What C'hup To for Playin' n' practicin'

Best Online Fiddle Lessons Forums What else is on your mind? What C'hup To for Playin' n' practicin'

This topic contains 64 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by Frederick Frederick 2 months ago.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 65 total)
  • Author
    Frederick
    Frederick
    Participant

Last night at practice we decided on what banjo and fiddle tunes we’re going to do as well as resonator guitar and mandolin tunes.

We’ve got a two-hour gig coming up next Thursday (the 22nd) and we’re ready for it although we’re still gonna practice 6 hours this Saturday to further make sure. (Yep, we’re all addicted to Bluegrass!)

Fiddle tunes I’m gonna play in the 1st set are: Somewhere in Texas, I’m Confessin’, Those Memories, Washington County, Old Love Letters, and Missouri Road.

Banjo tunes are: Sitting on top of the World, Long Gone, Evalina, Blue Kentucky Girl, My Little Girl in Tennessee, Pickaway, Sunny Side of the Mountain, Blue Ridge Mountain Girl, and Flatt Lonesome.

Fiddle tunes for the 2nd set are: End of the World, Farewell Party, Mighty Dark to Travel, Black Mountain Rag (on AEAC# tuned fiddle), I love You Because, Gardenia Waltz, and It Rains Just the Same in Missouri.

Banjo: Rough and Rocky, Jennifer Waltz, Fireball Mail, Crazy Heart, Foggy Mountain Breakdown, Long Black Veil, Lime House Blues, and McHatties’s Waltz.

Last time we performed there, we had 5 encores!

We now have 80 tunes that we are proficient at that we can draw from in a moment’s notice that we’ve rehearsed a bunch of times.

This band “Hit or Miss” is a lot of fun for me to be a part of. 🙂

Gunnar Salyer
    Gunnar Salyer
    Participant

Cool! Is there any YouTube clips of y’all?

Frederick
    Frederick
    Participant

Here’s one I found:

Kaeleigh
    Kaeleigh
    Participant

Nice! I love the band name😊 I wish I was part of a band!

MoonShadows
    MoonShadows
    Participant

Sounding good, Frederick!

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

Nice, Fred!  Good job fiddling there…do you play banjo for them too?  Funny, I’ve noticed the mando players tend to get the giggles at one point or another when they are playing…lol…seems a common occurrence from what I’ve seen.  Y’all sound great.

Frederick
    Frederick
    Participant

Thanks, Kaeleigh. I sure hope you get to be part of a band…you certainly play well enough and deserve it 🙂

Thank you, Jim. I appreciate it.

Thanks, Cricket. yes, I play banjo for them, too. The videographer filmed our practice last night so after he edits it all, I’m sure he’ll post some to YouTube. He’s the one who did this video. I noticed there’s some other outfit called “Hit or Miss”, too.

Steve Srader
    Steve Srader
    Participant

Nice Fred , by the way I sing and play , It Rains just the same in Missouri ! Great tune !

Gunnar Salyer
    Gunnar Salyer
    Participant

Nice! Y’all sound great together!

Frederick
    Frederick
    Participant

Thanks Steve and Gunnar. I appreciate it.

I’m back home from band practice today. We only practiced for 4 hours. So, it was an early quit. We all feel like we’re ready for Thursday night. Yes!

Frederick
    Frederick
    Participant

Well, it took me the better part of the day (over two and a half hours, lol) but I’ve learned how to fiddle “Spider Bit the Baby” all three parts and almost up to the speed that Kenny Baker played it, not quite, but close.

This is a great fiddle tune for the key of C.

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

Ouch…spiders and fiddle tunes in C…painful…lol.  Hope you’ll play it for us one of these days, Fred!  I’m sure it’ll be fun to hear!

Frederick
    Frederick
    Participant

Hi Cricket: I sure will play “Spider Bit the Baby” for you, real soon. I’ve got it up to speed now so I’m feeling a whole lot more comfortable with it.

Since this thread is about “What C’hup to for playin’ and practicin'”, I’m heading off to my Monday night get-together with several of my Country music buddies for an evening of Old Country. I’ll be fiddlin’. It’s lots of fun. I look forward to Monday nights. So, I’ll be “playin'” and “practicin'” all in one. 🙂

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

Gosh how do you do that?  How do you find so many people to play with?  I can’t find anybody…lol.  Just those crazies that live inside the Presonus and guzzle all the coffee.  Anyway…have fun…have a little extra fun for the crazies in my Presonus!

