What C'hup To for Playin' n' practicin'

Best Online Fiddle Lessons Forums What else is on your mind? What C'hup To for Playin' n' practicin'

This topic contains 64 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by Frederick Frederick 1 month ago.

Viewing 25 posts - 41 through 65 (of 65 total)
  • Author
    MoonShadows
    MoonShadows
    Participant

Good story about your experience at Godfrey Daniels, Fred.

So you moved down South to have folks to play with? I can’t believe how far away or infrequent these events are that I find. There has to be more people playing OT around here. Where are they hiding? LOL

MoonShadows
    MoonShadows
    Participant

If truth be told, I am actually somewhat reluctant and hesitant to attend a jam. 1. My shyness in this new social situation; 2. My low level a playing ability with only about 7 month’s experience. I actually just wrote a blog post about this: An Old Time Jam Session.

Did anyone else feel like this before attending your first jam session?

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

Jim, you have a nice website!  Even got a forum on there…nice.

Well I don’t know about all this jam stuff.  Our old friends always called a jam the kind of gathering I described before…very informal and just fun…the ones who didn’t play called it potluck, and the kids just called it playing with their friends.   I guess I never realized what a real jam was until many years after we moved up here and I’d started playing instruments again after a long time having had no time for playing because of long hours at work, etc.  I think I’ve been trying to make them like the ones we had back home…that doesn’t work…it’s an entirely different critter.

I have played on the porch before I started using the presonus…people would stop (our house is right on the road…even encroaches on the road, so if they ever put in a shoulder, guard rail or sidewalk they’d have to tear our house down…lol…ouch) and tell me out their window that they play the guitar, usually, or whatever…and I’m always like, come on up here and sit out here and play with me…I’ve got coffee and we could sit out here and play.  They always say ok, but they never come back.

Our neighborhood is considered “low income” around here (although we feel plenty rich after stuff we’ve been through…all in your perspective, I guess…lol) and some of the houses look a little rough, there’s chickens and goats running around the road sometimes, etc., and especially when I’ve been sitting out playing the banjo (thanks to that dumb movie, Deliverance), people who don’t know where they’re at sometimes would stop, roll down the window, and ask me if it’s “safe” for them to be down here…lol.  There’s the banjo reputation post-Deliverance…I don’t think they’d feel safe to come up on my porch and play.

Anyway, to me, music has always been about friends and good times…I never really wanted to play in bands or whatever, although back home I did enjoy the chances to play in church or at little street festivals and gatherings of various kinds…but mainly I enjoyed sharing musci with others.  I have a really hard time being solitary with it these days.  Several times a week I imagine myself selling all the instruments and hanging up the whole thing…it just makes me feel isolated.  I don’t know what the answer is…the jams, the formal type jams are no fun for me.  I don’t know what people should do.  I guess if you enjoy a local jam or being in a band, you’ve got soemthing good going.  If you always play alone, makes you wonder why you bother with it at all…I always feel like I could be getting something done with that time.  I just wonder why I even keep on doing it.

Steve Srader
    Steve Srader
    Participant

Jim it will always be hard to play at a jam until you become sure of yourself , I myself have to block out what everyone else is doing and push my way through ! As if others aren’t with you , as in bad timing or rhythm or they are in the wrong chord or leaving chords out , I have to just bull dog my way through ! At my jam sessions sometimes there is 12 or more people some are great , some not so great and they all wont to play , Kind of a pot luck of musicians , You never know what your going to get ! I have begun my third year and it’s still hard for me , Playing with the same people like Fred does is the way to go if you can , but that gets into bookings and commitments to your team members !

MoonShadows
    MoonShadows
    Participant

Thanks for the kind complement, cricket. I do like playing alone, but I think I would also enjoy playing with others, and probably increase my learning curve. I have no interest playing in a band…just want to have some fun.

Steve…I imagine I will find it difficult, at least until I get used to it and/or become better at playing, but like I said to cricket, I think it is important to experience playing with others, something I have no experience with yet.

We’ll see. I’ll be sure to let you guys know after I attend a few of them.

Frederick
    Frederick
    Participant

Here’s the Black Mountain rag with my fiddle in Calico tuning.

Gunnar Salyer
    Gunnar Salyer
    Participant

Looks like fun Fred!

Frederick
    Frederick
    Participant

Yes, Gunnar, it’s fun practicing with these folks. 🙂

Here’s another one we have fun at. We were experimenting with stopping at the F# Minor chord each time but I don’t think we’ll continue to do so.

Missouri Road (in A)

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

Y’all are soundin’ good, Fred.  Love that Black Mt. Rag!

Frederick
    Frederick
    Participant

Thank you, Cricket. We sure do have a lot of fun. 🙂

Frederick
    Frederick
    Participant

Here’s a popular banjo tune that our fans request quite often when we’re out and about. It’s called “Pickaway” and it’s a tune by Vic Jordan when he was with Lester Flatt and the Nashville Grass. (I have a fiddle break for it but I rarely get a chance to play the fiddle on this tune as not too many of the banjo pickers I know actually pick this one). I included it even though there’s no fiddle in it just because it was part of our session.

Steve Srader
    Steve Srader
    Participant

All great tunes Fred I like them better live with your group ! Thanks !

MoonShadows
    MoonShadows
    Participant

Enjoyed all three of those, Fred. I like watching your fluid form when you are fiddling. You have a very loose wrist, reminds of how Bruce Molsky plays.

Gunnar Salyer
    Gunnar Salyer
    Participant

Cool tunes! Especially pickaway, I never heard that one before, it’s really cool

Frederick
    Frederick
    Participant

Thanks, Steve. I like them better with a live group, too. Thanks, Jim. I appreciate the kind remarks. Thanks, Gunnar. “Pickaway” is one of my all-time favorite banjo tunes.

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

Nice pickin’, Fred!  Y’all sound great.  I don’t know of the tune either…it does sound vaguely familiar…but not sure where I mighta heard it.  Y’all are good!

Frederick
    Frederick
    Participant

Thanks, Cricket. I really appreciate it.

Frederick
    Frederick
    Participant

Here’s a tune called “Blue Kentucky Girl” that we played at band practice the other night. No fiddle on it but it makes a good track to practice fiddling it.

Frederick
    Frederick
    Participant

Here’s another called “Your Crazy Heart”

Steve Srader
    Steve Srader
    Participant

Good tunes Fred !

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

Nice pickin’, Fred!

Frederick
    Frederick
    Participant

Thanks Steve and Cricket. If we ever have that videographer back, I’m gonna try to sit the farthest away and have the vocalists up closer to the camera/audio recorder. It’s too darned hard to play the banjo quietly. 🙁 lol.

P.S. We’ve got a practice tonight from 6:00 – 9:00 p.m. but I don’t think the video guy is coming. I’m sure looking forward to our practice, though!

• This reply was modified 1 month ago by Frederick Frederick.
    Frederick
    Frederick
    Participant

Here’s some more videos of “Hit or Miss” having fun at practice:

JBounds
    JBounds
    Participant

Some good picking there. Looked like a lot of fun.

Frederick
    Frederick
    Participant

Thanks, John. It sure is a lot of fun picking with these folks. Glad you enjoyed listening to the videos. Thanks, again.

Viewing 25 posts - 41 through 65 (of 65 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.