What are y'all up to?

This topic contains 1,019 replies, has 18 voices, and was last updated by cricket cricket 2 days ago.

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 1,020 total)
  • Author
    Frederick
    Frederick
    Participant

You’re sure right there, Cricket. I’ve rubbed elbows with some really good musicians over the years. Especially since I moved to the South with my wife back in 2011. I met many, many really good musicians in the North during the 60 years I lived there, too. The Gibson Brothers are right on the Canadian Border. But, there are many more musicians here in the South and of course many more Bluegrassers and fiddlers.

In the words of Steve: “Yahoo! Skip to my Lou!” lol

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

Well that’s cool.  Also, though, those other musicians are rubbing elbows with a good musician named Fred…very, very good, great musician….can’t forget that!  Now…Yahoo, Skip to my Lou…I’m feeling like I’m turning a little bit green here…lol…watchin’ all you guys get together with such great musicians…lol.  Well, I guess the best fun I’ve ever had was when people used to get together back home…I think we all sounded pretty horrible together, but we just really had fun playing together.  There was one guy who was really good though…he did go on to become a studio musician in Gatlinburg, then after that the musical director for a performing theater there in Gatlinburg, and finally back to studio work for other musicians….during all that time he’s also been in bands in and around Gatlinburg…so yes…I knew him and played a lot with him…trouble is, the last time we saw him was before our daughter was born…so…lol…all my friends are from back in the olden days, seems. Still, I knew him and he was the type that you could hand him any instrument, play a record (those big ol’ black CDs that used to play by needle only, remember?) and give him about 10 minutes and he’d have it down.  That was why he got to be a studio musician in the first place…hes was there and could play whatever anybody reording needed…then he started making the recordings, etc.  Arranging the music and supervising performances for the theater, etc.  He’s still working and I guess not interested in retirement…I would too, if I had that kinda job…heck, I wouldn’t even go to lunch or go home to sleep at night…lol.  Anyway…yeah…it is great to hear of everybody getting to play around such good musicians…I did know one, myself, once…lol, so I guess I’m only about 40 years outta the loop.

fiddlewood
    fiddlewood
    Participant

Right now I’m Just taking a beak from trying to learn “Red Rag” that Luke Price played on the Weiser video I shared. Been at it for a few days now and almost have the first time around memorised…with my own built-in mistakes of course…

I drove across State to play with a couple band members and two guys setting in on Sat. long day…left at 5 and got home at around 3am.

First hour set we did went great. Then got a break for an hour. finished up & headed home.

I sang Tenor the whole time and couldn’t believe my voice lasted. I usually sing all Baritone and take lead on a couple songs. The guys haven’t heard me sing Tenor and were quite surprised & happy…I was just happy i still had a voice at the end of the night…

• This reply was modified 1 year ago by fiddlewood fiddlewood.
    cricket
    cricket
    Participant

Well we got called out of bed early to go down through a bunch of traffic with a jug of gas and stand there on the crowded interstate putting gas in somebody’s car, hoping the trucks would get out of the lane and not kill us…kinda stuff that happens way too often and now getting ready to saw some wood… try to create some oak parts somebody else desperately needs and can’t get a hold of.  So…no music for me or the chihuahuas yet…that’s retirement…lol.  Do everything people from all over the place need ya to do.  if it was up to me…I’d never leave the house…I’d grow veggies, cook veggies, hug chihuahuas, be with Mike or other close family from our tiny clan, and ….. PLAY on the Presonus!!!!  I’d never do anything else.  Oh gosh…it’s voting day…I better drink more coffee!  Gotta get back out into those crowds and traffic again…lol.  Almost forgot.  We can’t use the saw if it starts raining again…ugh…maybe vote when it rains.

Frederick
    Frederick
    Participant

Cricket, I voted today, too.

Got a call tonight from an upright bass player I’ve known for several years now. I’ve been in a couple of bands with her and she’s having a bunch of musicians over to her place this coming Saturday night for a by-invitation-only Bluegrass jam session. She wants me to bring my fiddle and my banjo. It’ll be the night of the 10th. I don’t have surgery until the 14th so I’ll make this one my last one until after I recover (how ever long that’ll take, I just don’t know).

I also have to perform with a band the 8th (this Thursday night) that she’s in called “3rd Day Resurrection”.  I normally pick on Sunday afternoons, too, with another band, but I think I’ll make Saturday the cut-off point in prep for surgery.

I’m kinda looking forward to the surgery to get a hold on my cancer problems, but I’m not looking forward to a lengthy recovery period where I can’t lift anything or do much at all. But, eventually I’ll be back on track and when I am, I intend to treat myself to a pedal steel guitar. Yahoo!

