What are y'all up to?

This topic contains 997 replies, has 17 voices, and was last updated by cricket cricket 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 998 total)
  • Author
    cricket
    cricket
    Participant

Cool…a jam is much for fun when you can actually play!  Sounds like a great time, Angela.  I looked into my string basket the other day out of curiosity…my strings-in-waiting are Prims.  Those will be my next ones…we’ll see what the crickets think of them.  Also…I had a little fiddle time again last night…everything’s going back to cross tunings…lol…I’m already done with standard tuning…just doesn’t work out for me, it seems.  With wintery weather suddenly here…crazy changes here in the past couple of weeks, they are all going bonkers anyway…I run by and check them everyday and whoa….like they’ve never been tuned ANY way…so…I’ll tune them all back like beofre later on.  Thinking maybe it’s time to get the little whatchamacallit out and running now.

• This reply was modified 1 year ago by cricket cricket.
    cricket
    cricket
    Participant

We keep talking about getting chickens by the springtime.  Right now our chicken coop is stuffed with junque from all the houses we’ve worked on up and down the road…so we’d have to figure out what to do with all that stuff…fix the yard back up for chickens again…etc.  We sold our 12 we had before to pay a Chinese herbalist when our daughter was sick and diagnosed with a chronic disease…sold the chickens and goats…worked out good because she is well now, so … that guy did help her much better than the doctors…anyway…I’m not wanting 12 again this time…maybe 4… then of course you have to watch for the constant raccoon invasions, etc.  But chickens are fun…I’m allergic to eggs…but I didn’t used to be, and I’m wondering if I had them totally off feed…would I be able to eat the eggs agaain?  So…I’m thinking to research what wild chickens forage for in the winter…there used to be chickens living wild in the woods back home…I shoulda watched what the were eating, but you couldn’t get close to them.  So I’m thinking maybe gather up buckeyes, pignuts, acorns, on walks…crush them and give them to the chickens…I know ours used to catch mice and eat them too…anyway…I’m wanting to keep them well fed and healthy with no feed…if possible.  They have some forage space in our chicken lot area, but not enough to feed them totally.  I know they do well on table scraps, but we NEVER have scraps…between my frugal cooking ways and three chihuahuas, plus us…lol…there’s never a crumb left over.  Anway…jsut a thought…anybody who knows how to feed a chicken confined to a small lot, without using commerical feed or corn, let me know!

fiddlewood
    fiddlewood
    Participant

My farmer friend thinks that should work ok…he said to try it and monitor how they are doing…if not doing well then you’ll have to supplement with feed.

rodger
    rodger
    Participant

A friend of mine was teaching his mule not to eat.  He just about got him trained when the mule up & died…

Steve Srader
    Steve Srader
    Participant

Dave I don’t know why for sure but yes they did , I did buy the Zubak Soloist violin package for $1800.00 and I told them that the CodaBow prodigy was actually for the advancing student and I felt for that violin deserved  and should have a better bow at least one up from the CodaBow prodigy , and they did they sent both , So I got the violin , case , set of strings , rosin , and two bows .

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

Steve, you should be the official spokesman for all fiddlers everywhere…lol…get everybody some good bows!  Rodger…my fear is the fate of the mule of which you speak…lol.  Dave…thanks…I figured they oughta be able to forage if they had access to the right stuff.  Ours used to eat hay seed, and they’d always go after sunflower seed, lamb’s quarter greens and seeds, etc.  So I’m thinking, it seems logical that they’d also go after what’s available in the wintertime…mainly mast and stuff like that…the occasional mouse (if not supplied by nature, I could give them sardines…our chickens always loved to devour a can of sardines for a treat…etc.).  I’m not sure this would make me non-allergic to eggs again, but my thinking is that I wonder if the feed has things I’m allergic to (mainly wheat…which I can’t eat).  I did ask a vet I knew who worked with diet in his animals to cure lots of chronic conditions, mainly in dogs, anyway…he sainays the feed protein allergens should not go into the meat or eggs…so…according to him my little idea might not work.  Gotta try anyway.  I would love to have backyard eggs again!  I’d love one of them fancy bows too…lol…I guess I’ll buy me a powerball ticket and see if I get rich enough to buy everybody a new bow…dont hold your breath.

fiddlewood
    fiddlewood
    Participant

Wow…sat down to play fiddle about when it got dark…put it down for a break and noticed the news was on…turned the volume up and the lady  said “thanks for waking up with us!”…to my surprise it was 430 am!

