What are y'all up to?

This topic contains 1,019 replies, has 18 voices, and was last updated by cricket cricket 2 days ago.

Viewing 40 posts - 921 through 960 (of 1,020 total)
  • Author
    cricket
    cricket
    Participant

I’m feeling tempted to try playing a mando…I’ve never touched one in my whole life, though…lol.

Well I feel better this morning than I’ve felt in several days…neither one of us is exactly over this whole croupie-cold thing, but, doing better, and one more cup of coffee and we are heading outside to see how much work we can do today…yay!

Gunnar Salyer
    Gunnar Salyer
    Participant

Well I’m mad. I just spent the last 5 hours or so uploading the classical gas flatpicking video, and then it finally uploaded and I accidentally deleted it. Why is the system so dumb? It created two thumbnails for the video, and one of which is nothing, and I usually delete it and go on as usual. This time, I deleted it, and it deleted the video too. And there’s no way to undo it. I want to hit something right now. I need a punch bag

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

I saw that on my email…video unavailable.  Gee Whiz…that’s rotten.  I’m sorry that happened.  Frustrating.  One time something like tht happened to me…got a video accidentally deleted…then, this was a long time ago so I don’t know if they still do things the same stupid way they used to, or just new stupid ways, but when I tried to upload it again they told me I couldn’t because you can’t upload the same video twice or something stupid like that.  So I trimmed something like one second off of it and tried again and they published that video.  That kinda stuff is so frustrating…hope you get your video up…I was happy to see it on my phone, but realized something had gone wrong.

Kaeleigh
    Kaeleigh
    Participant

I just hate when that happens! I always upload things on my moms laptop which is so slow that you’d better have thirty other things to do while you wait 😉

Cricket, my dad has a mandolin that he never plays (made in Scotland!) and it’s so tempting! The only thing that keeps me away is the steel strings, I’m not used to them and it hurts!

Gunnar, happy belated birthday! I know, Natalie McMaster is the one who inspired me to play fiddle (way back when I was a toddler and she used to tour in the United States more often) but I had to give up the album at sixteen idea,  well, quite a while ago☺️

Gunnar Salyer
    Gunnar Salyer
    Participant

Yeah sorry. Half the stupidity was on me, but being mad at myself isn’t helpful, so I yell at inanimate objects. 😂😂 anyway, it’s on its way up, I hope nothing happens to it….

Gunnar Salyer
    Gunnar Salyer
    Participant

Wow, I just came to post something here and realized I missed Kaeleigh’s post 😱 I always make sure I won’t need my phone for at least three hours before I upload a video, usually I get a lot of practice in while uploading.

If your dad’s mandolin is set up correctly, go and play it for just a few days and your fingers will get used to it.

Belated thanks for the belated birthday wishes! 😁😁

Gunnar Salyer
    Gunnar Salyer
    Participant

Ok what I’m actually up to…

Last night I was up pretty late, around midnight I was starting to get ready to go to bed, which involves playing each of my instruments and putting them away. And I never crosstune my fiddle cuz I can’t play anything that way, I like fifths tuning. But I decided to tune to cajun tuning, but went to GDGD first and played that tune Texas. It was really cool! The fingerings were about the same, but the two I wasn’t playing resonating made a really awesome sound, and it was fun playing the tune an octave down too. The Gael sounds epic in cajun tuning, makes me want a viola….

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

yeah…I don’t know why uploading youtube from a phone takes so long!  It’s the slowest way to get something on youtube.

Gunnar, GDGD is awesome tuning…if you mess around with lots of stuff on there, you’ll find pleasant surprises.  Same with AEAE…and if you play the traditional A tunes in either one (of course the GDGD one they will sound in G instead of A), you might like them better there.  ADAD is another good one but for D tunes.

Well I’m back online like I said I wouldn’t be for the whole weekend…my daughter told me I should check my FB page…lol…she’s wanting to do some scenes from a Mozart opera…just scenes not the whole dang opera like she did the last time…and wants me to conjure up the music on my presonus…well, this is just what I needed…I’ve been at this bad burnout stage for a while and needed a big challenge to just give me a kickstart.  So that’s a good thing and we might start on it this coming week if we can get to it…the wall, of course is still there…ugh…one day hopefully we’ll get it finished…then another friend on FB said her dog died…so…got behind by staying offline.  Now going back offline until Monday, if I can…we’ll see.

