What are y'all up to?

This topic contains 924 replies, has 17 voices, and was last updated by Gunnar Salyer Gunnar Salyer 3 days ago.

Viewing 40 posts - 561 through 600 (of 925 total)
  • Author
    rodger
    rodger
    Participant

I’m surprised you didn’t know it was a blood thinner.  Everyone was always in a hurry every spring to get the little tiny roots, which make the best tea, to ‘thin out their winter blood’ that was supposed to have gotten too thick over the winter!  I’m sure that has be buried somewhere down deep in those long ago forgotten memories Cricket…..

I get so hungry for it up here….but we just don’t have any….

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

Yeah, I heard that said, but I didn’t ever hear of the drugs called blood thinners back then and honestly never made the connection…it was just in the sense that wintertime made your blood thick and if you didn’t thin it out in the spring with some sort of tonic thing, you’d be getting light headed and passing out everytime you picked up a hoe, etc.  Which does tend to happen as we adjust from cold weather to warm weather.  I guess blood thinners, like drugs used all the time, not just getting from winter season to warm season…that never occurred to me to be the same thing.  People that are put on blood thinners usually need them regardless of season…sometimes just for something like six months or sometimes forever…but I think that’s more for blood clotting issues that could become dangerous unchecked.  Would sassafrass help that, you think?  I don’t know.  Mike’s brother just got that Watchman device implanted so it’ll protect him from blood clotting issues that could cause a stroke or something and he no longer has to take blood thinners with that thing.  The blood thinners were making him sick in other ways.  Well anyway, it would be cool if something as cheap and simple and good -tasting as sassafrass would help that too.

Gunnar Salyer
    Gunnar Salyer
    Participant

Well, today I sat down and wrote out the A part of my original, mostly copying what Fred already did, correcting a few things. Tomorrow I’ll try to do the second half. Yesterday I succeeded in climbing a ten foot 6.5 inch vertical wall, which I’ve been trying for a while, and today I filmed it. Yesterday we also managed some three ball juggling with two people (soccer balls, juggling between each other) which was fun. And I’ve just been trying to incorporate some harmonics into while my guitar gently weeps, on guitar. And there’s another missionary who lives about eight hours away (I think) who’s also a fiddler, and I’m gonna try and loan her my old fiddle, cuz hers came unglued once while she was gone. And we’re going to try to actually make some music together if we can be in the same place at the same time. So, that would be fun. I’m still working on learning March 32nd (lie. I’m actually using that as an excuse for not learning anything else, and procrastinating on actually learning it) Dave, I hope you can work something out with your doctor for your medication.

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

I got the feeling you are a pretty amazing climber…lol, Gunnar…from what I’ve seen so far.  Great that you’re getting your music written up.  And cool that you actually know another fiddler, well, not close by, but hopefully close enough.

I have nothing going on I guess…we had a little cookout today because son-in-law is on vacation, so we were all five here to cookout, play a little bean bag toss tournament of our own making, then have a big ol’ squirt gun fight with grandson’s nerf water blasters…well it’s 75 degrees today, supposedly, but we all about froze to death doing our water fight…kind of a cool breeze and with wet clothes…it’s just cold…lol.  Need to do that next time on a 95 degree day.  I’ve been tempted, I guess musically, to keep picking up that ol’ Alvarez and try to think of some old stuff to play on the Presonus with that thing.  Of all of my guitars, that cost me a lot when I bought them (most of them in the 300s….whcih is a lot for me)…I’ve got four of them…then, here I get this free old Alvarez that ain’t worth hardly anything…given to me…I can’t walk away from it for long.  It’s so nice to play.  I don’t even wanna change strings…it has old rusty thumpy strings…the guitar has hardly any resonance to it…kinda thuddy but very rich and deep…oh my gosh…just the way it sounds and feels to play makes me wanna keep playing stuff on that thing. I don’t even wanna change strings because I’m afraid it’ll change that thumpy deep quality it has right now…I always bought guitars that resonated and rung out really well…but…now…here I’m playing this old thumpy, thuddy thing and loving that more than I’ve ever loved any other guitar.  My husband laughs at me for playing that old thing when I’ve got more expensive guitars sitting there untouched…lol.  I guess that’s the only musical stuff going on…just that old guitar tempting me all the time.  I don’t have much time for it, but when time allows…I’m just very tempted to pick it up and play.

