What are y'all up to?

Viewing 20 posts - 341 through 360 (of 1,020 total)
  • Author
    cricketcricket
    Participant

Well I have two fiddles, so each needs a bow of its own…so maybe I should learn to play both fiddles at one time. Yeah…now that would be interesting.

Gunnar SalyerGunnar Salyer
    Participant

How come your order came so quick? My bow still hasn’t been shipped, and the tuner and strings are in transit. Our whole family got to go to urban air today. No, it’s not an AC company. It’s one of the places I work, look it up, it’s like a trampoline park with the addition of obstacle course, rock walls, ropes course, and a “sky rider” which is like a zipline but with curves. What a workout. We spent about three hours there. And, we all got in free! The regular price is $25 for all attractions, which is WAY too much money for ten people, but since I work there, my parents have gotten to know the owner a little, and she let us all jump for free! So that’s what I’m up to. My abs are probably gonna be sore tomorrow….

cricketcricket
    Participant

Sounds like fun, Gunnar!  I should go there and work out my old abs…lol…well, maybe not. It does sound like fun and it’s so cool you guys got to go for free.  I sent my order to Fiddlerman just a few minutes after John notified me by email…I guess i got a jump start on that.  I mean, I was so high on peanut butter fudge and stuff, ya know…just couldn’t sleep so I went shopping for fiddle stuff…lol.  He has nice stuff.  I need to start saving and go shopping there again when I can.

Steve SraderSteve Srader
    Participant

Well Gunnar it’s your own fault living in a foreign country like Texas !

Participant

Touché, Steve. Cricket, I guess you did get a headstart, cuz I’m not allowed on computer after 10:30, so I had to wait till the next day to place my order. It was massive fun jumping yesterday, but I am a bit sore today…

Participant

Get this, the bow just showed up, before the strings and tuner. how does that work? anyway, I’ve got it rosined up and played a bit with it, it’s awesome!

Steve SraderSteve Srader
    Participant

Glad you like it , Fiddleman bow is a good bow !

cricketcricket
    Participant

Happy for you, Gunnar!  They are good bows!

Participant

They sure are!

cricketcricket
    Participant

Since it never stops raining…lol…and we have so many outdoor projects to get to…I guess we’ll go back to setting up more hydroponics indoors.  We’ve got fences to repair, more to build, fence painting, porch painting, porch repair, back “wall” repair…etc., etc., etc.  But it rains every day here now…since this time last year…ok, not every day, but just about every day… can’t get much done outside.  I’m moving the “farm” indoors for now…lol.

FrederickFrederick
    Participant

It’s rained here so much in Arkansas lately that I stopped on the river bridge the other day and looked over the edge just in time to see two bullfrogs pumping each others’ stomachs!

cricketcricket
    Participant

Ha…yeah…well up here in our end of Kentucky, the fish are asking for scuba gear donations.

cricketcricket
    Participant

Well Mike put together some better shelving for my little indoor “farm,” here this moring, since we can’t do any work outside yet.  I had to make a construction paper curtain of sorts, because those lights hurt my eyes so bad.  It helped, so that’s a good thing.  He’s planning to put up more lights so I can really get the farm going here.  I’ve wanted to get more chickens this year if we could…but with all the mud and slop and erosion and constant rain and runoff, etc., maybe I should just put the chickens inside the house too…lol. We have to work on the chicken house and the chicken lot to get all that ready for chickens again.  Anyhow, here’s a picture of my new indoor farm … it’s in the Chihuahua holding cell, which we call the “Barking Lot.” So this is the BArking Lot acres Farm.

FrederickFrederick
    Participant

Here are a couple of photos I took when we were getting ready to perform at our first gig tonight at the Heber Springs Community Center in Arkansas: (We still haven’t decided on a name but I’m calling us “The Heberbillys” until we do.) There were over 600 people in attendance. It was a blast. I played banjo and fiddle.

The first photo shows a little of my red cushion and my “Green Hornet” banjo custom built by Clancy Mullins. It also shows Stan Caldwell, guitar/vocals, Steve James, resonator guitar, and Kent Latch (mandolin/vocals) adjusting the sound system. Mary Lee Turney our upright bassist/vocalist was not in the photo. The crowds kept coming and going for the annual fish fry benefit for a local Senior Center that I often perform at with another band I’m in.

cricketcricket
    Participant

Sounds pretty neat, Fred!  Looks pretty neat too.  Glad you are out there makin’ some music to share.  600…whew!  That’s a lot of people!

Participant
    cricketcricket
    Participant

Woo-hooo!  Good times!

IcebikeIcebike
    Participant

We have a coffee shop in our small town which often hosts some great talent.  Groups touring the big venues in the state often drop by for small fun performances at really reasonable prices.  Last night we went and listened to the Foghorn Stringband from the Pacific NW.  I was completely blown away by the fiddle playing.  I can’t decide this morning whether to burn my fiddle or start practicing more.

Steve SraderSteve Srader
    Participant

Hey practice more get better and make them burn their fiddles ! Ha

cricketcricket
    Participant

Good advice, Steve!  I’ve heard that Foghorn String band on youtube…man, they are the best.  The fiddler rocks…great mando playing (and he wears a cool hat to boot) and they all sing really good too.  They just sound SO good together.

Viewing 20 posts - 341 through 360 (of 1,020 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.