I had sort of planned on working this morning, but might take a nap and go in this afternoon instead.

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

Gee Whiz…what were you playing?  You must’ve been really hittin’ it!

fiddlewood
    fiddlewood
    Participant

Just working on learning some things like normal…totally lost track of time.

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

I don’t get much practice at the moment, but when I sit down at that presonus and start something…I usually have no idea what I’m gonna do, or how it’s gonna go, or whatever, but it just starts proceeding along in one way or another and my husband usually has to come down and tell me how many meals we missed…lol.  Then I run upstairs and get to cooking something…anybody that knows me personally knows how weird that is, because I’m always the hungriest person in any situation…but the events on the presonus over ride the hunger…I could easily sit up all night too, but the way our house is the dungeon opens up to the bedroom…so the lights and noise would disturb the husband and chihuahuas who would be in there sleeping…lol…so…I usually call it quits by night time.  I do understand though, Dave…time can just fly when you’ve got music going on.

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

I gotta make sardine cakes…anybody ever do it before?  The truth is, as far as environmentally, sardines are the best fish…there are plenty wild in the ocean and you’re not taking food from any other sea creatures…they don’t live long enough or grow big enough to collect toxins, plus they are at the bottom of the food chain, making them clean…they are never farmed, always wild…they’re full of omega 3s, calcium, all kinds of good stuff…you can buy’em anywhere and they’re cheap…only problem…they don’t taste that good.  The solution…the groundhogpeggy/cricket way…mash up the can of sardines (take ’em out of the can first!) oil and all…add enough water and flour (I like corn flour, P.A.N. brand, but sometimes I use rice flour…heck, any flour works) so it takes on the consistency of play doh…you could add an egg…I don’t do eggs, so I never do that…anyway…some Old Bay Seasoning goes great in this, or just salt and pepper or whatever…add onions if you want or don’t, just whatever.  Form into patties and fry those suckers in oil until they are really crispy on side one, turn and do the other side…taste great…chihuahuas love them and so do people, even people who don’t like sardines.  My husaband, who hates liver and sardines, had no idea I was feeding him sardines all this time until i spilled the beans one day…Of course it has nothing to do with liver…I haven’t found a way to get that into him yet…not to mention nothing to do with beans…which he loves…I make bean cakes the same way though.  Anyhow…that’s one thing I’m up to…wanna make some.  Good stuff… peanut sauce goes great on those too, but … well I’m gonna have to wait until tomorrow…which should be Presonus day too….not sure how much time I’ll get… hungry!

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

Daggone…feels like wintertime…cold and damp.  I was playing in thePresonus dungeon earlier today and my instruments were just a-poppin’ out of tune…lol.  Especially the fiddle…the fiddle did not like the climate in there today!

Frederick
    Frederick
    Participant

Cricket, I make tuna fish patties once in a blue moon and used to make them a lot when my children were growing up. Everybody loved them. I learned how from my mother who used to make them for me and my brother when we were growing up.

There’s a simple formula to making them. I know you won’t care for them because there are eggs involved, but here’s the recipe anyways:

Put in a fiddle CD, turn it up and then: In a large bowl, empty contents of 1 can tuna fish (in water), break two eggs and break three slices (maybe four) of bread (your choice) into small pieces. Mix thoroughly and form into patties (just like hamburg patties) and fry in a pan flipping from time to time until the patties are cooked through.

For a larger meal, use three cans of tuna, 6 eggs and eleven or twelve slices of bread. Serve with your favorite vegetable and/or mac & cheese. Yummy!