That’s it.  I’m still shivering from the water gun battles, and still tempted by the old alvarez…but…other stuff needing to get done.

rodger
    rodger
    Participant

Cricket, the FDA actually outlawed sassafras from being sold in stores because it is such an amazing, natural blood thinner, so they branded it dangerous!  It definitely improves circulation, and has mirades of health benefits.  It’s components are quite powerful, and in heavy concentrations can do many things.  But, simply brewing tea with the roots is proven safe.

Obviously pressure from the drug companies to monopolize the market, is the motive for the FDA, it has been proven dramatically that big money from the drug companies runs the FDA….so, just stick with the high priced chemicals and big bro with take care of us….

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

Yeah…I agree.  The FDA sold out many decades ago, along with the CDC and so many organizations that are supposed to serve the public.  It’s a shame people in the U.S. can’t afford medicines…and even a bigger shame that sometimes years after one has been in use, there is finally enough evidence that it did more harm than good that there’s a legal action against the manufacturer, but they aren’t hurt because they already made their profit and are moving on to the next drug in line.

I usually steer clear of drugs because I’m so sensitive and allergic to foods and medicines, colorings, fillers, ingredients, blah blah blah.  But I do know several people and family members who must take blood thinners…so I guess the best thing in that situation is to just take them or whatever else the doctor can offer, i.e., that Watchman device or whatever…because if you do need them, it’s usually best to take action.  We have several family members who have had to use them either temporarily or permanently.  So I would never tell a person who needs blood thinners to find an alternative unless some medical person could vouch for it’s efficacy in their situation.

But if I get a cold, I can’t take any medicines for colds…I have to use stuff like lemon juice or pineapple juice or garlic or horehound leaves, which I grow specifically for colds.  I can’t take the meidicnes…ended up in the ER once when I had some terrible bronchitis and was so desperate to stop coughing my brains out and try to sleep…took a dose of over=the-counter cough syrup and had all kinds of terrible reactions that sent me to the ER.  I shoulda known better…I’ll never try that again.  Just too allergic to stuff.  I don’t even take aspirin…etc.  My mom couldn’t ever tolerate anything either. I really think they contributed to her death with relentless medicines of all kinds and she just couldn’t handle them.

• This reply was modified 3 months ago by cricket cricket.
    rodger
    rodger
    Participant

I read that in the Colonial days Sassafras was the #2 export to Europe.  It was understood to be good for so many things.  It does have some powerful components, which, like anything if concentrated enough could kill a person.  Same thing with vitamins…if you take a large enough amount will kill a person…Polar Bear liver has so much vitamin A that it is famous for killing people who eat one meal of it.

Gunnar Salyer
    Gunnar Salyer
    Participant

Just curious if root beer might have some similar value, as it’s made from sassafras?

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

Yes, root beer is good for you if you make it yourself from the roots.  Otherwise, most of it you can buy is all fake, artificial, cheap and bad ingredients.  I think sassafrass tea is pretty good just by itself…we used to boil a big batch and drink it both hot and cold, but of course it wasn’t fizzy.  You have to ferment it like you do sauerkraut to get the fizzies in there…and if you’re not careful, you can end up with something alcoholic…ok if you want that, I guess.

To me, coffee is the best thing. I wish I could grow that for myself…lol.  I do have a Kentucky coffee tree down the hill, but that’s actually a poisonus legume on that tree…not really drinkable…the tale is that they made coffee during the Civil War fromthe Ky coffee tree…unlikely to be true, since it’s poisonous to people…though beautiful.  I think they just used chickory root for coffee stretching or full-blown substituting…chicory grows everywhere around here.  Those roots taste nasty and make me sick…I can’t deal with chicory.