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

Well we might try to get started on my daughter’s two opera scenes (uh-oh…this is how the other one started…two scenes and the next thing she decided what the heck; do the whole dang opera!!!  LOL)  by Tuesday or Wednesday this week.  As much of a struggle as the other one was, I’m looking forward to trying this one…I really just need a new challenge…a new project…of course there’s the wall…so…I won’t have unlimited time for the opera stuff…but hopefully that wall will get finished soon.  We will be out of gravel in another couple of days, so we’ll be waiting for another load and also we’ll probably need a truckload of dirt this time too…hopefully that’ll be close to the end..we’ll have to take our truck and buy something like 14 or so more blocks…I don’t think our truck can handle the weight of all of those at once, but it’ll still be cheaper to make a couple of trips for them than to have them delivered…then we need to go pick up the caps and glue that go on top…etc., etc.,…the point is that we are getting close to all that finishing up stuff.

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

Well we are just starting the finishing up portion of the wall…I guess if you divided the stages into fourths…we are on the last fourth of the whole daggone, awful thing.  But the exciting thing for me is that if I get time today, I’ve got the info I need from my daughter to attempt…key word, attempt…to start on the first of two opera scenes she wants to do. This is extremely difficult for me, but I made it through the other entire opera and even enjoyed the struggle…hopefully I’ll be able to do this one for her too.  She can’t ever find anybody else who sings opera…so…I gotta question…in the last opera it had mostly female parts…she paid one guy to sing a male part and got her dad to sing the other…neither one singers, let alone opera singers.  This time she wants to sing the male parts herself, but we both know there are some type of programs out there to allow you to drop something down an octave.  She needs one that will drop her voice down and octave and also make it sound like a male voice and not just freaky or something.  I know my Presonus has this thing called Melodyne or something like that and I’ve seen people online talking about dropping a guitar line down to sound like a bass…wondering if that would work and how on earth do you even find where that is on the presonus or studio one software or whatever…and how it’s used????  Anybody know about that?  Or about any other programs that would function to drop her voice down an octave?  I thought about what if she switched all the parts to just female…but there’s sword fighting scenes and she and her husband are both certified stage combat instructors and have had fencing/saber experience too, and she’d never find somebody else, if she switched to women, to be able to do an awesome sword fight with her.  If she keeps the other part male (even though I think her part she is switching to female), then she and her husband can do the sword fight like they want to.  Basically, same problem as the other opera…nobody much around that can help out…so the question is does anybody here know a good way to drop her voice down an octave for recording?  I hope I can even get the music sounding right on the presonus from that little yamaha keyboard we got during the other opera…for one thing, if I can’t get the Karoke, so to speak, track for her to sing with, then the whole thing just won’t happen at all…so cross your fingers and hope I can somehow do it.  Looking forward to trying, though, because I just need something different and fun…it’s also torture…lol…but still fun…torture can sometimes be fun, if it’s just creative torturing by yourself and of yourself, although I wouldn’t recommend trying it.

Gunnar Salyer
    Gunnar Salyer
    Participant

I hope you get it figured out. I’ve also wondered if there’s a way to drop an octave and if you figure it out I’d like to know

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

Well I won’t have time today or tonight to start working on it…hopefully tomorrow.  I will let you know if i find out how to drop down an octave…I know there’s a way…just don’t know how good it’ll sound or how easy it’ll be to do.

fiddlewood
    fiddlewood
    Participant

A quick search shows there are directions on the net for Audacity, garage band, and pitch changer…

• This reply was modified 1 month ago by fiddlewood fiddlewood.
    cricket
    cricket
    Participant

Dave, do you know if I can use any of those with the presonus?  I guess I should word that better…do you know if any of those can be used with presonus?  There’s no doubt i probably cannot…lol.

• This reply was modified 1 month ago by cricket cricket.
    fiddlewood
    fiddlewood
    Participant

To be honest I still don’t know what presonus is actually…

If you can upload/download/move track files in & out I would guess yes

• This reply was modified 1 month ago by fiddlewood fiddlewood.
    cricket
    cricket
    Participant

Ok…I don’t know what that means, what you just said…lol…I’m technically an idiot…I do know Presonus does a lot of tricks and stuff, but I never learned to do any of them…there are dozens of long youtubes where people show how to do that stuff…I never had the time ( or patience) to sit and watch and try to learn…whenever I’ve had that kind of time, I’d rather be playing and recording in my own simple way on the doggone thing.  I know it can do a lot of fancy stuff…I just need to learn how to do that.  I think there is a thing calleed melodyne or something that does it…I know that’s sitting there unused on my software so I guess I should try…so far I’ve had no time…if it’s a big learning curve I’m not sure I”ll get it…but if I do…I’ll try to explain how that works.

