What are y'all up to?

Online Fiddle Lessons Forums What else is on your mind? What are y'all up to?

Viewing 20 posts - 441 through 460 (of 1,020 total)
  • Author
    FrederickFrederick
    Participant

I’ve also spent quite a bit of time tonight playing the Mississippi Waltz as performed by Kenny Baker. It’s in the key of F (Guitar capoed to 1st fret and played in the E chord shape). This is such a catchy waltz….so blue I love it!

fiddlewoodfiddlewood
    Participant

Fred,  yeah I didn’t push it too hard being my first day back to work. still sore all over. I’ll turn 60 in July and am sure missing all my former energy & strength.

Worst part is the blisters and uncomfortable feet all day (new-to-me boots that are getting tossed now). Don’t remember ever having a blister on the bottom of my big toes before…heels are torn up too.

Few things are as unenjoyable as working with sore feet.

I love playing Mississippi Waltz…another good one!

• This reply was modified 1 year, 1 month ago by fiddlewoodfiddlewood.
    cricketcricket
    Participant

If I think I’m gonna do something or wear a shoe that’s gonna give me blisters, I put duct tape on the part that’s likely to get blistered…lol.  It does help, but I guess not once you get the blisters.  Nothing like painful blisters on your feet…ouch.  Guys, I’m gonna have to look up Mississippi Waltz…doesn’t ring any bells with me.  Does it have to be played in F?  Have you guys played Wednesday Night Waltz…oh gosh…how’d my writing get bold?  Sorry…  oh…ok…it’s ok now.  Anyway, yeah I’m gonna look for mississippi Waltz later on.  I’ve had a little song in my head lately…one I haven’t thought of for a long time…Darling Nellie…Nellie something-or other.  That was my grandmother’s name…Nellie.  Anyway, it’s an old sad Kentucky slave song, similar to My Old Kentucky Home…in that the fate of the Kentucky slave was when times got tough and to live with the nightmare of knowing you might get sold down the river or just south…where you’d be worked to death in no time.  Not that it would be any good to be a slave in Kentucky either, but, supposedly…maybe because of the difference in climate and crops or whatever, or because Kentucky was not a Confederate state (although fighting happened on both sides), I don’t know…but supposedly Kentucky slaves could stay together as families and weren’t worked to death…had more responsibility on the farms (could manage certain things, etc.)…never good to be a slave, but they knew it would be a lot worse if they were shipped south and would live a short and very hard life from there.  Sad songs…but the song itself, the music, is very beautiful…sung by abolitionists of the time, like My Old Ky Home, sorta.  Anyway…I need to play that one, one of these days, if I get the time for it before it leaves my mind.  Can’t quite remember how it goes exactly, but I never do…so they all just come out my way.  Gonna look up Mississippi Waltz…probably way too hard for me…lol.

FrederickFrederick
    Participant

Darling Nellie Grey. My father used to sing it and play it on the fiddle when I was a little kid growing up back in the 1950’s.

Mississippi Waltz sounds the best right there in the key of F. (imho)

cricketcricket
    Participant

Just found them both on youtube… so…yeah, I think I’ll stick with the easy one…lol.

FrederickFrederick
    Participant

I’ve just arranged a fiddle break for “Little Rock Getaway”. I play it in C on the banjo, so I wrote this one for C on the fiddle. The tune is written originally (I think) in B Flat. have a go at it. It’s not for the faint at heart, lol. I’m giving myself plenty of time to get it up to speed. It took me forever on the banjo! lol.

Steve SraderSteve Srader
    Participant

Ha I am still working on twinkle , twinkle , little star , just kidding , also I cannot read sheet music yet ! So I am out !

cricketcricket
    Participant

me too…the music wont tell me anything and i probably couldnt play it anyway…lol.  play it for us, Fred!

FrederickFrederick
    Participant

Hi Cricket: I can’t play it worth a hoot yet. It’s tough going just to get it started out at a good clip. Someday, I’ll play it for y’all, just not ready for prime time yet. I wish I had a good backing track with this chord progression in 4/4 to help me…but, oh well.

cricketcricket
    Participant

No hurry…I’m sure you will have it going great before too long!  I guess you don’t have your recording equipment down south with you and can’t make a track.  Did you look for one online anywhere?  There’s a neat site called…I think something like Free Bluegrass Backing Tracks…goes by FBGBT or something like that similar…I haven’t been there for a long time, but it’s got lots of BG tracks, and a speed adjuster, so you can slow it down for practice or speed it up however you like.  It’s also got a thing where you can let “the band” play along, or keep them out of it and just play along with the bare bones jam track if you prefer.  Don’t know if that tune would be on there, but it used to be they had a place where people could request tunes to be put up…just free online.  Have you seen that?

cricketcricket
    Participant

Oh, well turns out I still have the site bookmarked…

http://www.fbbts.com/Tunes.html

Oh, but I looked on it and didn’t see Little Rock Getaway…anyway…thought I’d link the site anyway, because it can come in handy for practice once in a while if you’re looking for something you can’t find anywhere else.

• This reply was modified 1 year, 1 month ago by cricketcricket.
    cricketcricket
    Participant

Oh, but I just saw you put it into another key anyway…well, you could look at the chord progression page of FBBTs site and see if by chance the chord progression in the key you want would happen to be there…if you’re really lucky…lol.

cricketcricket
    Participant

Oh, but I looked really quck and it doesn’t look like they have B progressions…

cricketcricket
    Participant

Oh but is it C you wanted?  They do have some C progressions, so you might wanna look and see…ok…I”m done with my “oh-but-tings” now and gotta run. Good luck with it, Fred!

Gunnar SalyerGunnar Salyer
    Participant

?????

FrederickFrederick
    Participant

Oh, Thanks, Cricket. (lol). I’ll try to download it sometime today. I played Bluegrass most all of yesterday and didn’t get around my computer much. But, today I’m pretty much free other than running errands and being invited out to dinner.

FrederickFrederick
    Participant

Hi Cricket. I did download the program and it is useful for some practice for sure. Thanks a lot. I appreciate it.

I’m writing a new fiddle tune for my brother Dave and his best friend Curt. I’m calling it “Rustler’s Creek” at their request. I haven’t even got any ideas yet, but I’m going to use the F-Tuned fiddle to do it with. (FCAF 4th to 1st) Wish me luck. Thanks.

Participant

Good luck

FrederickFrederick
    Participant

Thanks, Gunnar. Hope you’re having a wonderful time in your travels. Do be careful climbing windmills, tight-roping fences, balancing rock walls, etc. while playing the fiddle. We all want you back here in one piece. lol.

Participant

Haha! I’ll be about as careful as an athletic slightly foolish sixteen year old boy can be ????

Viewing 20 posts - 441 through 460 (of 1,020 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.