Gunnar Salyer
    Gunnar Salyer
    Participant

We grow our own coffee. We only just got our first harvest prepared, and my dad over roasted them, so I don’t know if it’s good.

fiddlewood
    fiddlewood
    Participant

Good root beer can be had at most any micro brewery that makes it. It’s the good stuff!

• This reply was modified 3 months ago by fiddlewood fiddlewood.
    Steve Srader
    Steve Srader
    Participant

Drink more root beer !

fiddlewood
    fiddlewood
    Participant

It’s the only “soda pop” I ever partake of.

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

I’m down to just drinking carbonated water…lol.  Gave up sugar as of January 1st, and I can’t believe how well I’ve stuck to it.  I really did it for the sake of my poor ol’ tummy that is intolerant and allergic to so much stuff…I found a diet for people who can’t tolerate lots of foods, called the Specific Carbohydrate Diet…basically it eliminates anything that is a polysaccharide…and allows only monosaccharides…which means no taters, no sugar, no maple syrup (boo-hoo to that), only honey as a sweetener, etc.  But the idea has been around for around 80 years, and basiccally is that polysaccharides feed the bad bacteria in your gut and monosaccharides starve them out so that the good bacteria in your gut can proliferate…this has been a helpful diet to me.  After it helped me feel better, I kinda went wild and didn’t even make too much stuff with honey, and actually lost some weight…down one size on jeans…wow.  Nothing else has made me lose weight, nothing I’ve tried.  Anyway, that leaves me coffee, tea, or carbonated water as my drinks…that’s it.  Perrier is pretty good stuff…though expenisve…it’s cheaper at Costco so we splurge on it from there when we can.

Frederick
    Frederick
    Participant

I’ve been working on a new site specifically to market my music. It’s titled “http://www.frederickwarnermusic.com” and so far it’s doing pretty well. yahoo!

As of yet, I’m only selling my classical and cinematic classical original compositions on the site.

What a deal figuring out all the ins and outs to creating the site. Whew!

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

Congratulations for getting that going, Fred.  Best wishes for success with it.

Frederick
    Frederick
    Participant

Thanks, Cricket. I appreciate it.

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

I got that feeling again that I’d rather go play at a jam than on my Presonus.  Had some time last night, for the first time in a long time, to play some with jam tracks…and, well I’ve played a lot of stuff that I recorded on the Presonus over the past couple of years, but I haven’t played anything, nothing at all, outside of on the Presonus.  Well, you could tell that, last night…I forgot how to play everything and just fumbled helplessly along with jam tracks until I got tired of hearing how much I’ve forgotten.  This happened to me a long time ago on the guitar…I played and played all the time, then went years hardly touching it…busy, mainly, but forgot a whole buncha stuff and flatout can’t play it anymore.  Now…still new on fiddle, it’s already happening.  Thinking if I park the Presonus for a while and just go to jams or something…maybe I can re-sharpen up my fiddling skills to the same amateur level I was before…I could play, Gardenia Waltz, Maiden’s Prayer (the Bobby Hicks one on the lesson here, no less), Faded Love, Fisher’s Hornpipe…just lots of stuff I could handle ok…couldn’t get through them last night…couldn’t get through Kitchen Girl or Boatman, or just any of the stuff I used to play all the time up until when I started messin’ with the Presonus.  The problem is the jams don’t play those things, hardly at all if ever…I would request them and then nobody’d know them, etc., etc., etc.  So…also, lots of traffic to drive through to get to a jam that plays stuff I’m not into…mainly, popular BG songs that are always in Bb or some crazy key.  Guess I talked myself out of going again…lol.  Maybe I just need some porch time.

