What’s up, everybody?

Online Fiddle Lessons Forums What else is on your mind? What’s up, everybody?

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 24 total)
  • Author
    cricket
    Participant

Hey…I’m thinking, guessin’, that we’re all extra-overwhelmed with our newly emerging freedom…kinda like those 17-year cicadas coming out in my area here…we all feel like that too…finally emerging from our darkness and flying up to the light of day.  Well, for us, it’s a lot of work on the houses we’ve gotten strapped down with over recent years… trying to think how to ever get caught up…and lookin’ at a summertime of running up and down the road trying to get caught up.  I was hoping to get my little website going good with music discussion, etc., but it’s been so long now since I was there I don’t even remember how to get to it…lol…gonna have to bug my grandson when there’s time to think about that.  I’ll be glad if we can get our work done by end of summer and then get some sort of regular normalcy going on again. I’m behind on the garden already too…lol…I guess we’ll get it all back together if we just get to work and get it all done.

Hope everybody here has things together to enjoy the emerging  lives and find the new norm, enjoy it as much as our cicadas seem to enjoy theirs.

Frederick
    Participant

I noticed the other night here in TN there was a freeze warning. It seems kind of late in the year for that doesn’t it? I fully well understand freezing temperatures in the Adirondacks this time of year but I’m a little surprised at hearing them in east TN.

Oh well. Everything seems to be crazy lately. 🙂

cricket
    Participant

We’ve had some late snows here in KY and some late freezes this year too…unusually cool spring weather.  We’ll be heading to TN in a few weeks to get back to our work that we stopped three years ago…lol…not on purpose, just one thing after another and then the insane year of 2020 on top of all of that.

Frederick
    Participant

Well, here I go again. I can’t stand listening to Byron Berline’s version of the fiddle tune “Foghorn Leghorn” without learning how to play it. I’ve got the first part down where I can play it slowly and now I’m working on figuring out the B part which seems fairly simple. It’s in the key of F and it is a blast to play!

https://youtu.be/1a_STUJasEI

cricket
    Participant

Oh my gosh that sounds hard!  You’ll have to play it for us when you get it down, Fred.

Frederick
    Participant

Will do, Peggy. F is really a pretty key and lots of tunes aren’t that hard to play in it. I also like Hamilton Special, by Aubrey Haynie. I learned this one a few months back. 🙂

https://youtu.be/4gp93p7nKYQ

cricket
    Participant

That’s a nice one!  I know you’ve said many times F is a great fiddling key.  I’ll take your word on that…lol…but I’m just not in that league yet…lol.

Frederick
    Participant

To me, F is cool. The basic chords are F= F A C; Bb= Bb D F; C= C E G and the relative minor chords are: Dm= D F A; Gm= G Bb D; A= A C# E.

Another beautiful tune using these chords is “Lonesome Moonlight Waltz” by Bill Monroe. I love this waltz. https://youtu.be/w0EmHR9znSw

Notice how the “color tone” of the dominant chord in F major (C chord) is the note E which resolves to the F note. Also notice in the relative minor key that the “color tone” of the dominant chord in D minor (A C# E) is the note C# which resolves to the note D.

cricket
    Participant

It’s cool.  You keep this up and I might just have yet another look at fiddling in F…lol.

Frederick
    Participant

I had a wonderful time playing fiddle for 2 hours with “Midnight Grass” on Friday night in Unicoi, TN and also I went to Rheatown on Saturday night and fiddled for 3 1/2 hours with a few really good musicians there at the weekly Bluegrass jam session . Today, I’m invited to the weekly Bluegrass picking party held mostly every Sunday afternoon in Gray, TN. I’ll play fiddle here, too.

It’s just so much fun to be able to get back out there and play some Bluegrass after such a long period without it! 🙂

cricket
    Participant

Great, Fred…glad you are enjoying those opportunities.

Anybody else getting back with their jammin’ pals?

Frederick
    Participant

Thanks, Peggy. I even learned “Welcome to New York” and “Over the Waterfalls” last night. So cool! 🙂

cricket
    Participant

Cool…I don’t know the Welcome to New York one…how is it?  I’ve played Over the Waterfall since before I played fiddle…lol…played on other instruments and finally on fiddle in standard tuning…it’s a fun old tune, for sure.

rodger
    Participant

We’re so far out in the bush we didn’t have to change much of anything here.  The main time we knew what was going on is when we went to town and sometimes had to put a mask on to go in a store.  But here on the Reserve it never shut down gatherings etc.  or changed the ways people interacted like visiting each other, shaking hands or giving someone a hug etc.  So I guess we missed all the stuff you folks had to go through.

cricket
    Participant

Probably not too many places in the whole world who got through it like y’all did up there, Rodger. And so much of the world is STILL going through it too…really, we are lucky here in the U.S. to have gotten a hold of enough vaccine to quickly cover everybody.  It’s really changed things fast.  I hope we can assist other countries that are in a deep struggle with this thing so life can get back to normal for everybody all over the place.

Frederick
    Participant

Here’s a video produced by my friend, Dan Boner who is director of the Bluegrass college at ETSU in Tennessee. Dan is so amazing and this video is so touching I just had to post it here. Life in West Virginia is so similar to the way I grew up in 1950 in the Adirondack Mountains in upstate NY.

I bought my first steel guitar from Dan a few years back. He’s is an incredibly talented musician to say the very least. Hope you enjoy.

https://youtu.be/_nPQE1jXIvQ

cricket
    Participant

I just had time to watch the beginning, but so far, looks like home to me…lol.  I’ll try to get back to it later. Looks good. There’s a neat movie I’d recommend to anyone who likes the bygone days in a rural culture and the music that carries on forward…called The Fifth String, done by my friend Dwight Diller and his buddy John Morris, the best fiddler anywhere around.  It might be out of print and hard to get, but…well the acting is amateur, with those guys and locals just playing their own parts, but the story and the gist of the concept of the movie, plus especially the music itself, is pure genuine rural, old timey stuff that still lives through the surviving music, and in a lot of our memories, those of us who have lived in the recent rural past.  If you can get your hands on it, anyone who likes that kinda stuff will probably love it.  I believe anyone who wants to have a good look inside old time music styles might love it too.

Frederick
    Participant

I just learned another couple of fiddle tunes that I’ve now thrown into my list of fun tunes to play. They are: “Cheatham County Breakdown” (key of C) and “North Carolina Breakdown” (key of G), both from the old fiddler Arthur Smith. They are really simple, easy to pick tunes and fun to improvise on. Give them a try anyone who is interested. Super tunes and super fun! 🙂

https://youtu.be/nOrstX1qxLc

https://youtu.be/Upw1LX-veTI

• This reply was modified 2 weeks, 2 days ago by Frederick.
    cricket
    Participant

Thanks for sharing, Fred!

Frederick
    Participant

You’re very welcome, Peggy. Here are a couple of others I’m having a blast fiddlin’:

Red Apple Rag https://youtu.be/XVYTi-xsAsU

Charmaine https://youtu.be/xniPDqfRyTo

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 24 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.