What are y'all up to?

This topic contains 1,006 replies, has 17 voices, and was last updated by MoonShadows MoonShadows 22 minutes ago.

Viewing 40 posts - 881 through 920 (of 1,007 total)
  • Author
    fiddlewood
    fiddlewood
    Participant

Picked up a mandolin yesterday.

Built by Eugene McGhee, Oliver springs, Tenn. in probably around ’99 from what I’m told.

Bought it from the estate of my friends brother.  We believe that he was the original owner of both this mando and my Martin D-28.

Gunnar Salyer
    Gunnar Salyer
    Participant

Well Cricket, that definitely looks like an axe swing, I’ve busted rocks before but not much. It’s also dangerous to loan a hammer to a local here, they break them like crazy lol.

Dave, congrats on your new mandolin, I’d love to see pictures and/or video!

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

Cool, Dave!  Do you play mando already, are just now gonna learn?  Have fun with that.

Gunnar, I’ve never busted rocks before…but Mike told me just pretend you’re splitting a log with a maul…and so it’s pretty easy…actually the rocks bust up easier than the logs split up.  I kinda like it…kinda fun.  Although I wish we just weren’t all wrapped up into this retaining wall nightmare of an existence…lol.  Anybody who regularly breaks hammers on loan must just be too strong…lol…is all I can say.  Lack of Twinkies, Snickers Bars, and Little Debbies in their diet, possibly…lol.

Steve Srader
    Steve Srader
    Participant

That’s some nice hammer swinging with a nine pound hammer tune coming into my head ! Go Girl Go !

fiddlewood
    fiddlewood
    Participant

Peggy, I played mando in a band for a couple seasons about 25 years ago…haven’t touched one since.

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

Steve, lemme know if you got some boulders that need bustin’…lol.

Dave, I’m sure it’ll all come back to you.  Enjoy!

fiddlewood
    fiddlewood
    Participant

haha, I’m better on it now than I ever was when I played one before.

Gunnar Salyer
    Gunnar Salyer
    Participant

Not surprising considering what you’ve been playing on fiddle. I’d love to hear a sound sample of the mandolin

fiddlewood
    fiddlewood
    Participant

Here’s a little sound check just from my laptop w/built in mic.

I’m planning on having the fingerboard scooped at ~22nd fret.

Action is super low right now too while I get used to fingering on frets again.

• This reply was modified 2 months ago by fiddlewood fiddlewood.
    Gunnar Salyer
    Gunnar Salyer
    Participant

Nice! Sounds good!

fiddlewood
    fiddlewood
    Participant

It’s got a very good tone & volume. finish work is not the greatest, but then neither is mine (haha) so we fit well together.

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

Cool, Dave.  Sounds wonderful.  Congrats again on getting that.  I always thought they looked hard to play…the chords look hard to form and with the double strings, etc., I’ve never touched one but always figured they’d be challenging.  I used to have a 12 string guitar…that wasn’t too awkward, but definitely had its challenges.  Well, anyway…you’re sounding good, there, hope you have a lot of fun with that.

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

We’re both kinda sick today…sore throats, etc.  And just feel like yuck.  We haven’t been out to the wall yet…had errands in town and then we crashed and burned from no energy.  So…taking a break from…from eating lunch and washing dishes and from taking breaks…lol.  I guess we’ll get down there today at some point or other…if not, I might just crawl down to the presonus and see if I can think of something fun to play.  Don’t think I can sing…voice is raspy.

fiddlewood
    fiddlewood
    Participant

might have overdone it on the wall maybe?

Opened my guitar case to get a tuner for the mando & looks like some over-humidification…light mold spots all over…took a cloth and rubbed it all off, then set it out on it’s stand to dry for a couple days.

On the good side, the top flattened back out…

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

Hope it’s ok, Dave.

Yeah I think we’ve worked too hard, got too exhausted, Cricket kept waking us up all night with some kinda problems she was having, and besides all that, apparently we managed to inhale somebody’s viruses to boot…lol.  We didn’t make it down to the wall today…both too tired…told Mike I almost feel too tired to breathe today…and it doesn’t feel that great to breathe anyhow.  Didn’t even make it down to the presonus…just sorta drank coffee and said how we oughta go work, but just never did.  I made a lot of interesting coffee variations and then some vitamix fruit based “ice creams” to make our throats feel better.  Hopefully we’ll get an early start in the morning.

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

Getting ready for a good, long day of work.  It’s not even getting up to 80 today, supposedly, as they say, and we know they are usually wrong…lol.  But working in the 70s…can’t imagine the luxury that will be…ahhhhh…the 70s.  Everybody have a good day!