Frederick
    Frederick
    Participant

When I first moved to Arkansas it was difficult to find anyone to pick with. Everyone that played any kind of instrument was reserved and kept to themselves and I was not included in anything they’d do.

I told folks about my website and slowly one by one a few would go there and see that I actually could play some. Finally, a fiddler in a local Bluegrass band said he was going to Mountain View to jam with some of his friends at Washington Park and that there would be lots and lots of pickers there. I traveled up there and was accepted into several groups that played that day.

From there I was called from time to time to fill-in for others on fiddle and banjo. That’s how I got my start here. Now I’m accepted as a part of a big family of musicians who play all over the place.

That first year, I went ahead and entered the State Fiddle Championships and got third place. 🙂 That tickled me half to death! lol

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

Well it sounds like you’ve made many friends around the area.  I’ve been living here for 30 years now and just can’t seem to connect much.  I’m basically a hermit, except when somebody needs something…lol.  One thing is I really don’t enjoy the formality of the jams up here…or the traffic getting there…I guess if I could ever learn to love all that maybe i’d get somewhere.  But I can’t tolerate formalities or traffic.  Anyway, glad to see somebody’s out and about and having fun.  I just think we live in a very weird place…stuck though, I guess.

Frederick
    Frederick
    Participant

Here’s a YouTube video of our band “Hit or Miss” playing “Lime House Blues” at a practice session at the bassist’s home. (I’m that nearly-bald-headed banjer picker closest to the camera…….)

Frederick
    Frederick
    Participant

And here’s another one we did the same evening. This one is called “Jennifer’s Waltz”.

Frederick
    Frederick
    Participant

And here’s another one. This one’s called “Flatt Lonesome”.

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

Y’all sound good, Fred.  Nice banjo pickin’ and fiddlin’, there!

Frederick
    Frederick
    Participant

Thanks, Cricket. I appreciate it. We have a lot of fun picking and grinning.

Steve Srader
    Steve Srader
    Participant

What Cricket said Fred ,

Gunnar Salyer
    Gunnar Salyer
    Participant

What Steve said!

MoonShadows
    MoonShadows
    Participant

Great tunes, Fred. I enjoyed listening.

Frederick
    Frederick
    Participant

Thanks, Cricket, Gunnar, Steve and Jim. Appreciate y’all listening.

Frederick
    Frederick
    Participant

Had a great Bluegrass jam session last night. For two solid hours with only maybe a 30 second break between tunes and songs. Steady, hard-driving good old traditional Bluegrass. I love it! My chair is empty while I take the picture. I play fiddle with this group.

MoonShadows
    MoonShadows
    Participant

Bet it was a lot of fun, Fred! Wish I had folks to play with near me. This music is social music, which means it is not meant to be played alone. I also think I would learn faster if I had others to play with. There is a jam about an hour away from where I live on the first Tuesday of each month from 7-9pm. Problem is I go to bed around 7 or so since I get up at 3am. I am going to try to go to it next month though.

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

Looks like fun, Fred.  I know you’re very appreciative of having folks to play with around you.  Yes, MoonShadows, I hear ya…that’s how it is for me too.  There is a big BG jam down the road here once a month but the traffic getting there makes me insane and it’s very, very crowded at the jam…it’s kinda extreme Bluegrass too…everything played in B or Bb and rapid fire fast…I always think of the time I was just standing there sweating in the big crowded, elbow-to-elbow room, guitar strapped on and slammin’ out chords with the capo on…really kinda boring for me…and I couldn’t even hear if I was making any sound on my guitar, it was so loud in there…I had to look down and see if my strings were vibrating…lol.  A lot of traffic nightmare for really no fun…I never did get to know the people…it’s just too crowded to be personable with people…just a big loud crowd of fast music in a stuffy room.

Frederick
    Frederick
    Participant

The Dobro player is 64, I’m 68 (69 later this month), and everybody else is older than that. Bassist is 89, mandolinist 86, female guitarist 88, male guitarist 75, banjoist 73. Y’all wouldn’t believe the music that these folks make. They’ve all played music their whole lives and it shows! It’s such an honor to be allowed into their world. It took me two years to be accepted into this jam but now I’m very well received.

