right along and I can barely scratch it out right now. But, on the bright side…..I love hearing it in my head. 🙂

cricketcricket
    Participant

Aw gee…that’s how it goes sometimes.  I can’t stand going out anywhere between now until after New Year’s.  Good luck figuring out what to do.  I guess we’ll just have to hang on!

• This reply was modified 10 months ago by cricketcricket.
Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 522 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.