What are y’all up to? # 3 (Current NEW thread)

Online Fiddle Lessons Forums What else is on your mind? What are y’all up to? # 3 (Current NEW thread)

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 56 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Lot of thought provoking posts here! Scott, sorry for your computer difficulties. Like Cricket, I’d aim for a Mac if I could afford one. For now, I just use a Chromebook. I can’t justify purchasing a Mac or any other computer since anything I basically do is online. No need for a Desktop or hard drive per sae..

Fred… Cricket… I sympathize. Some days the fiddle sounds phenomenal and other days it sounds horrible! Those days I just grab the guitar because I don’t have the mental energy to put towards troubleshooting the fiddle. The guitar makes sense to me.

Dave, I’m somewhere in between. I WISH we had some of our locals that were willing to get together “somewhere” on a Saturday and just jam. Before the shut down, I was able to join an already-established bluegrass jam session at our Senior Center. Maybe 5 months worth. To my knowledge, it’s not opened back up yet.  The other musicians are posting on FB their jam sessions that they’ve traveled several hours to get to. Maybe a weekend camping trip. I just don’t have the wherewithall to make those trips. They’re retired; I’m not lol. As a public school teacher in NE FL, I just don’t have a lot of free time for my hobbies. Weekends are devoted to house cleaning, laundry and such.

2020 will be over soon. Hang in there!

fiddlewoodfiddlewood
    Participant

I can relate…I work 7 mornings/week all Summer at a golf course…so no overnighters.

I’ve been invited to a couple things to play, but ended up staying home & working at learning. I’ve just gotten to where I don’t feel comfortable out playing around people…weird for someone who performed or played out most every weekend for over 35 years.

• This reply was modified 1 month ago by fiddlewoodfiddlewood.
    cricketcricket
    Participant

This is why I like youtube.  It’s not the same as playing with friends, but it just feels to me like it’s getting me out of the house, or off the porch, so to speak.  If just a couple of people watch, I’m happy. But if they comment, and especially if they say they played along or somehow interacted, I get really happy.  It’s not the same, but it’s what I’ve got and it does feel like it gets me out with people.  I started focusing more on youtube before covid, so…I already got used to it.  I’ve tried the jams around here and I just don’t like them enough to bother with it…I’m sure they’re all shut down now, but I didn’t have fun there anyway.

I’m very happy with my chromebook…pretty cheap and pretty good.  Whenever I make youtubes of myself instead of just with my recorded music…which really hurts because I am so camera shy…lol…I use the chromebook to make the video.

One thing bad though…I’ve tried to play along with other tracks…like something I had playing on a speaker, while recording, and the chromebook does tend to try to cancel out one sound for another…so it doesn’t work out too well for making a video with tracks…at least it didn’t for me.

FrederickFrederick
    Participant

I had a great time at the Old Country jam session last night. Instead of playing my usual fiddle numbers, I decided to throw a few different tunes at the fellas each time it came around to my turn. I played “Maple Sugar” (an old Ward Allen tune), “Golden Slippers (this time in the key of D instead of G), “Big John McNeil” and “Bill Cheatum”. The guys loved it. I had a great time playing along with so many of the old country songs the folks sang.

cricketcricket
    Participant

Sounds like a really good time, Fred!  Hope you thoroughly enjoyed it yourself, and then some for the rest of us…lol!

FrederickFrederick
    Participant

Thanks, Peggy.

I’ve been having a lot of fun on and off fiddling some great tunes. Windy City Rag, April’s Reel, Pass Me Not, Daley’s Reel, Cheyenne, New Camptown Races, Maple Sugar, Beautiful Dreamer, Blue Violet Waltz, Angel’s Waltz, Gardenia Waltz, Big John McNeil, Blue Mountain Waltz, and quite a few others, too. I love it when everything comes together…..although it’s not as frequent as it used to be. Fun to slowly be getting back into the swing of things. 🙂

cricketcricket
    Participant

I’ve only heard of a few of those tunes…I guess you’ll have to play them for us…lol.  I tried Gardenia Waltz and …wow…that’s a very tough one to play!  I learned it from the lesson here, but boy is it tough!  Beautiful though.

fiddlewoodfiddlewood
    Participant

I’m working on a waltz called “Redeemed” in Eb tonight. Not as hard to play there as one might think…

BeardogBeardog
    Participant

Hi everyone! I just scanned through this “new” thread. I’m glad to see all of you are still hanging around, in spite of life’s setbacks, hills, and valleys. I have been very busy with life in general, and unfortunately, fiddling and all things music have taken a temporary (hopefully!!) back seat for a while. Sometimes we are reminded in a not so subtle way that “life” is what happens while we are making plans…..

FrederickFrederick
    Participant

Dave, I’m of the opinion that Eb is one of the most beautiful keys on the fiddle. That’s wonderful to hear you’re still playing when you get a chance. ( I had to play “Fulsom Prison Blues” in F# the other night when the singer capoed up two frets on his guitar and played in the E chord shape.)

Beardog, it’s great to hear from you again. I figured you were way too busy. Hope you get some time to fiddle.

cricketcricket
    Participant

I’ve never tried anything in Eb and sorry…I probably never will…lol.  But Dave and Fred, I trust you guys really know your fiddling and if Eb makes the tune sing…that’s where you go.  Hope to hear it soon, Dave.

Beardog, I don’t remember what you do or why you’re busy…but yes, hope that’s just a temporary hold on fiddling for you.  I think so many fiddlers and musicians in general have to put things on hold here and there…supposedly it made the great old timers play even better after they had to take a few years off…lol…ok…that would be good if it’ll work out that way when the rest of us have to put it on the back burner.

