What are y'all up to?

Online Fiddle Lessons Forums What else is on your mind? What are y'all up to?

Viewing 20 posts - 481 through 500 (of 1,020 total)
  • Author
    Steve SraderSteve Srader
    Participant

Well ok Cricket , but don’t drown , under the waves !

cricketcricket
    Participant

I’ll try not to, Steve.  I’m hoping the cello floats…lol.

FrederickFrederick
    Participant

You can use the bow for a paddle. lol

cricketcricket
    Participant

Ah…good thinkin’, Fred!

Gunnar SalyerGunnar Salyer
    Participant

So, I think I’ve already told y’all that we got home, and that our water tank was leaking badly. So in the past week we’ve been trying to replace it, which would be fairly simple except that it’s mounted on a +- 20 foot tower. So we (our resident engineers my dad and one brother) built a device to which they mounted a pulley and we put the on the tower to try it out. The only problem is it was made out of half of an old trampoline, and was VERY weak. So they went and got some better metal and made a fairly square one, which was better, but we tried to use it to take the old tank down without damaging it, and due to the directions we pulled from, it buckled and the old tank had to plummet (it cracked, but no big deal cuz it was intended to be repurposed as a kids playhouse) so it was back to the drawing board for our engineering team (the combined skills of a 58 year old and a 10 year old) who were welding all day yesterday while we got all our water from buckets. If you have running water, consider yourself EXTREMELY blessed, cuz you only have to go one day without it to realize how much of a blessing it is. Anyway, this morning we mounted the lifter 3.0, and then using the truck to pull, hauled the can up without incident. I’ll try to describe the lift a little. The tower is a concrete structure, square, about eight feet wide and the same deep. Maybe a tad smaller. The first floor is a shed, the roof of which is about ten feet tall. Above that is open space with a pillar at each corner, atop which is a concrete slab of the same dimension. When the tank is on top, there’s about a foot on each side, with a little more in each corner due to the circle/square difference. And it’s a little higher than twenty feet. Anyway, on to the lift itself. The lift is constructed from box tube, which is exactly what it sounds like. They built it in a square, with support gussets in strategic positions, and a pulley at the top. So when we took it up, we hooked the bottom with (large) metal pins through conveniently located metal loops in the slab, then we stood it upright and secured it a slight angle off the front of the tower, \__ like that. We had already run the rope through the pulley, and we secured it also to something on the ground to keep it from falling backward. The one end of the rope (the actual rope to lift the tank) was attached to a peice of wood, which was put into the mouth of the tank at an angle and straightened once inside, and the other end was attached to the winch on our truck (which is the African version of a Toyota Tacoma) I believe someone was filming, so I’ll try to get that video up if I can. Anyway, we’re still at several hours away from getting our water running again as the new can has to be plumbed, but at least it’s up, and nobody died ??

cricketcricket
    Participant

What an adventure, Gunnar!  Glad you guys got it.  Sounds a lot like stuff we had to do all the time just to live in SE KY…to get water or heat or food or whatever…lol…it was always figuring out how to accomplish something with nothing but a bunch of old rusty junk and worn out tools.  Hope you guys are out of the water-hauling-in buckets soon.

FrederickFrederick
    Participant

Gunnar, it may not seem it at times, but all these hardships are helping you to enjoy living; finding challenges that bring out growth. I came up the hard way and became quite ingenious having done so. I don’t know of a better way to come up than through problem solving.

I notice that so many young people nowadays want to relax into whatever habitual grooves they’ve established and let the world go by, busying themselves with drugs and entertainment….whatever dulls the mind. But, you are out there living life in a forward leading direction and I for one am very proud of you. Keep up the great attitude.

Participant

Thanks, we’ve gotten pretty good at African engineering from our time here. We should have everything functioning by tomorrow

Steve SraderSteve Srader
    Participant

There was a time Gunnar , When taking a bath for Me , Was half a 5 gallon bucket of water a 10 oz. plastic glass a folding metal chair , sit down , bucket in front between legs , pour one glass of water on head , soap and lather hair , rinse hair , then work your way on down , usually water left over , Water was from a hand dug well , rope , pully and 2.5 gallon bucket about 40 feet to water , It actually was very efficient no waste of water as you set on a elevated  shower base , water was recaptured in bucket underneath to water garden with !

Participant

We actually had a time almost like that, many years ago before we had our own well, but the local well wasn’t that deep cuz the water table is high here, and the water was VERY dirty. We actually had some cool gadgets back then, we had two plastic Jerry cans (not sure if they call them that there) that we would set out in the sun, with a clear plastic blanket over them for greenhouse effect, then we’d put a regular blanket on them when we brought them in to keep them warm till we bathed. We also had a bag that we put water in and hung from the ceiling, and it had a hose and showerhead nozzle, so we could shower, but that was usually reserved for our parents. We would always bathe in big plastic buckets, which we fit in cuz that was back when I was about five.

Steve SraderSteve Srader
    Participant

Gunnar , Where there’s a will there’s a way !

Participant

True dat

Participant

Well, (that’s a deep subject) our water is running again, and none of us became a cautionary statistic, so yaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyy!!!! Anyway, it’s all working again, so we can finally get to the (million) other things that need fixing ?? and my five year old sister is climbing hand over hand across the crossbar of our soccer goal. That had nothing to do with anything, but it’s pretty cool

cricketcricket
    Participant

Give her a soccer ball and see what she can do with it!  Glad you are done with that project…and good luck with the rest of them.