Frederick
    Frederick
    Participant

I performed at Washington Park in Mountain View, Arkansas, yesterday from 11:00 a.m. until 4:30 p.m. with our band “Hit or Miss”.

We had a superb time. The weather was perfect – temperature wise –  although I could have done with a little less wind. I usually hang both of my fiddles from a cymbal stand I fashioned from a drum set to hold both fiddles but it was too windy so each time I needed a fiddle, I had to root them out of the case. The banjo was heavy enough on its stand, thank goodness. The cymbal stand is heavy enough to withstand the wind but the fiddles knock into each other when the wind blows.

There were several hundred listeners that came and went as the day grew longer and we just kept pickin’ and grinnin’. I would play banjo for a while and then switch to fiddle(s) for a time. (I had my French fiddle tuned to “Black Mountain Rag” tuning, AEAC#) and my other one (the 1834 one) tuned standard.)

I had a lot of requests that I played. I had one request that I couldn’t fulfill because I had never heard the tune; a tune called “Fort Smith”. Today, I’ll see if I can find it and set about learning it someday soon.

Right now I’m learning an Irish tune named “The Musical Priest”. It’s in B Minor and I love it!

It was a wonderful day….just though I’d share that. :)

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

Sounds like fun, Fred.  Did the wind catch your bow any?  I’ve tried playing outside on windy days and my bow feels like it gets caught up in the wind…lol.  I never heard Fort Smith before either…hmm…something we all should learn, i guess…gotta know anything somebody might request!

Well I’m fulfilling my goal here, or not fulfilling it really, just working at it, staying with it.  No Presonus for me until September…I’m back at the lessons…the saddest thing is I’ve been through these before…lol.  If I can learn them again, I won’t let them slip away from me.  I’m down to the second advanced break on Maiden’s Prayer…one more…one more knuckle buster to learn and then if I can just remember it all long enough to practice the daylights out of it, I might get close.  I was pretty close with it all before.  After that…Gardenia Waltz…I think Golden Fiddle Waltz comes after that…just trying to follow my struggling steps from five years ago…these things are so hard to play, yet, they really appeal to me.  I need to go back over some not-so-knuckle-bustin’ lessons again too.  But these three are the ones I feel so bad about working so hard and losing, years ago.  So…we’ll see if I can ever learn to play them!  I might drag myself, reluctantly, back out to the local (yet far away…lol) BG jam and see what’s going on there.  It’s only once a month an i can’t remember which weekend it was now…have to find out.  I never had much fun there, but I feel like I need to play music somewhere besides the Presonus dungeon, ya know?

Frederick
    Frederick
    Participant

Hi Cricket. Well, I’ve got “Fort Smith Breakdown” down now and all committed to memory, just got to get it up to speed. It’s gonna be a great tune for all three groups I’m in. Can’t wait to try it out on them all.

My bow didn’t get caught in the heavy winds that were menacing us, thank goodness.

I had fun playing along with “Maiden’s Prayer” and “Gardenia Waltz” today here on John’s site. I played those two tunes several times yesterday for the crowds up in Mountain View. I’d forgotten that I could practice them here on the site. It’s fun, because I can work out different licks over and over until I get them down.

I’ve never even tried “Golden Fiddle Waltz”. I’ll have to give it a go sometime.

Happy to read you’re hitting the fiddle again. I’ll have to wait ’til September to hear your progress………..but I’m happy for you anyway.

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

Well Golden Fiddle Waltz is enough to kill a person…lol…so approach it with great caution.  Maiden’s Prayer is killing me…daggone that thing is hard, Bobby Hicks style…my fingers feel like pretzels now…lol.

I might make a youtube here or there with the chromebook camera, which has terrible audio…I don’t have another way to make one excpet the cell phone camera, which takes all day to get up on youtube…but I’m not doing Presonus for a few months.  I might be tempted to show off Maiden’s Prayer if I can get through it without crashing horribly or my fingers possibly falling off or something.

