What’s the best DAW and video editing software?

Online Fiddle Lessons Forums Strings and Things What’s the best DAW and video editing software?

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    Gunnar SalyerGunnar Salyer
    Participant

Ok so recently I got a PC, and it doesn’t have a daw or a video editor program on it. I had previously been using my family’s apple computer, and just used garageband and imovie. (Both kinda meh)
    But now I can get whichever one, and I’m wondering what’s the best free DAW and video programs for windows PC?
    Any help helps thanks

jazzstudentjazzstudent
    Participant

If you have a PC, then the best DAW system you can get is Cakewalk Sonar.  I have been using it since it was released, years ago.  It went through a lot of changes, then was purchased by Gibson and in their inimitable fashion they screwed it up and abandoned it.  Since then, it has been revitalized and is now ‘free’.

https://www.cakewalk.com/products/sonar/try-sonar

For video editing, I use Adobe Premiere, but it is very expensive.  There are a number of very good, free, video editing utilities available.  Perhaps someone else here has had experience with one of them.

Bill

Participant

Cool thanks, I’ll check it out!

Great ScottGreat Scott

Hi Gunnar!

Free video editor:

Five years ago, I made a review type  post about what free Video Editors were available at the time.

Free Video Editor Review

However, technology since then has changed.  I tried a number of the free video editors just so I could offer my own hands-on opinion for the review. I was not personally impressed with many of them. A lot of people use Windows Movie Maker and like its simplicity.  I would suggest you do an Internet search for current ‘Best free video editors’ as I’m sure there would be a few more available these days.

DAW:

Check out Sonar, like Bill suggests.  Sonar was always considered to be a great professional product, and if it is now free, then it’s something to consider.  I wanted to suggest Reaper, but it is only free for 60 days.  To purchase after that time is a very reasonable fee.  I found Reaper to have a steep learning curve (for me, that is). Bear in mind also: what one person finds ideal for their requirements, another person may like something different for theirs. I’m sure some other members will chime in with their thoughts.

I was to create a review of FREE DAWS this year but other matters got in the way.  I hope to create that review next year (2021) and post a copy of it here on BGD.

“The Internet is your friend!”

Participant

Thanks GS, I’ll check those out

jazzstudentjazzstudent
    Participant

Just a note:

Cakewalk Sonar is a complete, fully implemented, sophisticated, professional DAW.  It is not a cheesy, incomplete teaser to get you to buy the ‘fully functioning’ DAW.  As a result, it has a steep learning curve.   Taking it on without some kind of tutorial material would likely cause brain damage – not to mention – horrible frustration.  There is a lot of instructional material on YouTube, but it is not organized in logical, pedagogically sound way.  There is also some useful instructional material available through Cakewalk, and there is a very good ‘user’ forum.  However, I found that the best introduction to the system is available here:

https://www.groove3.com/tutorials/SONAR-Explained

If you decide to go with Cakewalk, the Groove3 tutorial is a good choice to get started.

Bill

Participant

Ok cool, thanks

cricketcricket
    Participant

I wish I knew what y’all were talkng about …lol.  I always thought Apple was the best for all that knda stuff and always sorry I don’t have an Apple computer and hope to get one someday…lol.  I think my recording outfit recommends Apple over windows.

KaeleighKaeleigh
    Participant

Gunnar, I use VSDC movie editor when I have to (if I’m doing picture in picture) it’s free but awfully clunky and difficult to navigate!! My favorite is the old Windows movie maker- it does do much but it’s straightforward and never crashes. (Which is a thing for me because I’ve an old very slow laptop!)

Participant

Cricket, DAW stands for digital audio workstation, and it’s the program you use to record music through the presonus. I think you probably use studio one? And apple computers are great, but ours are almost 10 years old, and so rather limited.

Kaeleigh, cool. Picture in picture was something I couldn’t do using Imovie, and it’s something I want to have the option of doing. Otherwise I just leave my video as it was and be happy lol. What do you use to record multi-track?

jazzstudentjazzstudent
    Participant

Cakewalk Sonar has just introduced a new ‘Early Access’ program.  It allows the user to preview the latest ‘Cakewalk’ releases before they go live.  This is not a ‘Beta’ program.  The new versions are in final testing before release to the public.  I have just taken a look at the first installment of this program and it looks very, very interesting.  If you think this might be of interest to you, you can take part here:

Fox on the Run

Cricket,

Sonar Cakewalk is not simply a utility to allow you to record an audio track of yourself.  It is a fully articulated, professional ‘Digital Audio Recording Studio’.  Here is a sample of a recording I made using an older version of Sonar with my last band:

Bill

Great ScottGreat Scott

Bill, Thanks for all the great information regarding Sonar.  Your band sounds pretty cool!!

KaeleighKaeleigh
    Participant

I just use audacity to record the audio, Gunnar. It works flawlessly until I get up to 7or 8 tracks and then it acts a little weird. So for most things it’s phenomenal 🙂
    Recently I’ve been using a plug in mic instead of just the computer one and that’s been sooo much better. Living in a noisy house (I’m sure you can relate!) it makes it much easier, Besides the sound is much cleaner….. only took me a year to find that out!!! 😀

Participant

Sonar has stopped offering the basic free Home version as far as I can tell. Also they posted an announcement they are letting staff go and are cutting back on monthly updates in the foreseeable future.

I’m not sure what this means to the higher level commercial versions but it doesn’t sound like there’s much of a future. I read into their posted statement that they are seeking to sell the business. I could be wrong about that.

I tried downloading the software and it’s not possible when I click the link.

Cause the times they are a-changin’.

I missed the window I guess.

Participant

Bill, your Fox On The Run video is really great. Love the music especially. So what were you playing on it? Guitar?

jazzstudentjazzstudent
    Participant

Hi Goneworking and Gunnar Salyer,

Sonar has stopped offering the basic free Home version as far as I can tell. Also they posted an announcement they are letting staff go and are cutting back on monthly updates in the foreseeable future.

‘Cakewalk Sonar’ is still free.  In fact, they have just increased the quality and frequency of their support and updates.

You must have gone to one of the old sites.  Go here and you can download the complete, current system for free:

https://www.bandlab.com/products/cakewalk

Thanks for the kind words regarding the video.  I am playing banjo and singing lead on that one.

Bill

• This reply was modified 3 weeks, 1 day ago by jazzstudentjazzstudent.
    Participant

Ok I’m gonna download Reaper in a few days when wifi is convenient. Now just to figure out what video program to use…

Participant

I forgot about Cakewalk! That was my first editing software eons ago! Then I switched to a MacBookPro and used Garage Band and iMovie. I also remember using Allegro… been awhile though. I’ve played with Audacity a time or two–I liked it because it was online.

I’ve gone from a Windows computer to a Mac computer to a simple Chromebook. Audacity, I think is the only thing I’ve found for Chromebook. Their all fun, though!

Participant

Well, I downloaded Reaper and Davinci Resolve. I haven’t done anything in reaper yet, but davinci is not working well, apparently it’s a desktop program and my laptop isn’t fast enough. I’ll let y’all know what I figure out with a replacement

Participant

I got VSDC as a video editor, and so far I like it!

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 22 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.