White coat syndrome…the recording sessions

Online Fiddle Lessons Forums What else is on your mind? White coat syndrome…the recording sessions

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    JBoundsJBounds
    Participant

It’s weird I can practice a tune, have it down perfect…until I start recording. Then I mess up it seems a thousand times.

Anyone else have this problem?

FrederickFrederick
    Participant

I do, John. Each and every time. Each day I get older, I get more and more forgetful, too. I’ve found that if I get frustrated by the process, it’ll eventually sink the whole thing and I don’t even end up recording at all.

So I try to go easy and not push it all too fast and hope for the best and try my darnedest to stay on the bright side. There are so many things around to knaw at me….I just hate it when my fiddle gets at me, too! lol

fiddlewoodfiddlewood
    Participant

Welcome to the crowd….lots of people have that happen…Red light syndrome…record light goes on and ability turns off.

JBoundsJBounds
    Participant

Fred, I know what you mean. And my fiddle taunts me sometimes lol

Fiddlewood, it has happened to me most of my life while playing guitar, but it seems worse with fiddle for some reason lol

IcebikeIcebike
    Participant

Glad to hear I’m not alone.  Get a song down well, turn on the recorder, see the red light, and things go downhill fast. I finally found that if I leave the recorder on and keep playing the song until I relax, I’ll play the tune well.  The go back and edit out all the ‘noise’. I find the red light more intimidating than an unfamiliar audience.

Joe

fiddlewoodfiddlewood
    Participant

I don’t get too worked up about it.

1) I’m probably paying more attention when recording and hearing mistakes I was making before but not noticing.

2) I’ve been averaging between 60-70 takes to get something I’m still working on recorded without any catastrophic mistakes in it. I figure I can always do it again…and again…and again…

3) It’s all just for fun at my level anyway.

• This reply was modified 7 months ago by fiddlewoodfiddlewood.
    JBoundsJBounds
    Participant

It’s all in fun for me too. But I’d like to sound like I know how to play something when I record. Alot of times you hear all my mistakes.

I guess I’m just too conscious about it.

cricketcricket
    Participant

YES!  My gosh it’s awful. This is why I love my Presonus…I can just keep trying until I either get something acceptable or just get tired of recording the same thing over and over and over again!  Can’t ever do it like I planned on doing it.  I see the thing record and my mind goes blank.  I can’t even sing…my mouth goes dry and even if I write up the words, I just fumble and stumble and have to do things over and over.  Also, I finally learned how to cut out something I totally mess up and put just that little portion in to correct it…doesn’t always work out, but it does help to keep me from spending hours and hours on a simple little 2 minute tune…lol.  I love doing it, so it’s ok…but I wish I could relax and play stuff the way I thought I was playing it before turning on the machine!  All I can say is…just keep a-goin’, no matter how many times it takes!

Great ScottGreat Scott

John, this is the reason why I gave up recording my own performances, and stopped submitting stuff to the Lion’s Den, etc.  Finding the time to make a performance video was probably the greater thing.    I am not so much a perfectionist.  I am just someone who strives for quality, and getting things right the first time — which I know doesn’t happen in the world of “Showbiz’.  But, the “red light” syndrome seems to be the gremlin that attacks just about every performer.

I like Dave’s attitude towards it— Not taking it too seriously, and having a lot of fun with it.

Steve SraderSteve Srader
    Participant

Me too but I always called it red light fever , a recorder is so unforgiving ! You need someone to secretly record you when your unaware ! Ha

Gunnar SalyerGunnar Salyer
    Participant

Some wisdom from Dave in post #80790

cricketcricket
    Participant

I’ve heard it called Red Light Fever too…I mean, if it’s got so many names, you know how common it is.  It’s kind of like a phenomenon of overthinking what we’re doing, I guess.  Like, if you were sitting there in your home when an alien came down to see you, said…”Hey, show me how to drink, walk, look like a normal human.”  Well, when you tried to show him, you’d do everything wrong…lol.  I mean…when you do something in a natural way it’s so easy, but then once you start to concentrate on it and TRY so hard, you just mess it all up.  That’s my professionaly psychiatric diagnosis of Red Light Fever/ Syndrome/ Headache…etc.  Ain’t no cure except to just keep a-goin’ !

cricketcricket
    Participant

That’ll be 50 cents, please.

JBoundsJBounds
    Participant

The last tune I posted took me like 30 takes.

I just happen to have .50 in my pocket, Cricket. Here ya go lol

cricketcricket
    Participant

Been there/done that.  My Presonus counts how many takes I’m doing per track…it’s just embarrassing…lol.

Thanks…I’ll send you the receipt!

• This reply was modified 7 months ago by cricketcricket.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.