Steve Srader
    Steve Srader
    Participant

Good luck Cricket , maybe I will start it in a month or two on the Bobby Hicks version ! I have other calves to lick , at this time !

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

Good luck, Steve.  I can see why this is in the “Advanced” folder…good grief it’s hard.  It’s so beautiful I just have to play it.  I have to play beautiful things…lol…or at least try.

Frederick
    Frederick
    Participant

Yes, Cricket, I noticed that uploading from a cell phone takes an eternity to do, so I’m very happy that Dave told me about Audacity.

The part of “Maiden’s Prayer” that used to hang me up a little was when I’d get to the V Chord (E7), I would just about always mess it up. Then I designed a lick that actually split the chord duration into two distinct parts and now it’s not so crazy. I especially have fun with the up the neck part. It’s gorgeous when I do it right. :)

Happy fiddlin’, Steve.

Frederick
    Frederick
    Participant

As far as “Fort Smith”, Fort Smith Breakdown”, aka “Rabbit in the Grass” and fifty other names, I’ve finally decided on a way to perform the tune which is a mixture of the way Patrick McAvinue plays it; Bruce Molsky plays it; and old Cotton Combs from Fayetteville, Arkansas played it years ago. None of these musicians play it anywhere near the same, so it’s been difficult arriving at a suitable rendition but since I won’t likely being playing along with the aforementioned, I’ll just play it my own way and be darned-well satisfied. Molsky’s got the dangdest timing I ever heard of but his band knows exactly what he’s up to at every moment. Patrick plays it the best but it’s quite a bit different than the more traditional melodies I’m finding; and Combs is all over the map. Geez! (No wonder I prefer Bluegrass to Old Time!) lol

It’s no wonder so many of these old tunes are lost. By the time they escape the hurdles of interpretation and re-interpretation a few generations and viola…a different tune all together with 4 or more parts all sounding very much unlike the original tune. Wow! What a nightmare!

But, in any event, it’s different than what I have been playing for breakdowns, so it’s a keeper and I think the band will like it.

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

Bruce Molsky likes to throw in a strange double stop, or unexpected type of harmony here and there on old time stuff he plays…he can make it sound so cool, but, yeah…best to do it your own way, unless you run into Bruce at the gig…lol.

fiddlewood
    fiddlewood
    Participant

Well, staying home & working this week instead of taking my annual 10 days at Charlotte Bluegrass Festival. Been a tough year so far and just can’t make it this year.

I’m hoping to hit just one festival this summer…been asked to judge their band scramble in the end of july. Maybe I’ll be caught up enough by then to go away for a weekend. hope so…

Angela
    Participant

You guys are inspirational!  I heard Stuart Duncan play Lonesome Fiddle Waltz last week and decided to take that one on.  So, I’ve just about got Kenny Baker’s version down.  I tried Maiden’s Prayer and gave up, too….time to get that back out.  :^)  And, somebody asked me about Westphalia Waltz, do I’m going to work on that one, too, I guess.

Cricket/Peggy….it’s funny about the wind and bow…I was sitting outside just playing for myself yesterday when the wind picked up and I noticed the same thing about my bow…it kept pushing it.  I guess it depends on which way you’re facing with the wind.

Angela
    Participant

Oh and Dave….saw your In the Garden post….that’s another one I attempted and gave up.  But I love it, so I’m gonna pull that one back out too.

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

Angela, I guess it’s like when your steering a huge ship in the ocean…I mean, we’ve all done that, right?  If we don’t think to turn our ship to face the oncoming waves, over we go…Over the Waves, ya know…I guess it must be the same with Fiddling in the Wind…not the name of any tune, but sounds like it should be…and I guess we gotta figure out which way it’s blowing so we know how to steer that bow.