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

Sounds yummy, Fred, and basically the same idea…I can’t eat bread either…lol…thus, mine have to be rice flour or corn flour or some other thing like sorghum flour…no eggs, and the fish…although I use sardines…sometimes salmon but sardines are the best value, I believe for the money.  Yet, it sounds like we got the same basic principle going on …same idea…for sure it’s a yummy idea. Do you crumble up the bread for this?  I make patties out of everything, really…if you have left over cooked veggies…you can mash them up, spice ’em up any ol’ way, put in the flour and water (or eggs or whatever you use)…fry ’em up into patties///we call ’em burgers…and make veggie burgers…or I do that with beans too…mash pinto beans and throw in whatever…onions, mushrooms or nothing or spices or whatever…add the flour until it’s playdough and fry ’em up…it just works for lots of stuff. I started doing that when all I had to cook on was a fireplace…everything had to be done hoe cake style…lol.  Whatever I had, I put it into a patty/burger…because I never was crazy about boiled anything…put it in a patty and I’ll like it…boil it and it’ll be gross…lol.

John (BGD)
    John (BGD)
    Keymaster

Fran, I’m glad to hear you are getting OBS up to speed! I can’t wait to hear it.

Dave, I want to hear you playing Sally Goodin. I will eventually get a lesson up for that one!

Steve, that must have been one heck of an upgrade! They outfitted you with some GREAT bows!

Angela, I’m glad you had a fun jam. It is amazing when I think about how far you have progressed.

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

Those are all great projects, yes!  But don’t forget Fred and I are sitting there eating fishcakes…lol.  No seriously…just kidding…it’s so good and inspiring too, to hear what people are doing.  Tlhanks everybody for letting us in…and keep on laying out those goals…as my old boss in the library said 50 times a day…lol.

Frederick
    Frederick
    Participant

Cricket, to answer a question you asked me in our above conversation… I tear up the bread into half-dollar-sized pieces. After having talked about this recipe, I’m gonna have to go to the store and get some tuna and make some patties today…that’s all there is to it! lol. Most everyone I know likes to dabble a little mayonnaise on their patties. I’ve even seen tartar sauce used and also ketchup. Probably horseradish would taste good, too, although I’m not much of one for hot horseradish after having tried it a few times years ago in “Bloody Mary’s” while in college.

In the music world I live in, I’m having a blast playing out almost nightly. Last night I played fiddle along with three other fiddlers and had a wonderful time. Some nights I play fiddle, others I play Dobro or banjo. Once in a while I get asked to play mandolin since I know a few Bill Monroe tunes that go over well…..like “Monroe’s Blues”, etc.

In the health department, I’ve received unsettling news but I’ve come to grips with it and I’m ready for what comes my way. The cancer has returned to my colon and I’ll be having a colo-resection with permanent colostomy due to invasive adenocarcinoma tumors. This is scheduled for the 14th of November. I have a lot of respect for my hospital team and expect things will go well. It’ll certainly be a new experience for me but the bright side is that I expect to be cancer-free from that point on. I’ve been cancer-free in my bladder for nearly three years now…..just gotta get the colon to cooperate.

So, I’m remaining here in Tennessee until fully recovered and then I’ll be heading back to Arkansas. I’m fortunate to have so many folks who care about me and my health. It helps a lot to know them.

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

Fred, my best wishes and hopes and prayers for a quick and full recovery for you.  Glad you have good doctors and a good, supportive community.  Pulling for you, my friend…I’ll keep you in my prayers.  As to the fiddling and dobro and such…sounds like you and your jamming pals are having a blast…good to hear!  And, enjoy yourself some of them tuna cakes!

Frederick
    Frederick
    Participant

Well, I haven’t forgotten how to have a treat for lunch! That was just plain tasty! I made too many and ate too many, but it’s been quite a while since I’ve had anything that tastes so good…so I forgive myself. lol.

I’ve been teaching myself how to play pedal steel guitar lately. It’s been a fun project. I’m learning all I can about the E9 tuning and the A B & C pedals and two knee levers. I don’t have a pedal steel guitar (yet) but I’m not going to let a little thing like that stop me.

I already have the first 12 frets memorized (they just repeat an octave higher after that). It’s really cool how the pedals and levers (foot and knee) work. I think after my surgery is done and I recuperate and can lift things again, I’m gonna get me an E9 pedal steel with 3 foot pedals and a couple of knee levers.

I’ve learned twelve “grips” for each fret so far just using the A and B pedals. I think I’m going to really enjoy learning this instrument and I’ll be able to play it all over because people are crazy about “Country” around here.

Cricket, thanks for your very kind words about my health. I appreciate them.