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

Wow…sounds like a cool jam and fun performance too.  I’ll be pulling for you and praying your surgery goes extra, extra well and you can get back up and running again very soon.  Stay in touch…enjoy all that fiddling and banjo-ing…get well, and show us some photos (or videos if you can get some) of that new steel guitar!

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

Cooking my pumpkins today…trying to get all of them cooked if possible…but, hey it’s keeping the house warm at least.  I usually have them cooked and in the freezer by now, plus have horseradish made by now…I’m running behind…lol.

Frederick
    Frederick
    Participant

“A Palabra pointing at The Presonus and the Pumpkins”

Not panglossian, an ancient palaeosophy, palative and not a palaver of palilalia, through palinola, the Presonus has performed particularly pleasingly.

But, per the pumpkins and pumpkin panary, (pallescent pertaining to procrastination while playing with the Presonus), I must presume to posit that anything panduriform in shape and position is a fiddle and not a pumpkin.

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

Oh my goodness…lol.  Well that’s a piece of work, Fred…lol.  I’m gonna need a dictionary to get all of that…lol.  You are amazing!

But in the meantime…yes, this morning we had pumpkin waffles with blackberries atop and dandelion jelly…the only thing from afar was the rice which I made the batter from…lol.  I DID grow rice one year, but de-hulling and polishing was more than I could manage!

• This reply was modified 1 year ago by cricket cricket.
    rodger
    rodger
    Participant

Oh my….Fred do you really think with your diagnosis that pumpkin panary is the latest threat to world stability?  And that Cricket is in grave danger? Possibly even stringing up a punkin & playing Here’s Mud in Your Eye, so that we all get it stuck in our head & can’t sleep?  I might be immune because we can’t raise pumpkins here & I have to make my pies out of carrots.  (which you can’t hardly tell the difference)

Cricket, that must be the best diet ever…having to polish up each grain of rice before you eat it.  I’d starve before I got one serving finished.

Frederick
    Frederick
    Participant

Cricket, I must admit, I have never had a pumpkin waffle nor dandelion jelly. I have had dandelion wine before and after I acquired a taste for it, it actually was pretty good! The waffles sound tasty. I’ve been eating some pumpkin spice and cream bread trying to use it up.

Yes Rodger, I believe Cricket must be very careful not to let the pumpkins interdimensionally enter her Presonus without her knowing, thereby  profoundly affecting her palladian palinola in the palpebration of an eye.

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

Fred, I hope you don’t wear out the P’s on your keyboard…lol.  Dandelion jelly, by the way, is just about the same as making dandelion wine.  We don’t drink, so when most people made wine, we just made it into jelly…it tastes similar.  I usually soak equal amounts of rice and water, then throw that into the blender by morning…that makes a great batter for the waffle iron, in and of itself, once it’s blended to the point where it’s like a thin batter with what looks like kosher salt.  It’s pretty amazing…I add baking powder and pink salt to that…but for kicks and thrills, and because I don’t know how to leave well enough alone, I like to add something else…cooked, mashed pumpkin is a good thing.  Then we like fruit on top of a waffle with either dandelion jelly or violet blossom jelly, or syrup from those or maple syrup or sorghum, etc.  Makes a pretty nice breakfast.  This year I’ve got so much pumpkin I’m gonna have to be making pumpkin something-or-other pretty often or else I’ll run into next year’s pumpkin before we get through it all.  Lots of waffles, muffins, etc., etc., etc.

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

Rodger, the whole thing is sounding like some sci-fi / horror scenario!

John (BGD)
    John (BGD)
    Keymaster

Fred, that sounds like fun! I love it when I’m the only fiddler — but then, I enjoy attention, lol! Last weekend was just swarming with politicians around here. I managed to put in a plug for Virginia Foxx, our NC-13 Congressional representative who brought her family to the concert and went on to win her 8th House term. True story — when my daughters visited Washington DC, Virginia Foxx planned their day for them. John Boehner sang “Happy Birthday” to Arwen, and they were star-struck by Paul Ryan, who they said was much more handsome in person. They were even allowed to go onto the floor of the Senate to cast a vote for Representative Foxx. Later, Arwen realized that she had forgotten to remove her boot knife. I guess we’re lucky we didn’t see this headline: “Congress Shut Down by Knife-Carrying Home-Schooler from North Carolina”

I’m in Beaufort, SC tonight. Tomorrow night I’ll be in Troutman, NC, then Sunday I’m playing a wedding in Granite Falls, NC. Here at BGD, I have recorded lessons for the melody and harmony parts to “Prairie Spring Waltz,” and I hope to finish it up with the metronome and performance videos on Tuesday!

