What have y’all got planned over the Christmans season?

Online Fiddle Lessons Forums What else is on your mind? What have y’all got planned over the Christmans season?

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    Great ScottGreat Scott

Just curious about what everyone has got planned for the Christmas.

Me?  Surfing, beach combing, learning new musical instrument, book, film, and a bunch of other stuff.

Me? Well, I’m playing it safe (health-wise, job-wise, and Interpol-wise,) by still being at the bottom (literally) of the world.  Not safe to return to the US.  The Summer begins officially on December 1 here, and the extremely low population of this place means that the beautiful white sandy almost deserted beaches are a great place to spend days on end.

I’m working on a few projects of my own when I get some spear time. I’ll be working on these all over the Christmas period and well into 2021.  The main one is a 14-chapter book that I began late 2019 but ran into a few hiccups.  It was to be completed this October 2020, but that wasn’t to be.  I hope to finally complete and publish it by deadline of May 2021.  That date is flexible, but I’ll try to stick to it.   I’m also trying to learn a new musical instrument.  I won’t say what it is at this point because I may soon give it up.  Not as easy as I thought it would be.  But, if I can get to master it a little then I’ll see if I can post a video on BGD.

cricketcricket
    Participant

Well, spending your wintertime with summertime sounds like a great way to do that.  Good luck with the book and also with the new instrument.

We’ll be hanging around here in our bubble of 5, like we’ve been doing.  I plan to have a lot of “parties,” I’m calling them…for the 5 of us here, since we haven’t seen other people since March or so…gonna have Christmas and wintertime parties…make pies and popcorn and have something interesint and hopfully kind of fun to do.  Mainly besides that…wait for spring…wait and hope covid leaves the planet and we can all do normal stuff again.

fiddlewoodfiddlewood
    Participant

I’m pretty much a recluse as it is for the last several years…

Regular routine here…fiddling, reading, listening, and hanging out with the dog…might go out & blow snow a few times…if it snows enough this year…

Great ScottGreat Scott

Cricket, you haven’t seen other people since March?  Oh my! What we all should do one Christmas is arrange for al the BGD members to meet up in place so that we can all get together and have one hell of a Christmas shindig.  Or, we could all lob up at Nancy’s new abode in Florida and enjoy the Winter there.  🙂

No matter the number of people at your house, Cricket, I’m sure you’ll be having a wonderful Christmas.  And I know that each of us will all be thinking of each other and hoping that every one is safe, well, and happy.

Dave, recluse is good.  Sounds like you’re gonna be doing all the good things over Christmas.  I always say it just isn’t Christmas without snow.

Great ScottGreat Scott

Cricket, thank you for the well-wishes regarding my book.  I hope I can let you know more about it when it is finished.

I’m also thinking of changing my BGD avatar — something that depicts me more accurately at this stage of life.  (Alright!  I heard that!  Who said, “He should post a picture of a prune?”

I was actually thinking more along the lines of a Galapagos tortoise or a mummy.   🙂

cricketcricket
    Participant

Lol…always a fun thing to read your posts, Scott.  Can’t wait to see your new avatar.

Dave, we’ve been semi-recluse really since moving up here to where we are now…the culture, from one edge of KY to the opposite, seems so vastly different.  We never did figure out how to fit in up here…so, covid isn’t such a shocker…lol…but the freedom to get out and about and just mill around without worry would sure be nice.  It used to snow quite a bit when we first moved up here, but in recent years we hardly get more than a dusting.  I always get the FB “memories” photos from years back with grandson as a toddler and very young child on a sled or building snowmen, etc., and about three years ago he got a big new sled and still has never gotten to use it…weird.  Weird weather.  We had more snow that this back several miles south.

• This reply was modified 1 month, 3 weeks ago by cricketcricket.
    Great ScottGreat Scott

Cricket, It’s called “Climate Change” (cough).  And it’s FRIGHTENING! (cough) And it’s REAL! (uncontrollable coughing).  And in 12 years time, (according to that Cortez woman) we’re all going to be cremated when the Earth burns up.

Well I say, BRING.  IT.  ON!!!  It saves me having to make the decision about being buried or cremated.