MoonShadows
    MoonShadows
    Participant

Don’t overdo it cricket! Woke up this morning to the upper 40’s. Chills off real fast here in the Pocono Mountains this time of year. Some trees are already turning.

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

Wow…sounds like fall has begun where you are, Jim!

Well so far it’s been a strange day…we were gung ho…even though we both have the croup or something…lol…then it rained…covered everything up and went in and I got on the presonus, but then it stopped raining, shut down the presonus and put my instruments back and went oustide and uncovered the area and started, and it rained, etc., etc.  We’ve mostly gone through that whole cycle a few times today…lol.  Yeah it’s cooler, but there’s no rain in the forecast or on the radar…just in the air and coming down to the ground…lol.  Stopped again now, so back outside I go to work until the rain stops us again!

JBounds
    JBounds
    Participant

I wish Fall would hurry up in my neck of the woods. I’m ready.

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

Our summer started out so cool and rainy it was just a bummer to get the garden out and try to do things on time.  Then, BLAM…it’s suddenly mid-90s every day and not much rain at all…that’s about when I noticed the wall was on the way down, dangerous, and not gonna wait for us to decide what to do…we had to get going with that project…so…the rest is history…us working ourselves to death in mid-90, sunny location…lol.  Ouch.

MoonShadows
    MoonShadows
    Participant

We do get that heat and humidity up here in the Poconos in July and August. It can be dreadful at times, but then it’s like someone flips a switch, and the next thing you know the days are in the 70’s and the nights are in the 40’s…just seems to happen all of a sudden. Fall is so pleasant and beautiful here, but then comes winter…ugh!

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

Yeah, I’m only a wintertime fan when it looks beautiful and snowy, and then goes away!  When it gets all locked in, icy, cold, colder, colder…etc., day after day, I’m ready to move to a tropical island and try my hand at growing coconuts…lol.

Gunnar Salyer
    Gunnar Salyer
    Participant

Well, today is my birthday! I’m not having a party yet though, cuz we’re having a combined party with one of my brothers later this month. I’m gonna keep telling people I’m sixteen though until I either get a driver’s license or release an album (I want to equal Natalie Macmaster and Sierra Hull 😂😂)

MoonShadows
    MoonShadows
    Participant

Happy Birthday, Gunnar!

Happy Birthday

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

Happy Birthday, Gunnar!  Enjoy your celebration with your birthday-brother!

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

Oh, I forgot to say…what am I up to?  Still nothing much besides the wall which is going to kill us both or make us go insane.  Gonna be another hot day and next several days.  We’re stuck until the next load of gravel gets here sometime this morning.  Anyway, I’ve shared here, but since we take a lot of breaks because it just gets very difficult, on breaks I can’t really play music because it’s just noisy and then we can’t talk…so I got to taking crayons, just kids’ crayons and scribbling out doggie portraits of our little dogs on printer paper…cheap crayons on cheap computer printer paper.  Something to do during breaks besides keep the dishes washed or cook or whatever.  Well I shared my little drawings on FB and now a friend…the one I bought my trash can fiddle from…she lives in the city and found it in a neighborhood trash can on garbage day several years ago…its wasn’t in too bad shape, but she took it home as a decoration beside her fireplace (ouch) and for years I begged her to sell it to me.  Finally, about 5 years ago…she did sell it to me and I got if fixed (expensive local luthier…can’t afford to do that again…lol)…seams re-glued, bridge cut, soundpost…I think that was it…then my husband put new geared tuners in there for me…recut the bridge (shoulda let him do that in the first place)…anyway, it’s a pretty nice fiddle…well anyway, this friend saw my little doggie portraits on FB and wants me to do one of her dog…lol… I’m like, seriously?  I would give ANYTHING if someone would ask me to play music…I feel somewhat confident in my ability to play music, handle music, etc., and would love it if anyone ever took any interest or wanted me involved in something music-wise…but no, here with crayons, something I know nothing about, have very little experience with…absolutely no cofidence that I can even do what I start…or just going out of ignorance, really…no idea what I’m doing…now somebody wants me to do THAT…lol…but music…no never…how weird is that?  Well, I’ll try to draw her dog, but…makes me pretty nervous because … I can’t explain the amount of ignorance and confusion I have when I start these little projects…I mean… honestly…how can I say it…I DO NOT know what I’m doing…I’m just ignorantly scribbling until I see something that looks like a dog…lol.  I’ll do it…because I never say no.  But it’s scary, and I wish it was something musical somebody wanted from me…that’s my true passion…sits moldy and unused…but it’s what I really love.  The drawing is just scribbling out of a state of ignorance…lol.  Isn’t that funny?  Life can be very strange in this world.