Fred…tell that singer to learn to sing in another key…lol.   That’s why capos are such a popular item…too bad for the fiddlers.  I’m sure you handled it well, knowing how you can play.

Seems early in the season for it, but we took out some of our plants this morning…for lots of reasons, but a big part of it was the doggies’ yard was getting to be a narrow corridor for them…lol.  We left some of the greens and the okra, mainly because the okra is just now having its hayday…er…okra day. The bean vines are looking pretty ragged by now, seems early for that too…I din’t know…can’t remember when it usually happens…but we’ll probably be taking them down in a day or two.  I’ve got my hydronponic winter garden started inside already…I should make us a fall garden outside but not sure I have the spaces I could use for that.  Still have squash running all over the place plus the sweet taters doing the same…so … that’s the only places I would wanna put more stuff.  Looks like we’ll have a lot of winter squash and sweet taters this year if nothing terrible happens before then.  I’m just growing some greens and lettuces indoors…that way bright shop lights are all we need.  Grow lights freak me out…burn out your eyeballs.

Not much going on with music.  I might try to play some today but doubtful I’ll have time…this is Granny Day…grandson will be over soon and it’s nonstop action from that point on.  Laser tag, nerf battles, baseball, frisbee, chess, uno, whatever else…

jazzstudentjazzstudent
    Participant

I am a guitar player moving into the fiddle, so I have a different sense of scales and tonality.  Obviously, the most natural keys for fiddle are G, D, and A, and more awkwardly, C.  However, if you  can play in C, you are already forced to play finger positions that are more difficult than sticking to G, D, and A.  I think of keys of Eb, Ab, and Bb as ‘horn keys’.   If you are playing jazz or blues, you better be able to find your way around in those keys.

It takes a little bit of thought to adapt those keys to the fiddle, but, I think you would be surprised how easy it is once you seriously map out the three major scales in the open position and begin to play some arpeggios (major, minor, dom7, etc.) in those keys.

You can find ‘Indian Drone’ videos on YouTube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v0ay8DFEv6g

If you run one of those drone files in the background, it is easy to begin to explore tonality in the appropriate key on the fiddle.

I think it is worth the effort.

Bill

fiddlewoodfiddlewood
    Participant

Fred, yes it’s a great sounding key for this waltz for sure!

I played an entire set (while opening for Osborne bros & R. Stanley) in F#…Band leader/guitar player was overly nervous…stuck his capo in the wrong spot on the first song and never moved it…haha

Pulled Bass for Delia Bell & Bill Grant at a festival once…they played only in C# & F# through both sets.

cricketcricket
    Participant

These oddball keys give me the shivers to even think about…lol.  Even with a capo…to me, well I use capos quite a bit, but they can tend to give the guitar a sound like it just inhaled the helium out of the balloon.

FrederickFrederick
    Participant

Wow, Dave. That had to be quite a test in concentration!

I just learned a “new” fiddle tune this morning. I had never even heard it before now and happen to click on a Michael Cleveland video of he and his band playing it. I’ve since heard a bunch of fiddlers playing it. It’s called “Two O’clock in the Morning”. It’s a blast to play. I’m gonna play it tonight at the Old Country jam I attend on Monday nights just for the fun of it. It’s a simple tune but a lot of fun………. 🙂

Watch those shivers, Peggy…ha ha.

cricketcricket
    Participant

What key is 2 o’clock in, Fred?  Please don’t make my shivers any worse…lol.  Have fun playing it with your pickin’ pals!

FrederickFrederick
    Participant

https://youtu.be/G39uvT2cKUY

In all the videos I’ve learned from this morning, they’re all in the key of D.

I think I’ll try to record it and post it on here this afternoon…..:)

• This reply was modified 3 weeks, 5 days ago by FrederickFrederick.
    cricketcricket
    Participant

Great key…lol.  Nice fiddling, Fred!  That B part reminds me of Flop Eared Mule… sounds great.  Thanks for sharing…I’d never heard that one before.

PatriciaPatricia
    Participant

Hi y’all!

I’m still here; althought I have been a little anti-social for a bit (caused by a change in medicine);  I’m starting to come back out of my shell after a couple weeks, though.

I started violin lessons to get me back up to speed on what I used to know 30 years ago, lol!  What I remember being taught is definitely different that what I am being taught now, and that is probably a good thing.   I am learning how to hold the bow a little differently (a definite challenge after the tendon surgery on my right hand for a boxers knuckle injury – and no, I didn’t get to punch anyone, lol).  I am also working on my posture and such for holding the violin more correctly (another challenge with the hardware in my left humerus/elbow area).  Challenges can make or break ya;  good things will come of all this!

I have learned one thing; I have always had a habit of playing magical, mystical notes with the fingers on my left hand, as if I was playing some music on my invisible violin.  I really seemed to have done it a lot since a car wreck I was in a couple years ago, and wondered just what on earth I was trying to play.  I picked up the violin, and by ear, started to tap out those notes on the strings.  It appears that at some point in my youth, I must have been playing “Love Me Tender” on my violin!  I tried tapping it out and playing it on the A string, and that was too high.  I dropped it down to the D string, and it was perfect, lol.  I am guessing that deep down inside, my little violinist is trying to get out!  🙂

Anyways, I do hope everyone is doing ok!

cricketcricket
    Participant

Finger memory will never let you down!  Glad you are feeling better!

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 56 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.