Ok…everybody, we all seem to be fired up on lessons.  I’m kinda glad to get out of Presonus mode for a while to think about getting back to learning…it’s as bad as givin’ up chocolate, givin’ up that Presonus.  But I’m about getting Maiden’s Prayer…hard, but if ya just stick with it…it gradually starts coming together, i hope so anyway.  I’m stuck on the last little bit of the 3rd advanced part…I have trouble fitting those last few licks into the rhythm the right way.  Other than that…I can get everything in, but the double stops and slides are pretty much luck of the draw…they might be ok, or they might really sound awful…lol .  Anyway, once i finish with Maiden’s Prayer, I’m gonna get back to Gardenia Waltz.

I’d love to do Westphalia Waltz too…I’ve messed around with it here and there but don’t really have a handle on it…so I need to get over to that lesson too.

I’m thinking I’ll try to get Maiden’s Prayer on a youtube at some point once I can justget through the whole thing…or well, I guess it’s just ok if I crash the thing on youtube too…lol. No need to be a perfectionist about it or else I’lljust never get anything up there to show and tell.

I hope after i re-get Gardenia Waltz sorta kinda halfway playable…I’m getting back to Golden Fiddle Waltz…if you can play that…you can probably play anything…except maybe Back up and Push, or Orange Blossom Special, etc., etc., etc., but hey, you’re approaching that league I think, at least.  It scares me to try Golden Fiddle Waltz again…I remember how tough that thing was the last time I worked at it…ugh…I had to bite a crayon while playing it for fear I’d bite my tongue in agony…lol.  Yes, it’s that hard.  But it’s so beautiful I need to try!

Gunnar Salyer
    Gunnar Salyer
    Participant

Well, since Cricket put her presonus away, I got mine out. I found a mic that came with our fender passport, and I’m now recording tracks of little brown birds. It’s hard to get ten minutes of quiet around here 🙄 anyway, once I finish, I’m gonna get video and a friend of mine is gonna edit the video so you can see me playing while you hear it!

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

Lol…ok Gunnar…let’s trade spots for a while.  I can’t wait to hear your recording…noises and all…I tried to keep the chihuahuas, trucks on the road, etc. out of mine…but it ain’t easy.

Gunnar Salyer
    Gunnar Salyer
    Participant

I’ve got a rough draft done, now tomorrow I’ll add bass and clean everything up a little. It’s pretty cool to hear it with a band!

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

Cool, Gunnar.

Well, guys I am so aggravated.  I have 20 minutes before somebody will call me to just talk and keep them company…lonely elderly person who calls.  So I decided to spend my 20 minutes starting on GArdenia Waltz. Hooked up the blue tooth speaker on the chromebook…then it went kaplooey…maybe battery shot or whtever…but somehow it made the chromebook just stuck in blue tooth mode so I can have any audio…can’t hear anythineg…ugh…I will be busy on the phone in a few minutes and my time is about shot now!  Technology…can’t live with it, can’t live without it.

Steve Srader
    Steve Srader
    Participant

Good luck Cricket !

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

Thanks, Steve.  i got my audio back up, but too tired for Gardenia Waltz by now…lol.

Frederick
    Frederick
    Participant

Gardenia Waltz has a pretzel-y sliding lick in it too. I had to change my fingering in order to get that passage down where it sounded half-way (emphasis on half) good. I can’t feel my pinky on my left hand, so when I use it, it’s totally a hit-or-miss situation. (Hey, I’ve heard that expression before — “Hit or Miss”….oh yeah that’s a band I’m in! ha ha.)

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

Whoa…that’d be extra hard if your pinky just says “no,” wouldn’t it?  It’s hard enough when the pinky says it’s ok.  In my usual old time style, or whatever that is I normally play, I slide up my ring finger to get the pinky notes most of the time…pinky tends to be lazy most of the time.  If you start looking into these double stop pretzel-fingered fiddlers, not only do you need an interested and enthusiastic pinky, it wouldn’t hurt to have a few extra fingers on that left hand to help out.

Frederick
    Frederick
    Participant

Well said, Cricket! :)

Viewing 40 posts - 561 through 600 (of 925 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.