Winter In the Northern Country

Best Online Fiddle Lessons Forums What else is on your mind? Winter In the Northern Country

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    KennyKenny
    Participant

Just wondering how Dave and Roger and some of the others are doing with winter this year.  This can be the coldest spell of winter.

Dave, I hope you are warm with your new furnace!

fiddlewoodfiddlewood
    Participant

Fine & dandy.

Warmest, driest Winter ever here that I remember.

Only second snowfall over 5″ was about a week ago and it’s melting off now. Usually get 73+ inches on average…don’t think we’ve had two feet yet in all.

• This reply was modified 1 month ago by fiddlewoodfiddlewood.
    cricketcricket
    Participant

Where are you located, Kenny?

Here in this northern part of Kentucky it’s been a warm winter also, although still not summer, so I reserve the right to complain…lol.  My grandson got a new sled two years ago and hasn’t had a day to use it YET!  Not last winter and so far not this year.

KaeleighKaeleigh
    Participant

Oh dear! Poor grandson not getting to sled!!! That’s one of the (only) fun things about winter! Although there are years that it’s too cold to sled— like last year— my brothers were so disappointed! But we had a week, I think it was last February, with temperatures-30 and colder- it was kind of fun!
    This year has been inconveniently snowing— but not cold— I don’t think we’ve even reached -10 yet… but there’s lots of snow for here. Of course, I’m only in the northern Midwest, so I’m sure some of you all up there are getting winter!! Although interestingly, most people don’t know this (and probably wouldn’t care lol!!) but Wisconsin and the very most northwestern part of Illinois are the same farming zone as a significant part of southern Canada!!
    Ok, I’m done now 😉 only I don’t want snow until May, like last year!

cricketcricket
    Participant

I got the little vaporizer out a while back for vaporizing my instruments, but so far here it’s been so damp, muddy, gloomy…etc.  I only used it two days so far.  Does anybody know…should you run it when it’s damp outside?  I mean, you still have some kinda heat going inside, but it’s so damp all the doors act swollen, etc., so I’m figuring you don’t need the vaporizer going.  I try to take good care of my instruments but I’m not always sure what to do…lol.  It’s easier to figure out when it’s just flatout cold and not so damp.

We try to get out to the woods for a walk everyday when we can…it’s gotten so muddy in the woods it’s just flatout hard to stand up.  Slippin’ and slidin’ all over the place and if we take the dogs…they have such a low undercarriage we need to really wipe them down before they can come back in.  This weather is obviously better suited for dogs with a lot of ground clearance…lol.

cricketcricket
    Participant

Yes, Kaeleigh… the fear with this kind of winter is that it’ll wait and hit when it oughta be springtime!  I like to be growing stuff and not waiting for the weather to catch up with gardening time…lol.  We’re thinking of possibly trying, somehow, to make it work out to move back down to TN in some future years, if we can still move around and not be too old by the time it would work out…they have such a great growing season down there you can grow stuff that you have problems with up here where we are now.  Of course if I’m 95 years old I probably just won’t care…lol…so…who knows.  We’ve been stuck here for 30 years and maybe it’ll just be forever.  But I would love to have that TN weather for my gardening.

IcebikeIcebike
    Participant

Lately, each winter has been different.  This year it wouldn’t get cold at first.  It was 47F on New Years Eve.  The next day it dropped below zero and has stayed there.  Two weeks of -20F, then up near 0, now back to -20F. The nice part is the snow stays around and it is a lot less slippery driving or walking when it is that cold; the snow squeaks when you walk.  When it does finally move above 0, the school kids will be back out in their shorts waiting for the bus.

cricketcricket
    Participant

Brrrrr…I can’t imagine…too cold for me!

JBoundsJBounds
    Participant

Been cold for the most part here in southeastern, missouri and only one good snow though.

We seem to be just missing the snow that hits more north of us.

cricketcricket
    Participant

We’ve had nothing but mud so far this winter.  Really sloppy mess out there.

KennyKenny
    Participant

Cricket,
    I’m in West Texas and winter has been very mild for even us.  We always pray for rain in West Texas. We are in need of rain once again.

It was good to hear from Dave to know that he won’t have the high heat bills that he sometimes gets and happy that he has the new furnace in case it turns cold.
    JB I have family in Kansas City and they are getting snow this weekend.
    Kaeleigh, I remember the sledding and good times as a young boy in Iowa.  We even got to ice skate on the sidewalks some winters.

Sounds like Icebike is the winner for cold weather this year.
    Stay warm y’all!

cricketcricket
    Participant

I used to ice skate on the pond when I was growing up…they had to bust up big holes in it for the cows to get a drink all winter.  When we didn’t have skates, we’d just play with a cane and a can out there and pretend it was hockey…although I don’t think we knew anything about it.  My great aunt that helped me get a guitar also got me skates, so when it was just me, I got to skate…lol.  Well but anyway, by the time I left for college, the pond wasn’t freezing up much during the winters.  The pond isn’t there anymore…everyplace I ever lived has been destroyed for one reason or another…but if it was, I’m sure it would never freeze hard enough for anybody to play games on or skate on.  Yep…I think the earth has definitely warmed up in my own lifetime.  I used to hear stories when I was little from the oldtimers…people who were born in the 1800s…they talked about how deadly rural winters had been in their younger days…compared with my younger days.  Now…it’s just all mud…lol.  Lots of changes across the decades.

cricketcricket
    Participant

It’s very sad to hear about and know about species decline too…I remember the old timers complaining that you can’t get a good chestnut for roasting from the store or Chinese chestnut trees…and that blackbears didn’t bother people much until the chestnuts disappeared…andthen their sweet mast was gone and they were left with bitter acorns, so they started trying to get something sweeter, which led them to bothering people more.   And the birds used to blacken the skies during migration times…you don’t see much of that anymore…not to mention the bullfrogs we used to eat…don’t see them much…the ash trees around here all died a couple of years back from the emerald borer…maybe from Asia, but not sure where it came from.  I remember the rabbits used to turn white for wintertime…they don’t do that anymore…or else that type of rabbit has disappeared.  We’ve noticed the deer around here are much darker in color in the winter than they used to be.  Adaptation is happening, because it seems a lot of change is happening.  But I hate to see indigenous species disappearing like I have seen over the past decades.  Goldenseal is gone from the woods too…among other flowers.  That ain’t a good thing.  And mud, lol…did I mention the mud?

Gunnar SalyerGunnar Salyer
    Participant

I don’t know about winter, but I just wanted to tell Scott and John that this topic is twinning, there’s two identical, and I assume you aren’t all posting identical responses on two topics. So can this be consolidated?

IcebikeIcebike
    Participant

With our continuing very cold spell, I’ve been spending a lot of time near the woodstove with both the fiddle and mandolin.  More time than usual, but that’s good. I drove into Anchorage yesterday to attend part of the annual folk festival; lots of good music, workshops, and stage opportunities for all level of musicians.  Played with a waltz band supporting a waltz dance class, joined a small jam, and attended a great mandolin workshop; all free.  A good way to escape a -24F day at home.

cricketcricket
    Participant

Sounds like a fun way to get through the winter weather, Icebike.  I knew someone in Alaska, and the way she talked, they had festivals in schools, one type or another, going just about all winter.  She always had them to go to. I thought that sounded like a “cool” (lol…sorry) idea for getting through the rough winter weather.

Steve SraderSteve Srader
    Participant

Arkansas has not had a real winter in quite a few years ! Kind of like you Cricket muddy a lot !

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.