What is your most sentimental string-related item?

Best Online Fiddle Lessons Forums What else is on your mind? What is your most sentimental string-related item?

This topic contains 11 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by Nancy Parker Nancy Parker 1 week ago.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Nancy Parker
    Nancy Parker
    Participant

The following article was in my  September issue of  STRINGS Magazine. 😋.

Enjoy!     <see below>

Question:  Do you have a sentimental string-related item?

String Players & Makers on Their Most Sentimental String-Related Items

cricket
    cricket
    Participant

Yes, I do have one.  Not a fiddle, but a guitar.  A Fender guitar, that Mike got for me 42 years ago, when he wanted me to marry him.  He knew I had no interest in stuff like jewelry…diamonds, etc., so he got me a Fender guitar.  We always gotta hang onto that one.  It’s aged very nicely too.  I haven’t had my fiddles long enough to have any sentimental stories associated with them…except, thanks to cheap Chinese products, I’ve got a whole buncha fiddle type instruments…lol.  That I am glad for, because of all the instruments I’ve ever played, I truly love playing the fiddle the most.  But I love playing them all.

rodger
    rodger
    Participant

Nancy, after I read all that, I felt just like Charlie Brown in the cartoon when Schroeder described what picture he saw in the clouds, then asked Charlie Brown what he saw…remember that one, where Schroeder graphically described the stoning of Stephen, and Charlie Brown’s reply was, ‘Well, I was going to say a duck & a horse-y, but now….’.

ruckydoo
    ruckydoo
    Participant

My mom had TB (tuberculosis) in 1946 and was admitted to a sanitarium, which usually a death sentence back then.   Telephones were a rare novelty in our corner of the swamp so dad only got to see her on those occasions that someone had a car that actually ran.  A radio station in Crookston MN had a weak little radio station but it reached the 30 miles from our farm to Mom’s san which was also in Crookston.  Requests for song were popular back then and dad and mom sent a request for the song “I’ll Hold You In My Heart Until I Hold You In My Arms” that was one of the love songs that they requested for each other a lot.    Thanks to medicines developed during WW2, a serum was experimented with on Mom and …It worked and she lived another 19 years and gave me 2 more little sisters.

Nancy Parker
    Nancy Parker
    Participant

Rodger:   I bet you have a great sentimental story to share.  ❤️

(I’m still working on my story).

Cricket and Ruckydoo : Thanks for sharing ⭐️ 😊

Icebike
    Icebike
    Participant

Actually mine is a photo pasted in my fiddle case.  When I took up the fiddle again in my mid-50’s, I jammed with a group of ‘senior’ beginner fiddlers.  One of the members was a very talented guitar player and country singer, but rather squeaky and out-of-tune on the fiddle.  He put all his heart into playing his fiddle and his personality just made everyone feel good. We became good friends.  Once, when I was struggling he told me to “lighten up and just have fun, at our age we will never be pros but we can sure have fun playing and enjoying good company”.  When he passed unexpectedly, musicians of all talent levels came together from across the state for a massive jam at his wake.  I keep his photo in my case to remind me to ‘have fun’ every time I play.

Joe

• This reply was modified 3 weeks ago by Icebike Icebike.
    Nancy Parker
    Nancy Parker
    Participant

Thanks for sharing your story, Icebike. 😊

All the stories so far are so touching.  ❤️

To BGD folks:  If you don’t have a sentimental something in your case now; what will you put in your case?

John Cockman
    Keymaster

Hi have a banjolin that was owned by Lulu Bell Wiseman. She was a local girl from Boone who became famous on the National Barn Dance radio show out of Chicago.

Nancy Parker
    Nancy Parker
    Participant

Wow!  Can you attach a photo of Lulu’s (now yours😊) violin?

Steve Srader
    Steve Srader
    Participant

For Me it is my Washburn guitar as it never failed me and I took it on a wild journey all over the states bar hopping for a long 10 year period , I would go from place to place pretty much unannounced some folks would point to in one direction or the other , I just played for tips and always managed to make enough to move on down the road those were my wild days and it still plays it does have some fret and finger board wear and some varnish cracking in the finish but no wood cracks

John Cockman
    Keymaster

Steve, that soundes like a special guitar.

Nancy, here is a picture of Lorien playing Lulu Bell’s banjolin.

Nancy Parker
    Nancy Parker
    Participant

Thanks, John 😊.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Posted in