When You and I Were Young, Maggie

Full Report This topic contains 11 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by  John Cockman 1 year ago.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author

John Cockman
    Keymaster

When You and I Were Young, Maggie

https://bluegrassdaddy.com/maggie-fiddle-lesson/

• This topic was modified 49 years ago by .

Anonymous

beautiful song. The fiddle and singing were great. will have to learn this one.

Mike Kim

Love this awesome performing and lesson teaching. I thank you very much indeed.Your gentle and velvet voice balms my heart to reminisce the beautiful moment in my life. I am not able to perform the violin, but I enjoy the bluegrass music as you do. May Jesus the Lord’s grace be with you. I love you!

Jeff Churma
    Participant

John,
    It was so nice to come home from a long day of listening and talking to folks ( Im a rehabilitation counselor for the state of ca. ) and spend an hour playing my fiddle. I learned Maggie while traveling through the smokey mountains this summer. I found a Wayne Erbsen book of blue grass gospel tunes. Watching you play it helped me to add some flavor to my version…Its such a great tune to play slowly, but also has a nice sound when its kicked up a notch…You really have a great thing going here. As I mentioned to you earlier, I have a lot of tunes that I have learned, and many are unpolished. Its nice to see some of them on your list, and watching you play allows me to polish them up. I feel like a kid in a candy shop!
    Jeff

erinelizabeth
    Participant

OH, how I love this tune. My Dad’s favorite – I’ll be working on this one.

John Cockman
    Keymaster

It is a beautiful tune! You’ll have to play it for your dad!

nagumaq
    nagumaq
    Participant

Wow, great song, thanks John, so beautiful .

John Cockman
    Keymaster

Thanks Gu, I thought this one went very well.

Participant

I love the way you sing and play this tune. So sentimental, WOW. I must learn it! It will take me some time to get the beautiful sound I hear when you perform it. When I play my fiddle it is always so people can dance and they always ask what are you doing such as: a waltz, foxtrot etc. I can see it’s not a waltz nor a jig but I wouldn’t know how a person should dance to it. Maybe you could help me with that one? Thanks.
    Ann

John Cockman
    Keymaster

It’s a bit slow for the Foxtrot. I think it would fit well with a Night Club Two-Step.

Steve Srader
    Steve Srader
    Participant

Hey John I can’t figure how you end the tune the ending tag is not in the tablature

John Cockman
    Keymaster

Sorry about that, Steve! It was a random tag and not the greatest. The best thing to do there is to either play the last line as the tag, or just end with a long root note.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Posted in