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

Oh gosh, Fred…you’re making me hungry…didn’t you save me any, or do I have to go and make my own now?  That steel guitar sounds pretty complicated…I’m gonna have to see some videos, please…lol…country music is still the coolest, isn’t it?  Well, I don’t know how well it’d hold up to Chopin, but it’s right up there close…gotta be.

Keep us updated about your health…hoping and praying for the very best outcome.

fiddlewood
    fiddlewood
    Participant

I believe I’ve worked the last day at the course this season unless something comes up where the Boss needs a hand, or it warms up enough to have to mow once more.

Removed a couple more dead birch and picked up all the wood & brush I had down from this week & dropped it at the brush pile. Nice leisurely Fall afternoon.

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

Do you just work seasonally?  We’ve mowed our brains out this year…I’ve never seen so much rain…we’ve had to scramble any day it wasn’t raining to try and keep up, and I don’t think we ever mowed dry grass…lol.  Did you have all that rain up there, Dave?  I guess next we’ll be shovelin’ snow.

fiddlewood
    fiddlewood
    Participant

yes just seasonally at a golf course.

No. wet Spring and june, July were drought, then Aug was very wet.

I’m watching Station Inn Live right now on Fb.  special – “Nashville fiddlers play Kenny Baker Tribute”

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

Cool.

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

Sardine burgers for lunch again today…oh gosh those things are so good.  Your turn again, Fred!  I’m gonna get myself a can of tuna and see how we, which includes the three amigo chihuahuas, think of that.  Don’t eat too much, now!

Icebike
    Icebike
    Participant

Well, it’s finally back to winter.  We have had an unusually warm and long fall. It’s been great!  This morning, however, we woke to about 8 inches of heavy wet snow and it is still coming.  I volunteer to plow our large church lot and a few drives for folks who aren’t able to shovel.  The first day each year takes forever as I try to relearn how to plow smooth and be efficient – short memory span!  That said, I really enjoy an early morning going back and forth with a thermos of coffee nearby, good music on the radio, good scenery, and lots of time to think.

Joe

• This reply was modified 1 year ago by Icebike Icebike.
    fiddlewood
    fiddlewood
    Participant

I loved the 4 years I plowed snow!

Leaves haven’t dropped much here yet, but should in the next week or so. there are a few more in the yard every day.

• This reply was modified 1 year ago by fiddlewood fiddlewood.
    cricket
    cricket
    Participant

The new normal is weird and wacky weather, and all the suffering and misery it brings.

Frederick
    Frederick
    Participant

I noticed the leaves are changing along the highways here in eastern TN. They got real pretty here this morning kinda due to the overnight rain storms I’d say.

My oldest daughter sent me a picture of the newly fallen snow up in Keene, NY., yesterday. I kind of miss the snow after having lived with it for 60 winters before moving South.

Icebike, I used to love to plow snow, too.

Cricket, I’ll bet you and the doggies will love tuna patties. I’ve been thinking about cutting up some sweet red peppers and adding them to the mix next time I make some.

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

In Kentucky I guess most of us don’t have much experience plowing snow, but shoveling it…bustin’ up thick ice and such…does that count?  lol…I actually like to do that, but we park on the road, so what we end up doing is a strange thing.  Back home we’d thaw the drive with hot coals and klinkers…up here, though, we wait for the truck to come down and then dig

the car out from under whatever he does…lol.  It’s a weird setup.  One lane road on a hill with us parking right on the road itself…the houses across the street have concrete driveways going up the hill…so of course, the thaw and the rains wash us out regularly.  Anyway…I always did like shoveling snow.  Not crazy about rain and mud all the time though.  I think everybody on our side of the road got water damage this summer.

Well Fred I’m thinking since for some reason I just never buy tuna, these Chihuahuas are gonna be pleasantly surprised at something new for them.  I used to eat tuna…then we were vegan for 12 years, and I always made this stuff for sandwiches vegans call “tuNO,” which is mashed chickpeas with lemon juice and seaweed…kinda tastes something like tuna…but after we stopped being vegan, back I guess 15 years ago it’s been now…for some reason I picked up salmon and sardines, but just kinda forgot about tuna…it’s been a Looooooooooong time since I’ve had tuna.  Lookin’ forward to that.  I remember the days when we’d take our poles down the bank oustide the back door and dig up a coffee can of green worms from the sand in the bank, throw out a line and cook up some fresh catfish for supper, with cornbread and collard greens…yum!  Now, I really don’t know if it’s safe to eat the fish in the rivers and lakes around here.  I’d like to dig my own little crawdad and sunfish pond in the back at the bottom of our hill…always been a goal of mine, but don’t know if we’ll ever do it.  I’d eat fish from my own pond, crawdads too…but not too sure about the waterways around here.  Lots of industry and dirty stuff…kinda scary…thus, sardines!  And tuna when I get out to the store!