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

Well our gravel didn’t get delivered like it was supposed to this morning, so i found myself with a little time to work at the Mozart opera Annie wants me to do…I finished 1/4th of it…just less than 2 minutes of music…after going nuts…lol…gosh that is some hard stuff…I sent the mp3 to Annie to see if it’s right or not…I know from doing the other opera that usually she sends it back two or three times at least until I can get it right.  So…after a big struggle, I don’t really expect to have it right.  It’s hard.  I don’t read music, not really…I can de-code it and then try to rmemeber or somehow get something close to what the music said…she has the complete full score…and I’ve got the keyboard that pretends to play flutes, oboes, bassoons, violins, whatever…kinda cheapo sounding and not really good, but it worked ok for the Purcell Opera.  So…oh my gosh I couldn’t believe how hard this was…I just faked it through a buncha stuff that sounded to me something like youtubes…lol.  I told her I did that before sending..shoulda waited and told her after, i guess.  We’ll see what she says about it.  If by some miracle she passes and says time to move forward, then I might get the chance to start on the 2nd 4th of the short project over the weekend.  I’m glad to be doing it, because i really just needed a change because I was feeling kinda burnt out and directionless…this’ll reset my music goals for myself.  But maybe I won’t ever get it right because this stuff is hard.  We’ll se what happens!

Frederick
    Frederick
    Participant

I’ll bet you’ll do great, Cricket. Somehow, I just know it!

Kaeleigh
    Kaeleigh
    Participant

Cricket, that all sounds very confusing and like a lot of work! But you’ll do great!

Gunnar, to return to my dads mandolin, it has a funny neck which makes it difficult to hold. My hands are kind of small, but I just don’t think that’s it!

Gunnar Salyer
    Gunnar Salyer
    Participant

Cricket that’s challenging stuff, but I’m sure you’ll manage!

Kaeleigh, do you have pictures of it?

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

Well the part i sent to Annie…she accepted it as usable…so…I mean it had a lot of terrible-sounding stuff in it…but she thought it would still be ok, as ok as a college orchestra would do…lol…not sure what that means, but …ok…time to move forward with it.  I would connect it here with my dropbox account but I don’t even know how to log into that anymore…I was on it before, a few years ago…but I can’t get onto it anymore, so…whatever.  Y’all can hear it when she gets all done with her part.  I know you’re just dying to hear it…lol…ok, I’ll stop laughing now.  Time to move on to more hard work she has lined up for me…not to mention the other hard work, that daggone wall…neverending…we were supposed to get gravel delivered, but they didn’t get here…so…everything is stalled until we get more gravel.

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

Ok, well now I think I did get on dropbox…so…let’s see if it links…

[audio src="https://www.dropbox.com/home?preview=moz+1st+attempt+part+one+use+this.mp3" /]

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

Oh…apparently not…lol.

cricket
    cricket
    Participant
    cricket
    cricket
    Participant

Ok…maybe that’s the link.  So there’s supposed to be some kinda argument going on between opera singers at first, and then at the end it’s a sword fight happening.  Tough stuff…trust me…it ain’t really that good, but it sure was hard to do!

Gunnar Salyer
    Gunnar Salyer
    Participant

That was cool! Sounds very classical and operatic, and it doesn’t sound like it was done with a keyboard, it sounds very close to a real orchestra

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

Thanks, Gunnar…it was sure hard to do.  I’ ve got a lot more to work on.

Frederick
    Frederick
    Participant

What Gunnar said. 🙂

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

Thanks, guys.  I sent another little portion of the parts she’s planning to do earlier today…we got gravel delivered but then there was some other work to do and then it was just afternoon…like hot and close to supper time…so I ran down to the Presonus and tried it…gotta say, that one seemed so much easier, unless I was doing it all wrong…lol…very possibly…Annie’s been having a busy day so I haven’t heard back about that one yet.  We’ll see.  If that one passes, I get to move on to another one.  I did do a little bit of gravel-shoveling after supper too…busy, busy day!  I’m not putting all of these Mozart things on Dropbox…not sure I like dropbox, mainly because I just don’t know how to use it…whether I’m still on a “free trial,” or if it’s free or not free or how to log on and even how to find my page on there, etc.  I don’t like messin’ with it.  So, fortunately for everybody around here…you don’t have to be bored with my operatic attempts…lol.  That’s probably a good thing, trust me.