Well, guys, sometimes I think the most sensible thing for me to do would be to hold off on doing recordings between Memorial Day and Labor Day…there’s so much work to try to get done this summer…it would be good if I just could stop obsessing over what to record next and just think about getting things done that desperately need getting done, up and down the road in several places that we take care of.  That way, if some music time comes my way, maybe I could focus on learning new stuff…maybe learning some of those early beautiful tunes I learned when I first got onto BGD, Maiden’s Prayer, Gardenia Waltz, Golden Fiddle Waltz…can’t remember what-all else…but I worked hard to learn them…they were all really beyond my skill level…forgot them all when stuff got hectic around us here.  Not sure…not sure what to do.

rodgerrodger
    Participant

Well Fred, hopefully you can write the last verse of the Dog Bite Rag now.  I got xrays yesterday and I’m off my antibiotics, and things look good.  I’m on a 12 month watch, because bone infections are notorious for coming back with a vengeance, but the doc doesn’t think it will.  Hand seems normal…thankful for that…

Participant

That’s good to hear, Rodger!

FrederickFrederick
    Participant

Wow, Rodger, what a long ordeal! I’m very happy to hear the good news and sure do hope it stays good news. Unbelievable poor luck getting bit and having all these complications follow. “Murphy’s Law” to be sure.

Cricket, don’t drive yourself crazy with trying to figure out what to do. Just relax the best you can and everything will work itself out.

cricketcricket
    Participant

Rodger, glad your hand is better and I hope it stays that way.  Fred, thanks…I can’t seem to manage all the stuff…lol.  We have too much work to do. It’d be nice if we ever just have just one place to worry about, I mean, one place is enough.

fiddlewoodfiddlewood
    Participant

Good to read of your hand Roger…hoping for the best.

“Gunnar, it may not seem it at times, but all these hardships are helping you to enjoy living; finding challenges that bring out growth. ”   

—Couldn’t have said it better myself!

Been raining a lot here…Soon I’ll get to spend another glorious day pulling up balls that are stuck in the ground…I think there are more people working at the golf course than there are customers. Hard to get much done there under water…

I’ve started another “impossible” project…learning Jim VanCleave’s #6 Barn Dance …whew what a brain teaser and workout, but I’m making better progress than I expected…have the A part & 1/2 the B part mostly memorised in three long days. The most difficult (position shifts) section is coming up, but I’m on a mission now and WILL get this…someday…haha.

Took an hour class on contest fiddling from Justin Branum on Thursday…have another class next week. Picked up tons of information and new ideas. Well worth the $25 I spent.

cricketcricket
    Participant

I’ve seen Jim Van Cleve’s fiddling…wow…way out there…tough stuff.  Great fiddler!  What a great project to work on, Dave!

Well, guys, I got side-lined here…it’s kinda comical and weird and scary.  We were working and then I took my shoes off and suddenly we were shocked…lol…shocked at my foot…like a big, red, swollen weird alien-like “thing,’ is all I can say.  I knew several days ago there was something weird on my foot, but paid no attention…I mean one day it looked like somebody had taken a purple sharpie and drew a small football on the top of my foot…I paid no attention, but my foot was throbbing here today, took off my shoes and shazam…what is THAT?  I may have been abducted by aliens or bitten by a spider that’s just not harmless or something.  Mike threatened to make me go to the doctor, but instead I hunted down our neighbor who is a psychiatric nurse…lol…maybe just what I need.  She didn’t know what to make of it but thought I might have a few more days before I would need a doctor…whew…I have phobias and stuff and doctors are one of the forbidden categories.  Not to mention the cost is ridiculous, and any medicine Ive ever taken has made me sicker than I was before.  They give you a price…you pay it, then the bills start really coming in…I mean, I got the whole complicated medicare now cause I’m old and all that, but I’m just so burnt out with figuring out the bureaucracy and all the stuff and nobody believing me when I say I’m allergic to all that medicine and stuff, and not particularly caring for sitting underneath brilliant grow lights while some stranger pokes around on me…no…don’t wanna go.  So Mike went on down the hill and I stayed up here in the house with my shoes off, and remembered he has activated charcoal for soap making.  So I says to myself…that will make this “thing,” this weird thing, go away.  So I got some, made a mess…to my total alarm it stained our countertop that Mike so painstakingly cut and installed a few years ago…so then I scrubbed that to death, finally resorting to baking soda by the clumps, I mean BIG clumps of baking soda…scrubbing until my arms ached…and I think the stains are pretty much gone.  Then I made a paste of the charcoal after having gone through that disatrous spill…put some on my weird alien foot…then held up my foot by the fan until it dried.  I then proceeded to check my email…and a few minutes later, discovered my foot was leaking charcoal…everywhere…the carpet, the throw rugs, the floor, the couch!  I didn’t realize I had traveled so far since applying the charcoal!!!  So I had to go all around the house throwing huge clumps of baking soda on every surface and scrubbing the daylights outta everyhting…thinking if Mike comes back up the hill and sees all the mess I’ve made trying to avoid the doctor…lol…oh gosh…well the furniture is the worst part…the couch just smeared into the surface like crazy… like I was TRYING to paint it black!!!  Well it’s not an expensive piece of furniture…but…I mean, I’ve scrubbed until my arms feel like they’re falling off.  And there’s still a notable smudge on the arm of the couch.  I’ve been busy, I’ll say.  This is just so insane, isn’t it?   LOl…I hope the foot thing goes away…I would include a photo…the nurse up the hill told me to take one so I can see if it’s getting better or worse by comparing…that photo looks really ugly…I won’t share it…nasty-looking.  So…here I sit…stuck unable to wear shoes…going to make a cup of tea and then begin scrubbing the daylights out of the arm of the couch again, and then go around looking for any more of a trail I might’ve left behind.  It’s just very weird.  That’s what I’m up to at the moment…strange foot and I’ve had a lot of terrifyingly disasters around the house to try to undo.

Viewing 20 posts - 481 through 500 (of 1,020 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.