Frederick
    Frederick
    Participant

Wow! John, your children are sure being exposed to the real fun parts of life. I’m very happy for them and for you and your wife. It’s wonderful that you are able to travel near and far enjoying music with your family and friends. It’s also wonderful that you bring so much fun to others, both in your travels and here on this site.

Have a great day.

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

I’ll agree, in the famous and very efficient way Steve does: “What Fred said!”  What do you think, Steve?

Steve Srader
    Steve Srader
    Participant

Just being lazy and in a hurry to add my own chatter , Ha

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

lol…nuh-uh…I can’t ever believe anybody who practices the way you do is in any way shape or form lazy…lol.

Steve Srader
    Steve Srader
    Participant

well maybe the wrong word , more like pressed for time , as I am now caring for my 90 year old mother and trying to squeeze everything else in !

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

I hope things are going well for you and your mother, Steve.

Well, speaking of lazy or pressed for time…I’m thinking I really need to make some pumpkin butter…I think the last time I made that stuff was when my daughter was 3 years old, and now…she’s…well she’ll be 40 in a few months…lol.  Oh gosh, that makes me feel kinda old, i can’t even imagine myself being as old as 40…shhhh…don’t tell her I told anybody her age.  But anyway, I have so much pumpkin everywhere right now and just trying to think up pumpkiny things…pumpkin butter would be a great thing!  I remember makiing peach butter one time only…that took so many doggone peaches…but that wsas the best stuff I ever had…I just haven’t usually had access to so many peaches at one time…lol.

Steve Srader
    Steve Srader
    Participant

Just don’t look in the mirror and everything seems the same through your eyes until you see yourself , Ha !

Frederick
    Frederick
    Participant

Pumpkin butter? Wow! I don’t recall ever hearing about that. How does it taste? I like apple butter and maple sugar butter.

John (BGD)
    John (BGD)
    Keymaster

Thank you Fred! And Steve, thank you for caring for your Mother. It is an inspiration to see that. Cricket, send some pumpkin butter this way!

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

Steve…trust me, I try not to do much lookin’ in a mirror…lol. Fred, pumpkin butter is some good stuff…we used to make it all the time, but back then it was biscuits that we mostly ate it on.  I never thought I’d grow up to be allergic to wheat…lol…that puts a big challenge on the biscuits…sometimes I make them but they just aren’t the same…so I’m more into waffles or something like hoe cakes,  etc.  Pumpkin butter is good…I like to put cinnamon and cloves in it, cook it down with maple syrup or something else, doesn’t take too much, depending on the pumpkin.  My pumpkins aren’t that sweet.  I never heard of maple sugar butter…that sounds yummy to me!  How do you make it?

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

Hey John, you can make it in a crock pot if you’re strapped for time!

Frederick
    Frederick
    Participant

Cricket, I never have actually made it (maple butter) myself, but when I was a young boy, I worked for a farm that made all kinds of maple butters, cremes, and candies and tons of maple syrup. I used to get to sample all kinds of stuff they made. It was fun. Back at my family’s farm, I had over one hundred trees tapped and would collect the sap each night after school and put it in the big dairy milk cans and my dad would take it to the Torrance farm each night and they would purchase the sap from me. The sap had a very high sugar content. I would make about $7.00 per evening doing that. I also would boil some of it into syrup on the weekends for our own use.

Here’s a recipe I found on the web: Pour maple syrup into a medium saucepan; add cinnamon. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat. …
    Immediately transfer mixture to the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment. Beat, starting on low and increasing to high, until mixture is thick, opaque, and creamy, about 8 minutes.

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

Wow…sounds like a fun job, tasty too!  I would love to tap trees, but haven’t gotten it together to do that yet…lol.  Sure sounds fun.  The recipe sounds yummy.  Fortunately, because Costco came to us several years ago, we have access to affordable organic maple syrup…always too expensive before Costco…so it’s become one of my favorite sweeteners, etc.  That’s why I started using it in my coleslaw, etc.  Maple syrup is delightful stuff.  I’ll have to try that one of these days when I can get to it.  Things are kinda busy here these days…we all know how that goes…lol.  Always too busy to keep up with all the ideas running around in yer mind, it seems.

fran h
    fran h
    Participant

Sounds great Fred. There is nothing more fun then playing with a nice group of jammers.

