What Is Your Favorite Fiddle Tune?

Online Fiddle Lessons Forums What else is on your mind? What Is Your Favorite Fiddle Tune?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Great ScottGreat Scott

So, what is or what are your favorite fiddle tunes. Feel free to also include violin tunes of the classical / semi-classical or pop variety.

Okay, I’ll go first! I have a few.

Favorite fiddle tunes — to name just a few (in no specific order)

Danny Boy / Londonderry air (this really brings me undone when it is played and sung with emotion) … to be sure, to be sure! 🙂
    Rattle Snake
    The Devil Went Down To Georgia
    All of the Christmas tunes
    What Wondrous Love Is This
    Edel Weiss
    Star of The County Down ( I really like this one!)
    Margret’s Waltz
    When You and I were Young, Maggie
    … and several others

I am a real softy for sentimental, Celtic and Celtic – type Fiddle tunes — as you can probably tell.

Violin tunes

Brahms Violin Concerto in D Major Op. 77 (of course!)
    (It is from this brilliant piece of music by Brahms, that the foundation motif for “that” musical “Evita” was plagiarized. I think Brahms is still turning in his grave) 🙂

The Love Theme from Cinema Paradiso
    The Music of The Night
    Anything from Tchaikovsky
    ….. and the list goes on!

Jump on-board, and let’s hear what yours are! 🙂

Scott

peggyspeggys
    Participant

Favorite fast tune…Chinese Breakdown – It gets feet tapping in a big way
    Favorite waltz…that’s tough, I enjoy playing a lot of them but I would love to be really skilled at The Poor Girl Waltz…it has some nice runs once you get the timing worked out. Margaret’s waltz is lovely and different with the double stops in the second half…I’d like to be able to play it with more ornamentation than I do.
    Can you really pick one favorite???

Great ScottGreat Scott

Hi Peggy! I just logged in a little while ago and saw your reply to this thread. Thank you for your input. I apologize for my late response. I have been off attending to matters closer to home as well as those far off. I love your choice of fiddle tunes. I must have a listen to The Poor Girl’s Waltz. I am sure it sounds very nice.

I reckon it is probably a mite difficult trying to pick a favorite. I suppose though that it is those particular tunes that stir us with emotion that I would probably call “favorite” — the ones we love to hear and the ones we love to play. I am really looking forward to the day when I can progress beyond finger placement and be able to play a shuffle or even one of the Celtic tunes I love so much.

I wonder if others here will chime in and share their list of favorite tunes — I hope they do! Or are we alone in the BluegrassDaddy universe? :0

Participant

My absolute favorite at this moment in time is Drowsy Maggie! Also, Red haired boy and st. Anne’s reel… Definitely on an Irish reel kick at the moment…

Other than reels, I love classics such as Whiskey before breakfast and Shove that pigs foot a little closer to the fire. …. But really I love them all…

I’ll have to look into learning a few that you toe mentioned! It’s nice to have offered suggestions of other people’s favorites!

Great ScottGreat Scott

Hey Brie. Thank you for sharing your favorite tunes. I had not heard Drowsy Maggie before, so I checked out a few youtube videos of it. That is a very nice Irish fiddle tune! And I almost forgot about “Red-Haired Boy”. I never took much notice of this one before, but now that I have listened to it, I really like it. I think it was something about the title that put me off. LOL. And Whiskey Before Breakfast —- yes, please! The tune, that is —- not the drink!

Yes, it sure is nice hearing what other people like, because I am sure that some very nice tunes can pass us by otherwise.

Sorry I can’t help you with your question regarding what chords to play. I know nothing in that realm.

peggyspeggys
    Participant

Ok…I have to admit…I had to look up “Shove that pigs foot a little closer to the fire” and “Drowsy Maggie” both wonderful tunes 🙂
    Once canning season passes I’ll have time to work on my “Red Haired Boy and St. Anne’s Reel” a little more.
    Thanks for mentioning them Brie…I might never have taken a better look at them without your nod.

John (BGD)John (BGD)
    Keymaster

Here is a link to fellow member Jeff Craft playing a variant of “Shove that Pig’s Foot a Little Closer to the Fire.”

https://bluegrassdaddy.com/forums/topic/ruby-with-the-eyes-the-sparkle/

peggyspeggys
    Participant

That was awesome! Thanks for posting the link John…

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.