What are y’all up to? # 3 (Current NEW thread)

Online Fiddle Lessons Forums What else is on your mind? What are y’all up to? # 3 (Current NEW thread)

Viewing 20 posts - 81 through 100 (of 115 total)
  • Author
    MariaRMariaR
    Participant

Hello! Just an update with school:

I’m starting full-time on Monday!!! The whole hybrid thing was pretty ridiculous anyway because we were all seeing people from other classes and the other half of the class, and we went to camp with them, too, so….. Anyway, glad to be going back.😁

Gunnar SalyerGunnar Salyer
    Participant

Well, I just started learning bluegrass in the backwoods…. this tune is hard!! Next time I’m gonna learn something easy, like Bobby Hicks’ Faded Love… lol

MariaRMariaR
    Participant

I hope to hear it soon!

cricketcricket
    Participant

Yes, play it for us, Gunnar!

Hope school is going very good for you now, Maria!

Well I’m still busy learning to use my fingers again…lol…and trying to get past the pain.  I have been messin’ around here and there with instruments, can tie my shoes, can almost hold a half a cup of coffee without dropping it…play guitar really slow and fiddle really slow and easy.  That’s about it…trying to get it all back together again as soon as possible.

Hope everyone here at BGD is staying well and safe.

MariaRMariaR
    Participant

Today was my first day fully in school! (We had a snow day yesterday)

I really hope the fires will be out soon.

cricketcricket
    Participant

Wow…snow day already?  Hope you had a nice day in school!

MariaRMariaR
    Participant

Yeah. We got about nine inches of snow. It was great!!

What are y’all doing for this season?

cricketcricket
    Participant

Wow… we have had snow at this point before, here in our area…but it’s really rare and never as deep as 9 inches, as far as I’ve ever known about.  We usually don’t see it until Thanksgiving or so.

Gonna be a very quiet holiday season for us… besides struggling with my healing bones (don’t know why it’s such a struggle for me…I see other people with broken bones runnin’ around like it’s nothing…lol…wow…first time for me and it’s making me sick all over…hard to keep the chin up too), we have restrictions because of covid activity and safety requirements on people’s jobs that will keep us away from family for the most part.  Just our little bubble of five.  Probably the same for Christmas…I don’t see things changing that fast.  I think we’ll have as much fun as we can possibly have.

What about you, Maria?  And everybody else?

MariaRMariaR
    Participant

I hope y’all will have lots of fun for the holidays. I guess COVID restrictions in our county aren’t that bad, other than masks and an occasional hand sanitizer as we go into stores.

Well, my grandparents are coming over tomorrow and I am going over to my friend/neighbor’s house. (My friend since first grade moved in up the street from us, so we get to see each other a lot)

My family and I are going to drive down to Calexico and Ensenada for Thanksgiving to visit my mom’s side of the family in CA and Mexico. We might stop in NM and AZ to visit with my dad’s sister and his uncles and aunts if the restrictions that stand now are lifted, which I really hope will be.

For Christmas, though, we will drive down to Colorado Springs to visit my dad’s parents. My older brother in the army is going to come home for the season and my two oldest sisters might join us.

cricketcricket
    Participant

Sounds like a lot of great stuff going on there.  Hope you, family, and friends have wonderful times during the holidays!

MariaRMariaR
    Participant

Thanks, Cricket! I am sure we will have a lot of fun.

Participant

We just got into south Africa, and Lord willing will be flying out to the states next week!

Before we left Balama, a former peace corps volunteer who happens to be a good Irish fiddler had just come to visit her old friends in Mozambique, coming straight from Ireland, where she spent the lockdown working on fiddling. When she had previously been there, I wasn’t yet playing music. So I was delighted to learn that she was a fiddler, and invited her over to fiddle. We played together for several hours, I danced some, and we generally had a great time! It was really fun!

cricketcricket
    Participant

Wow…sounds cool, Gunnar!  Are you going to Texas first when you get over this way again?  Safe travels to you, my friend.

Participant

Yep, headed to Texas for my brother’s wedding

cricketcricket
    Participant

Best wishes for your upcoming plans, Gunnar.  Congrats to your brother.

Well guys I’ve been taking part in harder and harder jobs around here, plus getting back to my previous workout routine…nothing big but just what I have tried to keep up with to stay as strong as possible in my old age…and even started back playing clawhammer.  Then woke up this morning…arm swelled up again and pain all the way up to my shoulder…lol…ugh…ok, gotta back off on the enthusiasm here I guess.  Have to give it a rest.  I was thinking the broken bone was history by now, because I could do so many things, but…I guess it’s still capable of sneakin’ up to bite me once in a while…

fiddlewoodfiddlewood
    Participant

Safe travels Gunnar!

Sorry things aren’t healing up as hoped Peggy.

Not much going on here…vet visits, Dr. visits…trying not to mix up my pills with the dogs…

Had a consult with a surgeon this a.m….have to go in for surgery next month for skin cancer.

FrederickFrederick
    Participant

Jeez, Peggy. I hope you get to doing better. It’s just not fair…..

Hi Dave. Hoping you the very best with all you are going through, too.

Happy New Year to both of you. 🙂

cricketcricket
    Participant

Happy New Year, Dave and Fred.  Thanks guys…I mainly rested the arm today and it’s already feeling better by now.

Dave, hope you and doggie are ok and the skin cancer gets gone easily and quickly.

Fred, hope you and yours are doing fine.

And…let’s all hope for a better year ahead…of course, pandemic-wise, it sounds like it’s gonna get worse before it finally does start to get better…but hey…at least they are predicting it WILL get better by end of summertime, 2021…hurray!  Something to look forward to!

Participant

Well darn. Last night I went to play my fiddle, and my bow wouldn’t tighten at all. The nut on the frog had totally stripped out. I have been meaning to get a new bow anyway, but now I really need one

MariaRMariaR
    Participant

Gunnar, That is….. depression.

Cricket, I’m praying that your arm doesn’t get worse and I hope it finishes healing without any more interruptions.

Happy new year, y’all! I hope this year is a lot better than 2020. So far, all I’ve done is go to church and read books.

Viewing 20 posts - 81 through 100 (of 115 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.