What are y'all up to?

Online Fiddle Lessons Forums What else is on your mind? What are y'all up to?

Viewing 20 posts - 361 through 380 (of 1,020 total)
  • Author
    John (BGD)John (BGD)
    Keymaster

I love reading what you all are up to. You all are amazingly interesting!

I have been burning the midnight oil this week trying to finish learning all the songs in Steve Martin’s “Bright Star” musical for a local production. Some are difficult! After this I’m saying “NO” to any more theatre productions lol.

https://www.theatricalrights.com/show/bright-star/

John (BGD)John (BGD)
    Keymaster

cricketcricket
    Participant

Gosh, that sounds like a big project!  Let us know how it all goes. I knew you had your hands full with everything else…family, job, house, music, etc., but sounds like even more going on than I imagined…no wonder we haven’t heard much from you!  I would say “good luck” with it all, but you’re not supposed to say that in theatrical stuff…”break a leg” has always been something I just can’t say…lol.  So, whatever I should say…wishing all the best in your endeavors!

John (BGD)John (BGD)
    Keymaster

This has been the longest week with the least sleep that I have experienced in quite a few years… Had a concert nearby tonight (Blowing Rock Conference Center) then came home and practiced Bright Star for about four hours, now it’s after 2:00 AM and I’m just now writing an exam that I have to give tomorrow. I’ll sleep a couple of hours, then get up, practice Bright Star, go to work, get off work, teach a few classes, come home, practice for a concert with my daughters for Sunday morning, then practice Bright Star until the dots start to blur. Saturday morning exercise with friends at 6:00 AM, drive to a Bright Star dress rehearsal in Mooresville, then a concert in Lowesville with the Cockman Family on Saturday night, then a concert in Old Fort with my girls on Sunday morning. Pastor appreciation event in Hickory on Sunday afternoon, then second service, then back to Blowing Rock to grade exams and practice Bright Star again… OK, my weekend is planned!

cricketcricket
    Participant

Ouch.  I mean, it all sounds like fun, but just way too crunched together…lol.  Maybe you can find time to rest up after the weekend.  Well, I thought for a few seconds I would kill myself and everyone near me during the Hokey Pokey at the skating rink with grandson last night, but a lot changes within split seconds on roller skates or playing an instrument, doesn’t it?  I’m always happy to be alive after Roro’s and my skating adventures on dollar night at the skating rink…lol.

Steve SraderSteve Srader
    Participant

So John , is it the bright star Steve martin does with his banjo or the bright star opera ??? Anyway burning a candle at both ends , Like it was told to the American Indians , endeavor to persevere , Good luck ,  and hope you survive , victory is just a few days away , Ha !

Gunnar SalyerGunnar Salyer
    Participant

Wow, get through all that and then get some rest! We need our bluegrass daddy healthy. Hope you survive

FrederickFrederick
    Participant

“What are y’all up to”………….

Yesterday, Saturday was a nice warm day and the band I’m in (still haven’t picked a name, so I’m calling us “The Heberbillys” until we do, lol) decided to travel up to Mountain View, Arkansas, home of the Ozark Folk Center and reputed to be the “Folk Capital of the USA”.

We picked out our favorite gazebo in the town’s “Picking Park”, set up our music stands, opened our cases and played Bluegrass from 11:15 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. with one quick break for a sandwich across the road from the Park. There were around 100 visitors and at one time four different groups performing in the Park.

It began to cloud up to be pretty nasty looking about 4:00 so we packed it all up and headed out into some serious thunderstorms before getting home. But what a day of pickin’ !! Can’t wait until we do it all again.

Steve SraderSteve Srader
    Participant

Fred sounds so nice , Hopefully I will find time to check out the Ozark Folk Center this year ! Fred I went to the online page and they have no articles on the pavilions I would think they would be promoting for bands to come , Do you have a link ???

• This reply was modified 1 year, 5 months ago by Steve SraderSteve Srader.
    Steve SraderSteve Srader
    Participant

Fred I was looking at the wrong place , so I reread your post and got it the picking park in mountain home ! I was looking at the Ozark Folk Center .

FrederickFrederick
    Participant

Hi Steve: I was at the Picking Park in Mountain View (not Mountain Home). Mountain View is the home of the Ozark Folk Center. Mountain Home is another hour north of there really close to the Missouri border.

Here’s a facebook page I just found:

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Pickin-Park-Mtn-View-AR/252617424839049

IcebikeIcebike
    Participant

Fred,

A few years back, while traveling in the lower 48, we spent two nights in Mountain View.  It was early March, so no one was playing outside, although we thought the mid-50’s was great weather. I spent time ogling used fiddles in a local shop.  They recommended that we go visit a weekly show at a small family-run spot outside town.  I can’t remember the name but the family put on a great show to a crowd of locals who often came to dance.  Really great, warm, people who made us feel very welcome.  They couldn’t figure out why anyone from Alaska would come there. We told them it was because it was warm there.

Joe

cricketcricket
    Participant

Lots of pickin’ goin’ on with y’all, Fred!  Sounds like fun!

FrederickFrederick
    Participant

Hi Icebike: There are so many places to pick in Mountain View (and I’m not familiar with anywhere near all of them) but I’m wondering if maybe you went to the Heber Country Music Dance Hall. I’m pretty sure they have dancing there each week and it’s quite a popular site on the edge of town.

There are also picking places at many of the RV places, too. Many have stages for the performers. The Picking Park I mostly pick at is in the center of town and the park is named Washington Picking Park. It has several gazebos and musicians fill those up and also settle in around the various shade trees and the porches of many of the nearby businesses including two or three spots around the local music store.

It’s a wonderful town and I’ve spoken to several different couples who have moved here and bought homes just for the music atmosphere.

Steve SraderSteve Srader
    Participant

Thanks Fred !

FrederickFrederick
    Participant

You betcha, Cricket. I’m having a blast. I’ve got my choice tomorrow night between Old Country and Bluegrass at two different homes. Then Tuesday morning I perform for the Seniors at Seven Springs nursing home. Thursday night, Friday morning and Friday night are booked, too. Yes!

FrederickFrederick
    Participant

You bet, Steve. I sure hope I get to meet you in person and do some pickin’ with you if you can make it to Mountain View this summer.

Steve SraderSteve Srader
    Participant

Fred , It’s a four hour drive from Elkins Ar. to Mt. View I’d have to have nice weather so I could throw a twin mattress in the back of the truck and sleep out under the stars ! Ha If that’s allowed !

• This reply was modified 1 year, 5 months ago by Steve SraderSteve Srader.
    FrederickFrederick
    Participant

Wow! Steve, that’s quite a drive. And gasoline in Mountain View is right around $2.59 a gallon. I never buy gas there. It’s ridiculously high.

I was going to drive to Guthrie to Byron Berline’s Double Stop Fiddle Shoppe, but since it burned, I have no reason to go out that way. I hope he rebuilds, but I haven’t heard anything.

Steve SraderSteve Srader
    Participant

So Fred where do you buy gas out side of Mt. View ? I guess if I come in the future I will top off / get gas outside of Mt. View !

Viewing 20 posts - 361 through 380 (of 1,020 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.