What C'hup To for Playin' n' practicin'

Online Fiddle Lessons Forums What else is on your mind? What C'hup To for Playin' n' practicin'

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 65 total)
  • Author
    FrederickFrederick
    Participant

Last night at practice we decided on what banjo and fiddle tunes we’re going to do as well as resonator guitar and mandolin tunes.

We’ve got a two-hour gig coming up next Thursday (the 22nd) and we’re ready for it although we’re still gonna practice 6 hours this Saturday to further make sure. (Yep, we’re all addicted to Bluegrass!)

Fiddle tunes I’m gonna play in the 1st set are: Somewhere in Texas, I’m Confessin’, Those Memories, Washington County, Old Love Letters, and Missouri Road.

Banjo tunes are: Sitting on top of the World, Long Gone, Evalina, Blue Kentucky Girl, My Little Girl in Tennessee, Pickaway, Sunny Side of the Mountain, Blue Ridge Mountain Girl, and Flatt Lonesome.

Fiddle tunes for the 2nd set are: End of the World, Farewell Party, Mighty Dark to Travel, Black Mountain Rag (on AEAC# tuned fiddle), I love You Because, Gardenia Waltz, and It Rains Just the Same in Missouri.

Banjo: Rough and Rocky, Jennifer Waltz, Fireball Mail, Crazy Heart, Foggy Mountain Breakdown, Long Black Veil, Lime House Blues, and McHatties’s Waltz.

Last time we performed there, we had 5 encores!

We now have 80 tunes that we are proficient at that we can draw from in a moment’s notice that we’ve rehearsed a bunch of times.

This band “Hit or Miss” is a lot of fun for me to be a part of. 🙂

Gunnar SalyerGunnar Salyer
    Participant

Cool! Is there any YouTube clips of y’all?

FrederickFrederick
    Participant

Here’s one I found:

KaeleighKaeleigh
    Participant

Nice! I love the band name? I wish I was part of a band!

MoonShadowsMoonShadows
    Participant

Sounding good, Frederick!

cricketcricket
    Participant

Nice, Fred!  Good job fiddling there…do you play banjo for them too?  Funny, I’ve noticed the mando players tend to get the giggles at one point or another when they are playing…lol…seems a common occurrence from what I’ve seen.  Y’all sound great.

FrederickFrederick
    Participant

Thanks, Kaeleigh. I sure hope you get to be part of a band…you certainly play well enough and deserve it 🙂

Thank you, Jim. I appreciate it.

Thanks, Cricket. yes, I play banjo for them, too. The videographer filmed our practice last night so after he edits it all, I’m sure he’ll post some to YouTube. He’s the one who did this video. I noticed there’s some other outfit called “Hit or Miss”, too.

Steve SraderSteve Srader
    Participant

Nice Fred , by the way I sing and play , It Rains just the same in Missouri ! Great tune !

Gunnar SalyerGunnar Salyer
    Participant

Nice! Y’all sound great together!

FrederickFrederick
    Participant

Thanks Steve and Gunnar. I appreciate it.

I’m back home from band practice today. We only practiced for 4 hours. So, it was an early quit. We all feel like we’re ready for Thursday night. Yes!

FrederickFrederick
    Participant

Well, it took me the better part of the day (over two and a half hours, lol) but I’ve learned how to fiddle “Spider Bit the Baby” all three parts and almost up to the speed that Kenny Baker played it, not quite, but close.

This is a great fiddle tune for the key of C.

cricketcricket
    Participant

Ouch…spiders and fiddle tunes in C…painful…lol.  Hope you’ll play it for us one of these days, Fred!  I’m sure it’ll be fun to hear!

FrederickFrederick
    Participant

Hi Cricket: I sure will play “Spider Bit the Baby” for you, real soon. I’ve got it up to speed now so I’m feeling a whole lot more comfortable with it.

Since this thread is about “What C’hup to for playin’ and practicin'”, I’m heading off to my Monday night get-together with several of my Country music buddies for an evening of Old Country. I’ll be fiddlin’. It’s lots of fun. I look forward to Monday nights. So, I’ll be “playin'” and “practicin'” all in one. 🙂

cricketcricket
    Participant

Gosh how do you do that?  How do you find so many people to play with?  I can’t find anybody…lol.  Just those crazies that live inside the Presonus and guzzle all the coffee.  Anyway…have fun…have a little extra fun for the crazies in my Presonus!

FrederickFrederick
    Participant

When I first moved to Arkansas it was difficult to find anyone to pick with. Everyone that played any kind of instrument was reserved and kept to themselves and I was not included in anything they’d do.

I told folks about my website and slowly one by one a few would go there and see that I actually could play some. Finally, a fiddler in a local Bluegrass band said he was going to Mountain View to jam with some of his friends at Washington Park and that there would be lots and lots of pickers there. I traveled up there and was accepted into several groups that played that day.

From there I was called from time to time to fill-in for others on fiddle and banjo. That’s how I got my start here. Now I’m accepted as a part of a big family of musicians who play all over the place.

That first year, I went ahead and entered the State Fiddle Championships and got third place. 🙂 That tickled me half to death! lol

cricketcricket
    Participant

Well it sounds like you’ve made many friends around the area.  I’ve been living here for 30 years now and just can’t seem to connect much.  I’m basically a hermit, except when somebody needs something…lol.  One thing is I really don’t enjoy the formality of the jams up here…or the traffic getting there…I guess if I could ever learn to love all that maybe i’d get somewhere.  But I can’t tolerate formalities or traffic.  Anyway, glad to see somebody’s out and about and having fun.  I just think we live in a very weird place…stuck though, I guess.

FrederickFrederick
    Participant

Here’s a YouTube video of our band “Hit or Miss” playing “Lime House Blues” at a practice session at the bassist’s home. (I’m that nearly-bald-headed banjer picker closest to the camera…….)

FrederickFrederick
    Participant

And here’s another one we did the same evening. This one is called “Jennifer’s Waltz”.

FrederickFrederick
    Participant

And here’s another one. This one’s called “Flatt Lonesome”.

cricketcricket
    Participant

Y’all sound good, Fred.  Nice banjo pickin’ and fiddlin’, there!

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 65 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.