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

Whoa…I’m feeling sorry for my cello…it wants to sing.  It’s stuck in standard tuning, but it wants to be cross-tuned again, and it wants to sing…it’s been neglected for too long.  Sorry, cello…no time today…but soon…soon, little cello…unfortunately, my fumbly playing makes for pretty shaking cello-singing…lol…but soon, little cello, and I will try my best.  Hang on, little lonely cello!  Poor thing!  Poor little silent cello.

Frederick
    Frederick
    Participant

The Lonesome Cello ( a poem by Fred Warner as inspired by Cricket)

The olden cello sings its’ lonesome lullaby

The darker the strains, the more it seems to cry

Not a Siren from the seas nor an angel from on High

Can soothe the pains of its’ lonesome lullaby

Cry, oh mighty cello, cry your mournful song

Wail, oh mighty cello, wail the evening long

Not a Siren from the seas nor an angel from on High

Could e’er soothe the pains of your lonesome lullaby.

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

LOL…that’s actually very good, Fred! It really is. You’re not only a musician, but a poet too.  Well…I was just thinking earlier today my cello needs its own little song…did you read my mind?  Ok…well…gonna have to sing this one with the little lonely cello!

Frederick
    Frederick
    Participant

Thank You, Cricket. It was truly an inspiration based wholly on your post.

I actually created an arrangement of it with my fiddle in the key of D Major and in 4/4 time. I wish I had a way to play it for you but at this time I just don’t. Besides, I’d rather be able to have the piece heard with several instruments for the fullness of emotions that are so much a part of the melody. I would love to score it for cello as a part of a stringed quartet. Maybe some day……

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

Fred, you can’t leave me hanging like this…you just can’t!

John (BGD)
    John (BGD)
    Keymaster

Fred, that’s awesome. Nice lyrics, and I bet the tune is even sweeter!

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

Well guys, I spent about 4 precious Presonus hours making an ugly mess on my machine down there today…lol.  Ugh…it was bad, I mean B-A-D!  That one goes in the trash for deletion.  I gotta admit, though, I still had fun doing it..lol.  Weird, hey?  I hope I come up with something better next time.

Frederick
    Frederick
    Participant

Here’s some more of What I’ve been up to:

Thursday I had a blast playing the fiddle at a jam session where I normally play the Dobro or the banjo, but rarely a fiddle because there’s usually two to four fiddlers that show up. Well, this past Thursday, not one fiddler showed and I was made aware of it in plenty of time so I brought my fiddle and played it all evening. There was a good mix of Old Country and good old traditional Bluegrass so I had an absolute blast with my fiddle! The group consisted of a judge, three doctors, a lawyer, a commercial airplane pilot and a few others who love music.

Saturday morning and into the afternoon, I played fiddle with a group of musicians that for the most part I’ve never picked with before. I had a blast here, too. I got to play along with a very accomplished pedal steel player and he and I traded/shared breaks for three hours. After we were done playing for the day, I was able to try the pedal steel and put all my studying to actual practice. He was very impressed with all I knew about the steel without ever having played one. I’ve been cramming all I can learn at home because when I get the chance I will purchase one and get into a Country band (old country, preferably). Now the knee levers make a lot more sense than they did before I actually tried the guitar.

Saturday night, I jammed Bluegrass with Tennessee legislator, Phil Roe who was in town at the Boones Creek Opry performing with an entourage of Bluegrass musician friends. Now that was fun! He was good friends with fiddlin’ Robert Dole and his lovely wife, Elizabeth.

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

Sounds like a good time, Fred! Rubbin’ elbows with some good musicians!

Steve Srader
    Steve Srader
    Participant

Yahoo , Skip to my Lou !

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 998 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.