This is a rare jam where everyone is quiet enough to be able to concentrate on the words of each song and to focus on the meaning of each song. It’s a real flow experience.

Jim, I wish you good luck in finding some musicians closer to your home and not so interfering with your work schedule and required sleep. I know what it’s like to have to travel to play.

Cricket, I understand completely what you’re describing. There’s a couple of jam sessions back in eastern Tennessee that are just like what you are saying. I finally got to where I would not attend and word got out why and one group actually toned it down to where the words could be heard but once in a while they all would slip back into their bad habits. That’s when I wrote this essay:

What Did You Say?
    Did you ever enter into a conversation with someone who would speak right over you when you were responding to their prior remarks? If so, then you know how irritating that can be. Such a person is said to be disrespectful, or at the least, thought of as being rude or lacking fundamental rules of polite conversation.

This same condition applies equally as well to musicians in a jam session or performing a tune in public. Imagine that you’re all playing and singing the popular song “Will The Circle Be Unbroken” and it is your turn to lead-sing a verse. Just as you begin to voice the first line of your verse, the banjo, fiddle or resonator guitar player decides to play “backup” so loudly that it distracts not only you from singing and concentrating, but distracts the listeners from the “heart” of the tune. While the backup “artist” may feel his/her ego has been sated, the story line and consequently the tune, at this point have undoubtedly become a mess and many a listener’s flowing attention to the piece has dropped out of the interest zone. Applause at the end is usually obligatory and not necessarily spontaneous or well deserved.

This is what happens when there is improper etiquette in a jam tune and poor arrangement in a performance piece. It’s one of the main reasons why bands forming at the outer periphery of Bluegrass performance are unable to stay the course and meld together into an integrated musical entirety.

When each individual learns to integrate, chances of success move up rapidly.

Thanks Jim and Cricket for your kind comments.

fran h
    fran h
    Participant

All looking good Fred. Nice playing and nice people

Frederick
    Frederick
    Participant

Thank You, Fran. Great to hear from you. Have a nice day.

Gunnar Salyer
    Gunnar Salyer
    Participant

Yep, looks like fun. I’m also a wee bit jealous, I wish I had folks to play with, oh well I’ll have to break out my presonus later and channel my inner Cricket to try and get something workable lol 😂😂

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

Lol…Gunnar cracks me up.  Fred, nice essay.  There are fun jams and annoying jams or no jams, I guess…lol…seems like.  Whoever has a good jam or friends to jam with, enjoy that, extra, for the rest of us, please!

Frederick
    Frederick
    Participant

Had a great practice session for three hours last night with my band “Hit or Miss”. I played about an equal amount of tunes on fiddle as I did banjo. Here’s some of the tunes we’re playing (mostly from Set #2) when we perform at the various venues around here:

Love Come Home; High on the Mountain; Amanda Jewell; Are You Missing Me; Banks of the Ohio; Big Country; Big River; Bootleg John; Bouquet in Heaven; Cherokee Shuffle; Dark Hollow; Down Yonder; Eight More Miles to Louisville; Fire on the Mountain; Foggy Mountain Special; Freeborn Man; Give My Love to Rose; Haskell Stomp; Clinch Mountain Back Step; I’ll Go Stepping Too; Long Road to Aspen; Theme Time; Ashoken Farewell; and a bunch of others…

It’s a blast! lol

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

Sounds like a great buncha tunes!

MoonShadows
    MoonShadows
    Participant

I found a monthly shindig and jam session closer to where I live held on a Sunday afternoons that will start up again in October (https://www.poconobluegrass.org/events), but it sounds like mostly Bluegrass. I think I will check it out anyway. The one I want to go to is an OT Jam at Godfrey Daniels Coffee House in Bethlehem (http://godfreydaniels.org/event/old-time-jam/). It is hosted by my teacher and her husband. I may just bite the bullet and be exhausted the next day.