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

While waiting for the gravel truck to get here, I tried making red lentil pizza crust…good time…gonna get back into the mid 90s so I’m done with the oven now.  Not bad.  I haven’t had ANY type of bread since December…this will be good today…yay!  And now the gravel is dumping out into the front yard…so…hopefully we can have another cup of coffee before we get out there and break our backs again today.  Not bad weather so far, but it is supposed to get hot as the day goes along.

Frederick
    Frederick
    Participant

Cricket, I think your drawing abilities are wonderful and I’ll bet that you start a drawing not knowing how or where it’ll end up and “feeling” your way through all the way to the finish line; just drawing, examining, re-examining, re-drawing, until everything looks in place. That’s where the best art comes from. You do wonderfully!

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, GUNNAR!!!!!!

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

Fred, I sure appreciate that encouragement.  It’s true…I just wander my way through…for a while it looks like a dog, the dog, then it morphs into a mess, then it starts changing back into a dog, mess, dog, mess, Loch Ness Monster, dog, pig, dog, mess, dog…and finally I just stop…lol.

Gunnar Salyer
    Gunnar Salyer
    Participant

Thanks for the birthday wishes everyone!

Cricket, if I ever have anything to do with a business that could use live music I’ll hire you! In the meantime, I also think your drawing skills are really good. On my Instagram account, a picture I shared of my dinner got like 30 likes, and an original song I posted (Dragonslayer’s reel) got like five. It’s messed up.

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

Isn’t that weird?  I wish the music would just draw more people in.

JBounds
    JBounds
    Participant

Happy Birthday, Gunnar

Gunnar Salyer
    Gunnar Salyer
    Participant

Thanks John! Yes Cricket, it’s totally weird

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

Well this virus thing is just hanging on and there’s not much improvement…actually, NO improvement…if anything, I’ve felt worse everyday so far, so I guess one day I’ll start improving and then just have a party!  Not getting much work done because we feel so bad…well, Mike is getting some done because he had this croupie thing and I caught it from him, so he’s a few days ahead of me on it.  But it’s hard for him doing my part and his part and it being so hot.  Anyway, I’ve tried to catch up with a few other neglected things and tried to rest up…during this day I woulda had an hour here and there to play…but…I could not think of one doggone thing to play!  Just couldn’t think of anything.  I came close to seriously thinking of a couple of things, but then decided nope.  I was gonna play the old time Blackberry Blossom…a.k.a. Garfield’s BB, but fiddled around with it a little bit and decided it bugs me that it sounds so much like Yew Piney Mountain, a tune I did put on youtube once a while back and I seriously love…love that tune.  Blackberry blossom, the old one…I love that too, but when I play it I feel like I’m just corrupting Yew Piney Mt., or something…lol…so, obviously don’t have the right thinking about it for now.  Was gonna do a Bonaparte with just guitar and banjo picking, but really wanted to do someting on a fiddle.  So I didn’t do that.  Was gonna sing one, but my voice is so raspy and crackling so I decided aganst that idea too…so…once I start supper, time’s up.  Gettin’ close to that time.  Frustrating…had time to play music and didn’t do it!  I hope I’m not running out of Presonus ideas!

fiddlewood
    fiddlewood
    Participant

My latest acquisition.

“Hand crafted by Eugene McGhee, Oliver Springs TN…1999”

JBounds
    JBounds
    Participant

Wow that looks nice. My older brother plays mandolin and has  a couple of nice o ne’s. One in particular that has the brightest sound I’ve ever heard from a Mando

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

Beautiful, Dave.  Hope you get a lot of fun out of it.

Icebike
    Icebike
    Participant

Nice looking mandolin Dave. I picked up a used Mid-Missouri a few years ago. I first tinkered with it when I travelled and didn’t want to carry the good fiddle. Now I go back and forth between both instruments.  Some tunes I like better on the fiddle and some on the mandolin.  I just got back from a long camping and hunting trip and the mandolin was a great companion.

Joe

fiddlewood
    fiddlewood
    Participant

Joe, I am just going through the “sorting out” process of which I like better on what, and readjusting to using more open strings on mando where I would normally use my pinky on the fiddle.

It think the mandolin will actually be helping me become better on the fiddle because it seems to beg a different approach to many passages.

Gunnar Salyer
    Gunnar Salyer
    Participant

Definitely a great looking mandolin! I’ve noticed that while a lot of my repertoire overlaps from fiddle, there’s a few songs that don’t, both ways. Have fun!

Viewing 40 posts - 881 through 920 (of 1,007 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.