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

Well daggone…I made my pumpkin butter this morning, and afternoon…lol.  It’s been so long since I made this kinda stuff I flatout forgot exactly how it’s done… so I kept guessing and guessing…is it pumpkin butter yet?  Because I was tired of standing over the hot stove stirring my arm off…lol.  Finally, I poured myself a cup of coffee and declared it to be pumpkin butter, if for no other reason,  because I got tired of fiddling with it.  Tastes pretty good, so …that’s what counts.  Same reasoning when I stop playing atune on the Presonus…I get tired of fiddling with it, or just run out of time.  That works, hey?

fiddlewood
    fiddlewood
    Participant

Well, I’ve been on the computer today, and managed to create a big mess for John to clean up.

Tried to set up an account I want to sponsor for a new student and not only didn’t get his set up but managed to downgrade my own at the expense of new payments.

On top of that, I looked outside and my Mulberries have now decided to drop all their leave on to of the early snow we got…and they drop a ton of leaves all at once.

Fiddle is adjusting to the dryer Winter atmosphere in the house and acting up…tuners letting loose, going out of tune, all the usual stuff.

Maybe I’ll just sit here in the chair and not touch or notice anything the rest of the day…

• This reply was modified 1 year ago by fiddlewood fiddlewood.
    cricket
    cricket
    Participant

Rough day, Dave…hope it all goes bettrr.

fiddlewood
    fiddlewood
    Participant

Well, I went out and blew  leaves ’til dark and cleared one front yard.

Had an email from John and he cleared up my goofs here.

Fiddle is in tune for the moment.

So, it’s all ending on a good note…

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

Great!  Happy times…yay!  I didn’t run my vaporizer (always sounds like a sci-fi gun to me) for my fiddles today because the house stayed warm and steamy due to my constant cooking down of pumpkin innards…lol.  Now they probably all smell like pumpkin pie…but they are staying in tune ok, for now.

Frederick
    Frederick
    Participant

It’s kind of a “Fiddler’s Dream” to get a “Fire On The Mountain” going and be “Angeline The Baker” cooking pumpkins with “Brilliancy” using “Beaumont’s and Stone’s Rags” to clean up while “Home With The Girls In The Morning” (Sally Ann, Sally Goodin & Sally Johnson) while relying on “The Memory Waltz” to remember the recipe.

As long as you don’t have any “Whiskey Before Breakfast” and don’t spread no “Durham’s Bull”, you’ll end up the “Star Of The County Down” either going “Over The Waves” or “Over The Waterfall” (or “Under The Double Eagle”) ain’t sure which.

Well, “Sail Away Ladies”, I’ve got to head to “Washington County” with “Tom And Jerry” for “The Wednesday Night Waltz” o’er at “Old Dan Tucker’s”.

Steve Srader
    Steve Srader
    Participant

What Fred said ! Ha short cut !

Frederick
    Frederick
    Participant

Meanwhile, O’er at “Old Dan Tucker’s”, I run into “Bill Cheatham” and “Old Joe Clark”. They were acting like a “Bully of the Town” tryin’ to get “Black Eyed Suzie” to look at ‘em, but she was more interested in “Cottoneyed Joe” and told the boys “I Don’t Love Nobody”. He’d found a “Cuckoo’s Nest” in “Cripple Creek” and told “The Dusty Miller” about it, but by the time he come up from “Down Yonder”, it was “Done Gone”. I hollered “Get Up John”, but he was still in his “Golden Slippers” saying “Goodbye Liza Jane” when there come a “Hell Amongst the Yearlings” up on “Jerusalem Ridge”. I took some “Liberty” and cried out “Hop Light Ladies” while the “Little Beggarman” was shoutin’ “Don”t Let Your Deal Go Down” but “The Cattle in the Cane” chased “Billy in the Lowground” all the way up “Bitter Creek” under a “Georgiana Moon” around “Midnight on the Water”.

It was an awful “Fiddler’s Dream” to be sure! You don’t “Say Old Man”!

Steve Srader
    Steve Srader
    Participant

Fred’s still at it , turn it into a song , Ha ! ?

Angela
    Participant

Not as great as Fred’s potential song. But have you heard this one:

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

My gosh, Fred…you’re cracking me up here…lol.  This would be a great song or even monologue on stage before your band plays…lol.  Very clever.

Good song, Angela!

Frederick
    Frederick
    Participant

Thanks y’all. It’s fun playing with words. Angela, thanks for posting that video. They must all have such a blast making those.

Cricket and Steve, it’d be easier to make it into a monologue than to measure it out into a song, I think. It would take a lifetime of re-writes to adapt it to iambic pentameter. lol.

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 1,020 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.