While searching, I found an article on Jam Session Etiquette at Blue Ridge Music Trails of North Carolina (https://www.blueridgemusicnc.com/listen-and-learn/jam-etiquette). Thought it was interesting…

Frederick
    Frederick
    Participant

Wow! Godfrey Daniel’s Cafe! I played there once years ago with my band “Lonesome Road”. The guitar player in the band was a good friend of C. F. Martin IV and got us the job. There was an entourage of friendly Japanese investors who wanted to buy the Martin Guitar Company and CF IV invited them to hear our band and discuss any possibility of purchasing the company. They settled on meeting there at Godfrey Daniel’s Cafe and hired “Lonesome Road” to provide the entertainment.

My guitar player/singer was none other than Dave Nichols of Whippleville, New York (a small town near Malone, NY). Dave has done custom work for Martin Guitar for over 40 years now. After we performed, we visited the sawmill and warehouse areas (they’re all different now) and played three different places in the factory itself. (They used to make strings there but I’m told they don’t make them where they used to).

Anyway, Godfrey Daniel’s is a tremendous “feather in one’s cap” to play at.

Have fun there, Jim. It’s a super venue.

Here’s Dave’s website: http://www.custompearlinlay.com

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

Have fun, Jim. I hope it’s something you’ll enjoy!

We have a local Old Time Jam here too…but I guess I’m just too … unjammy of a person, maybe.  I tried it twice.  I don’t like going through the traffic, and then it’s setup in a yuppie restaurant where the food and coffee is weird yuppie stuff and expensive…you are suppoed to eat (I never eat restaurant food and can’t afford the coffee) and watch the one and only local OT band in this region…then move your chairs up and play the same stuff they played with them afterward…the whole affair is boring, expensive, and sort of on the uppity side.  I sure miss just neighbors getting together, having a potluck meal, letting the kids and dogs run and play, and pulling out whatever assortment of instruments and playing whatever we all feel like playing…however we all do…making up stuff, making it all fun and funny and incorporating whatever’s going on at the moment to get inspired for crazy improvising, not caring how somebody famous did it.  That’s what I think of when I wanna jam…I can’t get into the traffic, the parking, the yuppie places and weird food and expensive stuff, sitting there waiting for the band to get done playing, and then into the wee hours getting to mimic what they’d just done while they look off, aloof and weary…that’s all too formal for me, I’m afraid…so…I guess all the jamming that I think of is history by now…people don’t do it, not that I can see.

I even tried the local dulcimer society…oh gosh that was awful.  They wouldn’t let me play vecause I couldn’t read the music in the books…they wanted to send me to the “back room,” where nuns or somebody was gonna teach me notes and only then would I be permitted to sit in the room and play with everybody.  I told them i just play by ear…they’re like….oooooh nooo…we don’t allow that here…tsk tsk tsk…one must march in line together…lol…well, no, they didn’t say it like that…they were nice, really, but it just wasn’t my kinda thing at all…nothing that would be fun for me…so I told them I’d just take off for now and maybe be back another day (meaning, never…lol…the euphemistic way to put that…they were nice people and I didn’t wanna hurt their feelings…I know they enjoyed what they were doing, but I’m just too weird for it, I guess).

Frederick
    Frederick
    Participant

Well, we (“Hit or Miss”) had another practice today from 11:00 a.m. until 4:00 p.m. with a short break in the middle for some snacks. In addition to the tunes I listed up above here on this thread, we also worked on these: Sweet Dixie; Back Up and Push; Panhandle Rag; Roxanna Waltz; Makes Me Wonder if I Ever Said Goodbye; I’ll Never Shed Another Tear; and Mississippi Waltz.

It sure is fun playing with this group. I hope y’all are able to find folks to pick with and enjoy your music. I sure know what it’s like not having folks to pick with. It’s what caused me to move to the South back in 2011. I haven’t regretted it for even 1 day. I spent 60 years up North starved for fellow musicians. They all lived so far away and couldn’t get together very often. I managed to get into Bluegrass bands though and traveled a lot to be able to play.

JBounds
    JBounds
    Participant

I wish I could find some people to just hang out and play with. I don’t really wanna be in a band. I did that for years playing guitar, but it would be fun to just find a few or a group to hang with on weekend nights here and just jam and learn.

But around here it almost seems scarce and I live in southeast, Missouri.  Last time I played with some people was about a month ago when my brother came to visit from NC and went to my cousins house.

My cousin had people he knew from Kentucky and Tennessee for the weekend over. So that was fun.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 65 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.