Thank you Alexandria Occasional-Cortez for your incredible insight.  You obviously have the gift of profitsey (aptly spelled correctly).  And, an extra thank you for scaring my children!  🙂

cricketcricket
    Participant

It was fascinating to me to see the actual temperature changes that occurred in continental U.S. when air traffic was grounded for 3 days after the 9-11 attacks.  Also, fascinating to me how once politicians listened to scientists about the ozone hole forming in the 80s and its threat to all of life, including human existence itself, phased out chlorofluorocarbons,  we all witnessed the beginnings of its closure, further healed by different atmospheric conditions and such.  I hope to see the day when those in power will take a hard look at scientific predictions and take some responsibility for human activity and possible consequences.  I have to disagree with you, respectfully, Scott, my buddy, because I do think it’s our own doing, mainly from the greed of the wealthy and powerful who can’t let go of fossil fuels long enough to try stepping into a cleaner, safer high-tech existence for our ever-increasing energy requirements.

• This reply was modified 1 month, 3 weeks ago by cricketcricket.
    Great ScottGreat Scott

I welcome your view, most sincerely, Cricket.  My (coughing) was due to a potato chip being lodged in my throat at the time of writing.   🙂

cricketcricket
    Participant

lol…gotta watch out for them tater chips.  Or as my husband calls them, “chippies.”

MoonShadowsMoonShadows
    Participant

Stay home, cut down a tree in the woods and decorate it, put up a creche, exchange some simple presents, make music, prepare a feast, and celebrate the birth of Christ with my loved ones. Keeping it simple; less is more!

MariaRMariaR
    Participant

We are going to go down to our grandparents in a couple of weeks to make the traditional homemade tamales.(The day after my oldest brother comes home!) Then we have school for a week. After that, we are going back for Christmas to see grandparents and cousins from NM. Other than that, things are going to be pretty “quiet” around here.

Hope y’all have a lot of fun for the holidays!!!

rodgerrodger
    Participant

Must be nice to be able to ‘plan’ your Christmas season.  Here, we hunker down and hope to survive it.  Just had a horrible wreck just a bow shot from home …I saw 3 or 4 ambulances (lost count) and one of them had one of our long time older ladies in the church, either dead or close to it…no information due to the shutdown.  A normal Christmas for us is to have a house full of neighbor kids crying, or else everyone just hiding out.  I’m not depressed and being negative either….this is a part of North America that has fallen through the cracks and therefore not publicized.

cricketcricket
    Participant

Sounds pretty rough, Rodger.  But Merry Christmas to you all up there in the frozen north.  I hope the lady in the wreck will recover.

IcebikeIcebike
    Participant

Not a lot different here this Christmas season except being more cautious in where we go and who comes over. I think we have been socially-distancing all our lives; not sure whether that is good or bad. We are having another weird winter here. Below zero one day, then heavy snow, then above 40 and freezing rain.  It was minus 10 F. yesterday and supposed to be about 35 with rain by tomorrow.  I actually miss the old steady very cold weather when there was little ice and it was safer to hike and drive.  We have a one-year old grand-daughter now who makes it Christmas every time we are with her. I hope everyone stays safe and has a great Christmas season regardless of what may be happening around us.

• This reply was modified 1 month, 2 weeks ago by IcebikeIcebike.
    cricketcricket
    Participant

I think every day IS Christmas with a one year old around.  Hope it’s a Merry Christmas for everyone here.

FrederickFrederick
    Participant

Just gonna have fun around the house and with part of our family. Gonna stay away from Covid-19, too. 🙂

cricketcricket
    Participant

It’s a really bad time, covid wise.  Please take care and be safe…we’re trying our best, but gosh it’s just spreading like wildfire all over.  Take heart…the vaccine is supposed to be approved and start making the rounds any day now…if everybody can stay safe until vaccines start getting out and have time to kick in and be effective, we might actually achieve the herd immunity status afterall, and get our lives back to normal.  Be safe, everyone, and hopefully still find a way to have a Merry Christmas.  Next year will be better!

MariaRMariaR
    Participant

Just adding to my previous things about the holidays:

Three of my younger siblings are being Confirmed!

Participant

Christmas for us is very different, and not just because of CoVid. My husband and I are transitioning to parents of adult kids lol. Oldest son–almost 30 has gotten a g/f that he’s serious about. So we’re learning to share. In times past, we’ve always had both of our boys close by at every holiday. I’ve never had to share my kids before. I’m learning to do that. Youngest son seems to be giving up his music, and that saddens me. He can easily pick up anything with strings and within a matter of a week, can figure it out. Now, he says not only can he ‘not’ do it, but he has no interest in it. I have to let him walk his own path (almost 26 years old).

So, trying to maneuver through the holidays because of CoVid is the least of our worries. Seems like family has all drifted away, CoVid or not. Don’t get me wrong–it’s not “bad”… it’s just “different”.

However, that leaves me time to learn the fiddle even more! With the new found time due to absence of family, I’d like to try to use my fiddle for good. Play at nursing homes or something…

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 21 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.