Gunnar Salyer
    Gunnar Salyer
    Participant

Well, we just had my (and my brother’s) birthday party today, and I got (among other things) a banjo mute (don’t you love it when your family gives you practical gifts….) and a set of Apollo Cheat-a-keys!!!!! Those are real dtuners, like the Lego ones that I made, except these actually work!  I’m so excited and already playing all the songs I know with them! They’re so fun!

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

Cool…glad you had a nice birthday party and good gifts that you can really use.  You’ll have to show-n-tell them in a youtube or two!

Well, guys, after starting to struggle and grapple anywhichway I can to help my daughter come up with sorta home-spun opera kareoke mp3s for her, I gotta say it has helped me quite a bit.  I’m getting all fired up about my own music again now…I gotta admit I was feeling really, really burnt out because of the isolation I was feeling by just playing only on Presonus, having no where else and nobody else to play with…but…I don’t understand how this works…but struggling through these ridiculously hard opera backing tracks for her somehow just resets my momentum again for my own music…music that I love.  Now I’m just raring to go again, recording some more music, whether it’s just all by myself or whatever…I don’t care again now…lol…weird how that works.

Trouble is now, I don’t have time.  We got a new load of gravel and a whole lotta shoveling to do…raking, shoveling, tamping…filling…of course it’s over 90 degrees again too…as it is everytime we have all of our supplies in for long days of work.

But the good news…Monday we’ll take the truck and get two loads…12 blocks one load (pushing the limits on our old, old half-ton pick up…it’ll weigh 1,200 lbs), and then another load with a few more blocks and the caps that go on top…those things weigh a lot too…I think 60 lbs each…so we still have to maybe make that into a couple of trips, depending on how many more block we need by then.  Those are the final things we need from the construction company… after that, it’s only a scoop or two, hopefully just one, of shredded topsoil…possibly more gravel afte that if we decide to make the area into a driveway…not sure that can work out, but if it does, it would get our cars off of the one-lane road where drunk, high, toasted and burnt out people drive all day and night…lol.  I’t’s scary to be parked there.

Gunnar Salyer
    Gunnar Salyer
    Participant

I’ll definitely show and tell them soon, I also want to put up a video of how to install them, cuz they don’t come with instructions and there’s not any videos for it (that I found anyway)

I’m glad to hear you’re enthused about your music again, I hope you can get that wall finished soon, and I look forward to hearing what you play next!

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

That’s awful nice, Gunnar…I sure appreciate the encouragement and I look forward to your upcoming videos too!

Gunnar Salyer
    Gunnar Salyer
    Participant

Well, I’ve suddenly started composing a waltz…. probably be finished by tomorrow, I’ll share it as soon as I can

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

Alright!  Can’t wait to hear it.

fiddlewood
    fiddlewood
    Participant

Just got back home from a friends’. He scooped the “florida” out of my mando fingerboard for me.

Also left my guitar there to get the bridge glued back down.

Ordered some new strings for the mandolin.

Trying not to notice the grass that needs mowed

JBounds
    JBounds
    Participant

Forget the grass play some Fiddle.

fiddlewood
    fiddlewood
    Participant

I’ll pay for it later, but that’s exactly what I did…with a nap thrown in for good measure.

Woke up all rested and ready to mow…and it’s dark & raining…

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

Well you can’t mow then, you’ll just have to play more fiddle!

We’ve had a long string of hot days and drought.  But, yet, still…mowing needs doing.  We’ve been so busy with the wall we haven’t kept up with other chores too good, and the heat and drought have sort of given us a pass on mowing as much as usual this summer, but it does definitely need to be done when we can get to it.

fiddlewood
    fiddlewood
    Participant

Well, got my place mowed finally yesterday.

New strings on the mando & old fiddle, had the “florida” scooped on the mando…Guitar is in the shop getting the bridge glued back down and should get it back in a week or so…I’m ready for the snow to fly!

Going to try again to get the tractor out onto the driving range this afternoon to pick balls and mow if possible…hoping it’s dry enough today.

Viewing 40 posts - 921 through 960 (of 1,020 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.